Jul 18, 2019, 08:59 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
That's very subjective. Some people love to fly kites, and that's what this becomes in maybe 12-15 mph. Wind gusts blow it all over the place, but the plane can handle it. Not even very difficult, but I don't know if you'd find it fun or not.

Perhaps you prefer a plane to be able to fly in wind without reacting to it. Just power through. The big brother F27 Evolution is better for that.

But for a DR1 maiden, I'd say 6-8mph, not too gusty, would be fine.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2019, 09:37 AM
K thanks hard line. I have several planes that are great in the wind and are actually more fun to fly when it is windy, but I didn't want to push the lil DR1 too far. I'm really wanting to make sure things work properly before too much time passes. The weather is calling for 8 to 10 mph for the next few days. I'll bring my little UMX F27 Evo too, it's great in the wind.
Jul 18, 2019, 11:09 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I have the FPV version of the UMX F27. The DR1 outperforms it in wind, so that might be the case with yours too. If you're comfortable with the UMX Evo, I'd bet you'll be fine with the DR1 in the same wind. I'd expect more stability but less speed. You can see it a bit further away too.
Jul 19, 2019, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High Mike
Well this past Thursday I had a chance to maiden my DR1.

I tell ya all, I've flown a few planes over time (some with not so good success) and this DR1 is a hoot.

Easy to fly Easy to land Just plain easy and a whole lotta fun. Nice relaxing flights.

I thought this bird was gonna be too fast for me. Not the case at all. She's well balanced and glides nice when I shut down the motor. All I do is give her a little up elevator to glide into the wind.

Awesome Fun Everyone. The Delta Ray One is now my go to plane.
I was surprised by how smooth it flies. I have a XK X520 and I love the vertical power of the twin motors but itís not as smooth and stable as the DR1.
Jul 21, 2019, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High Mike
Well this past Thursday I had a chance to maiden my DR1.

I tell ya all, I've flown a few planes over time (some with not so good success) and this DR1 is a hoot.

Easy to fly Easy to land Just plain easy and a whole lotta fun. Nice relaxing flights.

I thought this bird was gonna be too fast for me. Not the case at all. She's well balanced and glides nice when I shut down the motor. All I do is give her a little up elevator to glide into the wind.

Awesome Fun Everyone. The Delta Ray One is now my go to plane.
You can fly it pretty darn slow, too. I was fiddling around with it this morning and, when properly trimmed, I was crawling through the sky on some low-and-slow passes. Then I broke out my UMX Spitfire. I still love that little bird for early morning missions. I can't believe Horizon doesn't have an updated version of it available.
Jul 22, 2019, 07:17 PM
Maiden flight on mine today. 3 flights. Flies real nice. Not great at hand launching yet. Couple times it drove in to ground at full throttle. Need to get better at that, but very easy to fly on intermediate level once airborne.
Jul 22, 2019, 07:42 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Just remember -- SAFE sets the elevons to achieve level flight. If you point the nose seriously up as you launch it, SAFE will set the elevons down. Launching with down elevons is not a good thing. It might actually cause it to drive into the ground upon release.

Instead, release it level or near level. If it still flies down upon launch, you may have a poorly tuned or mounted receiver. Easy to correct with the radio, but not HH approved so it won't be in the manual.
Jul 22, 2019, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXScorpion
Maiden flight on mine today. 3 flights. Flies real nice. Not great at hand launching yet. Couple times it drove in to ground at full throttle. Need to get better at that, but very easy to fly on intermediate level once airborne.
What technique are you using to launch it? I launch mine in SAFE or beginner mode whatever it is called at full throttle and give it a soft frisbe toss holding a wingtip and then switch to advanced mode once itís flying. Itís never dipped down on launch yet.
Jul 23, 2019, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
What technique are you using to launch it? I launch mine in SAFE or beginner mode whatever it is called at full throttle and give it a soft frisbe toss holding a wingtip and then switch to advanced mode once itís flying. Itís never dipped down on launch yet.
Same here. Launch with SAFE on, just a gentle "Frisbee-style" toss with full throttle and she's airborn. I wish my A-10 was as easy to launch. It would really benefit from SAFE.
Jul 23, 2019, 11:39 PM
I was launching from the wing at full throttle but probably pointing to much up. I will try a more level release next time out.
Jul 24, 2019, 07:54 AM
Quote:
I was launching from the wing at full throttle but probably pointing to much up. I will try a more level release next time out.
Maybe it was stalling. Even with SAFE, you still need some altitude and time for it to recover.
Jul 24, 2019, 10:19 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
If it turns out you need it, I can talk you through a launch mode program. Most DR1s don't need it, but some might. If so, PM me.

I have complex programming on this plane, not because it needs it, but it's an excellent plane for testing various bells and whistles.
Jul 25, 2019, 12:44 PM
Quote:
I had a similar launch issue. At a recommendation, I added some up elevator to one of the TX switches prior to launch. Then switch off immediately. Works fine now.
Jul 25, 2019, 10:29 PM
Thanks guys, I'm hoping to get to try again this weekend. Will let you know how it goes.
Aug 06, 2019, 09:51 PM
450x, 180CFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
How much wind can the DR1 handle before it isn't fun to fly? I want to maiden mine but it's going to be windy for a while.
I enjoy my Timber UMX much more in the wind than I do the DR1...just saying since I see you in that forum as well.

Quick Reply