Nov 08, 2018, 03:04 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Thread OP
Discussion

E-flite Delta Ray One

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...ne-rtf-efl9500

Surprised there isn't a thread on this already.

Saw the team getting product video for this at a local park last Friday. Neat little plane.

Comes in RTF and BNF Basic versions. Either can be upgraded to SAFE+ with an optional GPS board that features some cool OSD stuff for the FPV crowd.

I think as just a fun flyer, some of you speed freaks will have some real fun hopping this one up. The installed board isn't 3S-compatible, but I'm sure that won't stop many of you from trying.
Last edited by Dave Eichstedt; Nov 08, 2018 at 05:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2018, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
I think as just a fun flyer, some of you speed freaks will have some real fun with this. The installed board isn't 3S-compatible, but I'm sure that won't stop many of you from trying.
It looks interesting. Not so much for speed flying where the stryker might be better but for nice gliding with the folding prop.
Nov 08, 2018, 03:51 PM
Looks fun... However I sure wish Horizon Hobby sent out emails after the product videos were posted...
Nov 09, 2018, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt

Surprised there isn't a thread on this already.

Saw the team getting product video for this at a local park last Friday. Neat little plane.

Comes in RTF and BNF Basic versions. Either can be upgraded to SAFE+ with an optional GPS board that features some cool OSD stuff for the FPV crowd.

I think as just a fun flyer, some of you speed freaks will have some real fun hopping this one up. The installed board isn't 3S-compatible, but I'm sure that won't stop many of you RCBABBEL from trying.
Fixed. Yes, this looks interesting. A little lower wing load than the F-27, assuming you use a 2S lipo. Another one where I'd strip the stock decals and go with a warbird-like scheme. With the F-27, I went with an all black on top Russian Berkut-look. With this one, I think I'd go with a WWII German Horten-look.
Last edited by DaveG; Nov 09, 2018 at 10:14 AM.
Nov 09, 2018, 12:26 PM
AeroDan
Been eyeballing this, too. It’ll be my “1st” pusher.
Nov 09, 2018, 04:20 PM
they've re-invented the multiplex picojet, i don't like this version, finally something they've released i don't want, lucky wallet.
Nov 09, 2018, 08:11 PM
Saw this one fly at our club field last Tuesday.
Horizon was there to demo some of the new stuff & answer any questions we had.
He crashed it when launching it upside down (slammed into the club paved runway pretty hard, but only suffered a minor scrape.
He picked it up, put the hatch & battery back in place & tossed it out to fly (very tough little plane)
I'm thinking this one would even be good for some combat flying
Not a "barn burner" & wasn't meant to be, but does have decent speed on the recommended 2 cell battery.
I may end up buying one, cuz I'm thinking this little plane might be lots of fun to fly, especially at smaller flying areas.
IMO, Horizon has a winner with this one.

With this said, I'm pretty sure he told us the BNF version would be selling for a hundred bucks, not 110, but still isn't a bad price.
Last edited by Clive66; Nov 09, 2018 at 08:19 PM.
Nov 09, 2018, 11:31 PM
That weak nose on the DR was problematic. It sounds like maybe this one is tougher.
Nov 10, 2018, 12:09 AM
COOLEST TRAINER EVER!? | E-Flite Delta Ray One (16 min 26 sec)
Nov 10, 2018, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
Saw this one fly at our club field last Tuesday.
Horizon was there to demo some of the new stuff & answer any questions we had.
He crashed it when launching it upside down (slammed into the club paved runway pretty hard, but only suffered a minor scrape.
He picked it up, put the hatch & battery back in place & tossed it out to fly (very tough little plane)
I'm thinking this one would even be good for some combat flying
Not a "barn burner" & wasn't meant to be, but does have decent speed on the recommended 2 cell battery.
I may end up buying one, cuz I'm thinking this little plane might be lots of fun to fly, especially at smaller flying areas.
IMO, Horizon has a winner with this one.

With this said, I'm pretty sure he told us the BNF version would be selling for a hundred bucks, not 110, but still isn't a bad price.
Thanks for that info!
Nov 10, 2018, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
I've got a preorder in for it. I like the new F-27 and this one looks like it'll be nice, too, for when I don't want to go supersonic with the F-27. I like the delta wing and even though it probably can't blast through the wind like the F-27, I'm hoping it can handle a little wind, too, with it's minimal planform, wing-like design, and SAFE/AS3X. I always liked how my old Zagi and Razor wings could flinch off the wind.

Thanks for posting the video!
Nov 10, 2018, 10:05 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
From the video: AFAIK, no rudder or diff thrust is on the model - perhaps adding in rudder stick changes the inbuilt RX mix to increase elevon throw?
Last edited by GottaZoom; Nov 10, 2018 at 10:10 AM.
Nov 10, 2018, 10:14 AM
Doesn't need a rudder & the F-27 has no rudder either.
Nov 10, 2018, 10:33 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
Doesn't need a rudder & the F-27 has no rudder either.
Nobody said it needs one. Watch the video where rudder stick impact is described.
Nov 10, 2018, 11:09 AM
Guess I missed that.
At what point in the video is that described ?
I seldom watch a video that long, especially one that drags out much longer than necc.
I give her kudos for what she's doing, but she's obviously not an expert with this plane.

Quick Reply