Nov 12, 2018, 08:22 PM

Oh...I wish...

I wish they decided to make this a VTOL. Would not have taken much, since they already have the elevon software for the
X-Vert. That would have taken the launch issues away. And would make this a plane that would much better compete with the other great flying, cheaper, and successful VTOLS on the market.

They do need to get some lower priced planes in their line up, for sure.

But as the DR-1 is, it is severely lacking. I am out.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2018, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcaneer
I wish they decided to make this a VTOL. Would not have taken much, since they already have the elevon software for the
X-Vert. That would have taken the launch issues away. And would make this a plane that would much better compete with the other great flying, cheaper, and successful VTOLS on the market.

They do need to get some lower priced planes in their line up, for sure.

But as the DR-1 is, it is severely lacking. I am out.
X-Vert is a lot heavier compared to the DR-1. More wingload, more speed, more damage in a crash. A hand launch is for the DR-1 absolutely no problem; just grab the wing-tip and give it a go. In the past, I had a MPX Funjet on 4S-lipo without any stability-gadgets, but with a very small, high RPM prop. Even starting the Funjet was no real big issue.
Nov 13, 2018, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZamBeZi
X-Vert is a lot heavier compared to the DR-1...
This. Plus the X-Vert is more complex, with extra servos and such. Just something more to go wrong. VTOL capability is cool but kind of a frivolous novelty for a bird the size of the DR-1.

I also like the lower wing loading on the Delta Ray One. I enjoy the new F-27, but I have to stay on my toes to keep up with it. You can't help but want to fly it fast, with 3S. The Delta Ray One looks like it can still handle some wind (manual implies up to 12 mph) but should be more relaxing to fly.
Last edited by DaveG; Nov 13, 2018 at 10:58 AM.
Nov 13, 2018, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route666
There’s a great video doc on youtube about a bombing mission carried out by a Avro Vulcan during the Falklands war.
Thanks. I'll check it out. I've decided to strip-off the decals on top and go with an anti flash white version of the Vulcan, way, way stand-off scale, of course. That'll keep it on the light side, by not adding any paint, just add some RAF roundels. I wish Horizon would make it pretty much standard policy on their UMX's like this to just supply a set of stickers a buyer can add if they want, like they did with the X-Vert. I don't know who does their non-scale bird schemes but they're way off for my taste. I almost expect them to come up with a double knit leisure suit paint scheme.

Name: Two_white_Vulcans_over_clouds_Gary_Eason_xgaplus.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 152.3 KB
Description:
Last edited by DaveG; Nov 13, 2018 at 12:22 PM.
Nov 13, 2018, 11:52 AM
Slightly more pictures: https://www.flitetest.com/articles/a...-delta-ray-one
Nov 13, 2018, 12:04 PM
The weather hasn't been kind to us the last few weeks, but we did finally get some footage of the Delta Ray One in action and the video is now live!

E-flite® Delta Ray® RTF/BNF Basic with SAFE Technology, 500mm Airplane (2 min 57 sec)
Nov 13, 2018, 12:20 PM
Nice! It sure looks easy enough to hand launch.
Nov 13, 2018, 12:34 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
They are simply different planes for different missions. Love those Vulcan pics! The DR1 was built to be a floater for a trainer, just like the DR0 (zero or original).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG
This. Plus the X-Vert is more complex, with extra servos and such. Just something more to go wrong. VTOL capability is cool but kind of a frivolous novelty for a bird the size of the DR-1. ...
X-Vert (and Mirage and X520) are all roughly same size as DR1 but have only 2 servos, unlike either large or mini Convergence you might have been thinking about instead.

They do have 1/2 again the weight .... most of which is in the electrical gear across the board, an extra larger motor, and especially the weight from 3-4 times the battery (needed to hover for any length of time). Drop in a 450 and the gap shrinks a bit. To me, The X520 looks closest to a DR. In vertical or hover mode they can all go slower than the DR1 because few will be hanging in the air on the prop. A reversing ESC would be cool, though. MAJOR bonus points for anybody who can get the DR1 to fly like this 2 servo pusher wing!

RC Factory Crack Wing Twin Mod. (0 min 56 sec)
Nov 13, 2018, 12:56 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M
The weather hasn't been kind to us the last few weeks, but we did finally get some footage of the Delta Ray One in action and the video is now live!
Beautifully done ... the plane and the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG
Nice! It sure looks easy enough to hand launch.
Yes, Had to laugh at the start of the vid. The manual's concept of placing the plane in the air visually demonstrated!
Nov 13, 2018, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom
They are simply different planes for different missions. Love those Vulcan pics! The DR1 was built to be a floater for a trainer, just like the DR0 (zero or original).

X-Vert (and Mirage and X520) are all roughly same size as DR1 but have only 2 servos, unlike either large or mini Convergence you might have been thinking about instead.

They do have 1/2 again the weight .... most of which is in the electrical gear across the board, an extra larger motor, and especially the weight from 3-4 times the battery (needed to hover for any length of time). Drop in a 450 and the gap shrinks a bit. To me, The X520 looks closest to a DR. In vertical or hover mode they can all go slower than the DR1 because few will be hanging in the air on the prop. A reversing ESC would be cool, though. MAJOR bonus points for anybody who can get the DR1 to fly like this 2 servo pusher wing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHtIODq-CYQ
My error. I was thinking about the mini-Convergence, not the X-Vert. I actually ordered the mini-Convergence but then returned it to HH. Neat concept but it just wasn't for me. I'm much happier with the F-27 and the Delta Ray One looks good, too, as more of a relaxing floater.
Nov 13, 2018, 02:38 PM
Nice video!
Nov 13, 2018, 02:50 PM
I wonder if I just bought the airframe if I could transfer the guts from my UMX P51 over to it. It uses the same proprietry battery and I suspect the powertrain and FC/esc are the same as well . It’s a 4 channel but surely that wouldn’t be an issue.
Nov 13, 2018, 02:57 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route666
I wonder if I just bought the airframe if I could transfer the guts from my UMX P51 over to it. It uses the same proprietry battery and I suspect the powertrain and FC/esc are the same as well . Itís a 4 channel but surely that wouldnít be an issue.
If the A&E servos are on the receiver board there's probably no easy way to do electronic mixing for elevons for AS3X/etc. Perhaps a mechanical mixer? If there is no onboard mixing for a FC, then TX mixing would probably be OK.
Nov 13, 2018, 03:11 PM
Quote:
If the A&E servos are on the receiver board there's probably no easy way to do electronic mixing for elevons for AS3X/etc. Perhaps a mechanical mixer? If there is no onboard mixing for a FC, then TX mixing would probably be OK.
Ya thatís right I forgot about elevator. Wings/deltas confuse me sometimes. Amazing how these things fly with just aelerons and throttle.
Nov 13, 2018, 03:19 PM
Quote:
TX mixing can't work with AS3X because the AS3X movements are wrong.
Its impossible without the proper FC for elevon planes.
It works only when AS3X is disabled on the brick.

Quick Reply