This thread is privately moderated by bill_delong, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 09, 2018, 04:45 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Which 1/10 4WD SCT is the best? ***Updated 14-NOV-2018***

The purpose of this thread is to help folks make an educated decision on what is the best 1/10 4WD SCT (ROAR Spec) for their specific needs. Before we take a look at any specific brands, I would like to share how my Evaluation Index works:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...aluation-Index

I am not going to go into great depth for each car but will do my best to collectively gather key pieces of information to help me evaluate and compare between each choice to help you take some of my preferred variables into consideration. By all means, I would encourage you to add some of your own personal variables and adjust your own weighted index to suit your personal needs as well. I don't intend to cover everything here, but just hit what I perceive as the most important points of consideration (to me) and help you use my guide as a starting point for you to make your own decision on which brand might be the best for your needs.

Keep in mind that at the time of this writing, prices and availability may be subject to change. Please feel free to post up new vehicles or new releases/pricing, and I will do my best to update the thread accordingly.

Race Grade vs Basher Grade?

For obvious reasons, if you will be doing any club level racing on a track, then I would encourage you to only consider a race grade truck with proper team driver support. Industry standard support to be considered "Race Grade" are setups posted on Petit RC:
site.petitrc.com/reglages/SetupSheetDataBase.htm

That's not to say that you can't be competitive with a Basher Grade, in fact I have seen a pro level driver win multiple 4WD SCT titles in my area for the ROAR Region 9 with a Slash, but it takes a very skilled driver who can drive clean for a Basher Grade design to last. Most Novice to Sportsman level drivers with a Basher Grade design will often find themselves spending more time making repairs and sinking a small fortune in upgrades where more than likely if they simply bought a Race Grade in the first place, they would've saved themselves a tremendous amount of frustration and saved money too! If the track in your area has an on-site hobby shop, then I would highly recommend that you limit your choice to only whatever brands they carry on site. I can't begin to tell you how expensive it is to carry enough spares if you choose to support yourself for a given race day. Most drivers who travel to a track without an on site shop (or a shop who doesn't carry the brand they run) will often bring a backup unopened kit just to make sure they have all the spares they need on race day.

The quality you get from a Race Grade is typically far superior than anything you get from a Basher Grade, in many cases you are limited to so many upgrades available for a Basher Grade that you would never have the opportunity to ever get a Basher Grade 100% to a true Race Grade durability/capability standpoint. Expect most Race Grade designs to be based on a corresponding 1/8 Buggy platform where 1/8 plastic is thicker and the drive train is designed to handle 1/8 electronics on 4S. In addition, the geometry and tuning options for a Race Grade will provide a far larger tuning box to make a choice more suitable to your driving style. Starting with a Pro Setup is invaluable... they have already spent a great deal of time tuning the kit for a given track condition, going with a Basher Grade will put you at so many disadvantages that you just need to accept the fact that your only goal is to have fun and not expect to be remotely competitive with a Basher Grade unless you already have the skills to tune your kit properly. Here is a tuning guide to give you an idea of what each tuning option does on a Race Grade kit, many of these features are not typically offered on a Basher Grade:
https://www.teknorc.com/wp-content/u...t_Up_Guide.pdf

If cash is tight, then I caution to not trap yourself with a Basher Grade, I promise you will end up buying twice and ultimately spend more money than buying Race Grade in the first place. To save money, I would buy a used Race Grade, preferably from a local pro/expert driver who has already tuned the kit for the track in your area. Most Race Grade's are designed to stand the test of time (provided they are properly cared for). Be sure to inspect the chassis for any worn parts, particularly wallowed out holes in the arms, sloppy linkages and especially look for damaged out drives... if there is any excessive wear, then pass on the deal and look for something else that has been properly cared for. I can almost guarantee that buying any used Basher Grade chassis would be a bad idea for too many reasons, most Basher Grade's are considered "disposable", they are targeted for entry level drivers who don't want to take the time to build their own kit, which only proves that they wouldn't be interested in performing proper maintenance on their chassis either

In most cases for those who are not interested in racing, but want a quality "basher", I would still highly recommend a Race Grade design. Most folks ask "What's the best basher and what upgrades do I need?"... this makes me do a facepalm every time.... the purpose of buying a Race Grade is that all the upgrades are already included (in most cases), why buy twice??? I digress, the ONLY time I would ever recommend a Basher Grade is if someone has no idea if they want to get into the hobby. Perhaps they just want to try out the 4WD SCT class just to get a feel for it, but they don't want to spend $800 for a quality race grade, maybe they only have a $200 budget... just keep in mind that you will get what you pay for. If I give a good recommendation for a $200 RTR, don't expect to get a $800 value out of it!

I have ordered the following list by highest score, then lowest price in that score range, if you were to give me your budget, then I would simply go down the list to find the highest score for a given price range you are willing to pay:

$399 (KIT) TEKNO SCT410.3___________ Score = 4.75
$429 (KIT) TLR SCTE 3.0_____________ Score = 4.5
$479 (ARR) ARRMA Senton 6S BLX______ Score = 4.5
$299 (RTR) ARRMA Senton 3S BLX______ Score = 4.25
$180 (ARR) Turnigy Trooper Pro______ Score = 4.0
$200 (RTR) ECX Torment______________ Score = 4.0
$335 (RTR) Associated ProSC 4WD_____ Score = 4.0
$209 (ARR) HoBao Hyper 10SC_________ Score = 3.75
$320 (RTR) Traxxas Slash XL5________ Score = 3.75
$360 (RTR) Redcat TR-SC10e__________ Score = 3.75
$389 (KIT) InTech ERSC10____________ Score = 3.75
$399 (RTR) Losi TENACITY____________ Score = 3.75
$399 (RTR) Traxxas Slash VXL________ Score = 3.75
$399 (KIT) Team C TS4_______________ Score = 3.75
$429 (RTR) Traxxas Slash Platinum___ Score = 3.75
$529 (RTR) Traxxas Slash Ultimate___ Score = 3.75
$180 (RTR) DHK Hunter Brushed_______ Score = 3.5
$289 (RTR) DHK Hunter Brushless_____ Score = 3.5
$350 (RTR) Team Energy D10SC________ Score = 3.5
_$99 (RTR) ForceRC WarHawk__________ Score = 2.75

*** Whether you buy a kit or a RTR, these are common parts that I would consider great entry level quality that will stand the test of time, most RTR's will need to have their electronics replaced within a short time and these are the parts that I would recommend either way which I would consider as a "hidden" expense to RTR's having to "buy twice":

$40 - Waterproof Servo
$50 - Radiolink RC4G
$85 - Waterproof ESC
$15 - 15-19T Mod1 Set
$45 - 3S LiPo
$33 - 3500KV Motor

Total = $268 in hidden expenses!

Check out more stuff on My Bookmarks page!
Last edited by bill_delong; Jan 25, 2019 at 04:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2018, 11:22 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
TEKNO SCT410 - RC Tech Thread
Value = 4
Durability = 5
Support = 5
Performance = 5
Overall Average = 19/20*5 = 4.75

TEKNO pretty much sets the standard for all other 4WD SCT's to be compared, this is about as close to perfection that you can get across the board. Only reason I did not score it a 5 in value is because the "A+B Blocks" should be upgraded to aluminum and is not included as a standard part in the kit. One of the biggest selling points for TEKNO is that they offer a lifetime 50% warranty for any broken/worn parts mailed into them with no questions asked which really increases the value for a premium priced kit.
Last edited by bill_delong; Nov 13, 2018 at 01:40 PM.
Nov 13, 2018, 01:09 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
TLR SCTE 3.0 - RC Tech Thread
Value = 3
Durability = 5
Support = 5
Performance = 5
Overall Average = 18/20*5 = 4.5

Losi pretty much checks all the same boxes as TEKNO, but their plastic tends to get sloppy links within the first couple of race days, This doesn't really effect performance, but something to consider if you like to have a nice tight fit with all the working parts. Losi is a bit over priced which is why I marked them as "Average" for value.
Last edited by bill_delong; Nov 13, 2018 at 01:42 PM.
Nov 13, 2018, 01:26 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
InTech ERSC10 - RC Tech Thread
Value = 4
Durability = 4
Support = 2
Performance = 5
Overall Average = 15/20*5 = 3.75

This kit is definitely top quality, but they did not change the blend of plastic on the bumpers and body posts, so it's recommended to update to TBR bumpers and SCTE body posts and then you'll have a very durable contender. Support is very dicey, the brand has switched distributors at least 3 times within the past 3 years making it difficult to predict how well parts support will be in the future. There is not much of a presence for team driver support which also contributes to why I gave such a low support rating.
Last edited by bill_delong; Nov 15, 2018 at 11:27 AM.
Nov 13, 2018, 01:37 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
Team C TS4 - RC Tech Thread
Value = 4
Durability = 4
Support = 2
Performance = 5

This is a dated design that was first introduced around 2012 and no updates have been made. It's a lighter design that is better suited for smaller indoor tracks and is not based on a 1/8 Buggy. Support is dicey with distributors changing hands over the past year, not really sure if the brand will still be around over the long haul.
Nov 13, 2018, 02:14 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
Redcat TR-SC10e - RC Tech Thread - SCRT10 Thread

