This thread is privately moderated by UpNup, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 09, 2018, 08:51 AM
Who are these that fly?
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Guillows 1903 Wright Flyer, part two

Finished up. Guillows says the 1903 Wright Flyer was for ages 12 and older because itíll often make you feel like a 12 yr-old!

The model is extremely delicate. I can see why many say they donít finish. The plans go from highly directive instructions to photos with labels. The worst advice was to put rigging in the wings before adding all the other elements. Adding the motor, pilot, and chain runs would have been almost impossible.

The wood block provided as an engine was horrible. I googled the real engine and tried to make something a bit more sophisticated. Instead of black thread, I wish it had been thinner or gray. It stands out too prominently.

Yes Iíll be proud to display my Wright Flyer. Once the rigging was in place it became much stronger. The support struts and other pieces make it much stronger, but Iíd never want to throw it to see if it glides.

It makes you appreciate what the Wright brothers invented!
Last edited by UpNup; Nov 09, 2018 at 08:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply