This thread is privately moderated by Mike Denest, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 03, 2019, 10:37 AM
TAFTS

Kraft 2/3's

Awesome Scott! I have a few of those Krafts. They have all been completely gutted and restored. First picture is the ones I currently have flyable. I flew one yesterday. Second picture is one I gave away at the last Katie Martin Tribute. I also gave the 5 channel away. And I did two more that I gave to friends. One is in England

From my experience restoring Krafts, many got that sticker on their first service. I also think all the ones made in '76 got the Bicentennial badge seen on the one below. It was common for us to send them in for service every year or so to cycle batteries and check the tune. Your sticker could have been from that. I suspect it was made before 76.
Last edited by Scott Todd; Dec 03, 2019 at 10:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2019, 02:43 PM
ƃuıʇɐǝʞ ʇʇoɔs
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotdogX
Love the 3 CH Kraft radio. I had one of those back in the day. Yours is nice!
Thanks - it gets used a lot. Glad I got it. "Launch mode" is a trim change. Nothing fancy here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Todd
From my experience restoring Krafts, many got that sticker on their first service. I also think all the ones made in '76 got the Bicentennial badge seen on the one below. It was common for us to send them in for service every year or so to cycle batteries and check the tune. Your sticker could have been from that. I suspect it was made before 76.
Nice line up

I'm not sure the Sport Series got the "Bicentennial" badge though...and looking in my other transmitters the tags start at the first servicing without the preamble that my 2/3S has. I've got a couple more around here to check when I get time. One of the attached images shows the inside of the back from my Bicentennial Series 7C. The other are my flyable 2.4ghz conversions - I'm planning at least one more for flying vintage RC projects.
Latest blog entry: Sagitta 600 build 2018
Dec 09, 2019, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulturetec
Hi Brian -

I didn't remember that UFOish thing belonging to Ron, that fills in some blanks.

Here are a couple more at NVRC from the early 70s (I have them listed as 1973, could be 1972). Ron is in the middle in front of a Mach One (I assume his).

Funny thing - these days I see guys show up with something along the lines of a Ford Expedition to haul a couple of foamies. Back then nobody had trucks or SUVs but plenty of toys.
Scott, great photos! Great picture of Ron. I remember the pits looking like this before the chain link fence and the old outhouse. Good times!
Dec 10, 2019, 02:15 PM
Shipp, I am like you.
That photos remember me the radio control tent during the F3A competitions;
the tent was full of Kraft (and Proline too) transmitters. It was in the begining seventies.
Il was the good times
Guy
Jan 19, 2020, 12:40 AM
Modeling Retread
Where do I find the pdf list of eligible aircraft? I was looking all over the website but 8 couldn’t find it. Is it being updated for 2020 and that’s why it’s not there now?
Jan 19, 2020, 01:26 AM
VRCS list of eligible Aircraft is here:
http://www.vintagercsociety.org/cms3...rcraft-listing
The designs end at about 1970. It doesn't appear the list can be downloaded as a .pdf

The Great VRCS Kit List for 1981-1983 is on my website:
http://www.btemodels.com/vintage-resources.html#kitlist
It is a list of popular kits from the early 80's. The list can be downloaded as a .pdf
Jan 19, 2020, 09:39 AM
TAFTS
That list is awesome Bruce! I'm in my mid 50's and worked in Hobby Stores thru the early 80's while I was in college. I can picture most of the models on that list While they are almost all gone, many show up on eBay, at swap meets, and here in the RCG classifieds. But if you really have an itch to build a Vintage model, head over to sigmfg.com. Many of those listed are still available
Jan 19, 2020, 05:59 PM
Brighto?
Thread OP
You guys beat me to it. Balsa USA has three great kits available that are eligible here.
Jan 19, 2020, 10:34 PM
Modeling Retread
Oh, no wonder I couldnít the PDF list, it was on your website! At least I wasnít crazy and there was a list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Tharpe
Ö

It is a list of popular kits from the early 80's. The list can be downloaded as a .pdf
I have a Balsa USA Eindekker and a Sig Kougar

I have one Sig 1/4 sc Clipped Wing Cub Iím rebuilding and another on still in the box

I picked up a NOS GP Sportster 40 kit yesterday.
Jan 20, 2020, 11:54 AM
ƃuıʇɐǝʞ ʇʇoɔs
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRW3
I picked up a NOS GP Sportster 40 kit yesterday.
I saw that and thought...gee, there's no way that qualifies.

I was wrong.

Suddenly I feel a little older
Latest blog entry: Sagitta 600 build 2018
Jan 20, 2020, 01:28 PM
Modeling Retread
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulturetec
I saw that and thought...gee, there's no way that qualifies.

I was wrong.

Suddenly I feel a little older
That's funny.

Actually, there is a plane missing from the list, the RCM Sportster (or maybe the Bridi Sportster), the predecessor of the Super Sportster. It was a low wing version of RCM Basic Trainer. It had the familiar Sportster Profile but it had a flat bottom wing. It was 20 class size airplane. (now someone will point out where I missed it.)

I built one. It was a Bridi kit. It suffered from the common problem with unequal stiffness fuselage sides, in the extreme. They say the glue is the strongest part and THEY were right. When I took the original build our of my Ernst Magic Magnet Building Board, the strong side literally broke the soft side. I contacted Bridi and they sent me an entire fuselage kit, with well matched fuselage sides. It was covered with Coverite and painted Yellow and Metallic Blue with K&B Superpoxy. I'm thinking I might reprise the colors when I do this kit.
Jan 20, 2020, 04:45 PM
Brighto?
Thread OP

Approved Planes List

Guys, if there's a design that you think needs to be on the list, contact John Haffner with the information. It helps if you can supply the approximate date of release, wingspan, engine size and where you saw it, built it, etc., etc.

While I think of it, the 2020 Theme Design is the 48 inch Sterling Mambo. Lazer Works has a short kit or you can do it the old fashioned way with patterns and a sharp blade. More information is available on the web site.
Jan 21, 2020, 06:58 PM
Brighto?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Tharpe
VRCS list of eligible Aircraft is here:
http://www.vintagercsociety.org/cms3...rcraft-listing
The designs end at about 1970. It doesn't appear the list can be downloaded as a .pdf

VRCS has a large plans library available through the Members Only page on the website. Search the list for a particular design and if it's available, you can download it.
You can also print a membership card, update your personal information and search the member roster.
Jan 25, 2020, 09:01 PM
Modeling Retread

Swap Meet Score

Went to a local (120 miles, local by Texas standards) Swap Meet in Georgetown. I like swap meets. I see lots of friends, like my pals from the RC Roundtable Podcast. Without a good model airplane hobby shop around, the swap meets are a help. They usually have one or more itenerate hobby shops to get supplies. Today, though, I lucked out on a vintage kit. I picked up a Jack Stafford Sperry Messenger.
Jan 26, 2020, 10:41 PM
Modeling Retread

Texas Event - Vintage Friendly

Combing the AMA contest calendar I found the event below. It allows planes up to Ď95 but itís at least related in spirit. This seems like a good opportunity for South Central VRCS members to have a meet up. Iím planning on going, I hope some other South Central members will join me there.

Space City has a nice grass field. Itís west of Houston. If youíre coming from central Texas itís just north of I-10. If youíre coming from the north, you can use Grand Parkway 99 (toll) to avoid the city. If youíre coming from the east Ö sorry.

Quick Reply