Value = 4
Durability = 4
Support = 4
Performance = 3

This is a dated design that goes back to 2009, it's basically 2 generations behind and is targeted more toward bashers than racers. I do feel that it presents a good balance across the board as one of the top choices to consider for an entry level driver who doesn't want to build their own kit.
Nov 13, 2018, 02:24 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
HoBao Hyper 10SC - RC Tech Thread

Value = 5
Durability = 3
Support = 4
Performance = 3

Another dated design that goes back to 2009. There have not been any new major releases to this kit, however they have made a series of running updates to improve durability. Highly recommend upgrading to TBR bumpers to drastically improve durability. With the 80% assembled kit, this is the sweet spot for price to minimize waste and allow folks to select their own electronics. I would highly recommend this kit for someone who doesn't want to buy used but is on a tight budget.
Nov 13, 2018, 02:49 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
Team Energy D10SC - RC Driver Review
Value = 5
Durability = 3
Support = 3
Performance = 3
Overall Average = 14/20*5 = 3.5

Lots of upgrades included for the price, computer radio, HobbyWing ESC and 4S power out of the box! NitroRCX doesn't have the best track record of keeping parts in stock year round, and there is minimal talk of this design on the inter-webs offering minimal tips. Looks like a lot of promise, but could be risky on getting proper support.
Last edited by bill_delong; Nov 13, 2018 at 02:57 PM.
Nov 13, 2018, 03:58 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
Losi TENACITY - RC Tech Thread

Value = 3
Durability = 3
Support = 5
Performance = 4

Released around 2017, this was Losi's attempt to target the basher market, however the value/durability is diminished with the need to upgrade the shocks. A savvy buyer might find a decent shock package from a chop shop for around $50, but most folks averaging around $150 for this upgrade when buying new aftermarket parts. I will look for a running update to this design flaw which could potentially increase both value and durability if they address this concern.
Last edited by bill_delong; Nov 14, 2018 at 11:33 AM.
Nov 13, 2018, 04:14 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
Associated ProSC 4WD - RC Tech Thread

Value = 4
Durability = 3
Support = 5
Performance = 4
Overall Average = 16/20*5 = 4.0

Introduced around 2015, this was Associated's attempt to make a bunch of corrections to the ProLite where the ProLite was an attempt for Associated to get into the basher market after the SC10 4WD had failed as a race grade. The biggest mistake Associated made was that they never made a 1/10 SC based on their award winning RC8 buggy design. What we are seeing is just one compromise after another being released from Associated in the 4WD SCT class
Last edited by bill_delong; Nov 14, 2018 at 11:32 AM.
Nov 13, 2018, 04:42 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
Traxxas Slash 4x4 - RC Tech Thread

Value = 4
Durability = 3
Support = 5
Performance = 3

I am giving the same score for all 4 versions of this truck (XL5, VXL, Platinum, Ultimate). Simply put, you are paying for each respective set of upgrades. It's up to the consumer to pick and choose which version best suits their personal needs. I personally feel that Traxxas is over rated in general, but did my best to provide an unbiased score as best I could considering that I feel Traxxas has been causing more harm than good for the industry. More on my thoughts here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...oycott-Traxxas
Nov 14, 2018, 01:27 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
ECX Torment - Rogers Hobby Review

Value = 4
Durability = 4
Support = 5
Performance = 3

Really hard to beat for the price, only upgrades needed is a TBR Bumper, and a servo, which is what is holding back this truck from scoring top marks for value and durability. It's not a very fast truck because it comes with brushed electronics, but for a very first RC, I would seriously consider this one!
Nov 14, 2018, 02:04 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
DHK Hunter - RC Tech Thread

Value = 4
Durability = 4
Support = 3
Performance = 3
Overall Average = 14/20*5 = 3.5

I am going to combine both the Brushed and Brushless versions as the same score, value is a wash based on what the buyer decides. Only necessary upgrade is to replace the stock servo. Parts support is limited to mostly eBay, but I haven't seen any complaints of folks finding parts. The main distributor in the US used to be Hobby People, but they went out of business a couple years ago without any other major player to pick up the brand (that I can find). I would probably pass on this one unless a major US based distributor were to pick them back up.
Last edited by bill_delong; Nov 14, 2018 at 03:11 PM.
Nov 14, 2018, 02:20 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
Turnigy Trooper Pro - RC Tech Thread - URC Review

Value = 5
Durability = 5
Support = 3
Performance = 3

This is a tried and tested platform that has seen some running updates, Value Hobby also sells parts for the ACME version of the truck. As far as entry level bashers go, this would be toward the top of my list of considerations!
Nov 14, 2018, 02:41 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
ARRMA Senton 3S BLX - JerryRigged Notes

Value = 4
Durability = 5
Support = 5
Performance = 3
Overall Average = 17/20*5 = 4.25

Great entry level basher, running updates have been made to improve quality, definitely worth considering for the price!
Last edited by bill_delong; Nov 15, 2018 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply