Jan 10, 2019, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fscdm
RC-Archer, are you going to sheet the fuse around the pylon or are you going to sheet the fuse and then cut holes to slip the pylon plywood into? if its the latter, you're going to gain another 1/16 off the way you show in your pictures. Dunno if that matters or not, just thinking aloud.
Sheet the fuse around the pylon. And then Im using about 1/4 or 3/8 fillet around both the base and top of the pylon. I want to make sure there is adequate bracing around the base of the pylon before I cover it up.

This was probably the hardest part of building this airplane and once I get this part done, it should be downhill from here.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2019, 12:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Archer
...This was probably the hardest part of building this airplane and once I get this part done, it should be downhill from here.
I need to make the tail surfaces removable as well to facilitate storage and transport, so a bit more armchair engineering to go on mine.

This is only my 4th balsa RC build ever (I built some rubber power and control line models in my youth), and just my second vintage freeflight-to-RC conversion so I lack comfort and familiarity with some techniques and terms. I've built enough things to know that decisions I make now have far-reaching repercussions on ease-of-construction, flight characteristics and airworthiness etc., so I'm at the sit-and-stare phase. I could work for days on things for this build without touching those far-reaching impact elements, but thats not how my brain works, so armchair engineering it is.
Last edited by fscdm; Jan 10, 2019 at 03:32 PM.
Jan 10, 2019, 10:20 PM
I’m going to embed my servos in my tail surfaces. A dowel in front and a pin catch in the rear should suffice to attach the rear feathers.

While I working on it, I’ll think about hooking up a steerable rudder wheel but I don’t seem to think this plane needs it.
Jan 14, 2019, 12:59 PM
I've started planking my fuselage. Of course I have to do it the hard way by planking my fuse with 1/2"X1/16" balsa. It is looking pretty ugly right now but I'm confident that once I run it thru the wood chipper a couple times, it'll look better...
Jan 14, 2019, 01:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I've started planking my fuselage. Of course I have to do it the hard way by planking my fuse with 1/2"X1/16" balsa. It is looking pretty ugly right now but I'm confident that once I run it thru the wood chipper a couple times, it'll look better...
1/2 x 1/16 is what the original article called for. I wish I'd read that before I started sheeting mine, but what I'm doing is working, even if it's a bit tricky to get glue on all the bulkheads and stringers and getting it stuck down without ripples.

No build progress this week. Appliance issues I had in December resurfaced and were the last straw, so all my 'extra' energy has gone into getting my washer and dryer replaced, culminating on what may prove to be the coldest day of the year, (colder than -40 F depending where you were in town), which I don't recommend if you can avoid it.

In spite of no actual build progress I've been shopping for motor. I simply don't get motor selection for these older conversions. Goldberg's Valkyrie seems to be documented with a .60 Brown Jr ignition engine. Franny's (now discontinued) Turnigy TR42-60C 500KV seems an unlikely choice to turn the 16x7 wood prop she says she used--not that I'm doubting her choice, just that the spec sheets for todays electrics in that class don't recommend a prop anyplace close to that size. With that realization, it kind of feels like i'm starting at square 1.

I fly my Lanzo Record Breaker @ 72 oz flies well on 3s with an E-flite Power 40, but I expect the Valkyrie to come in closer to 90 oz, and I really think given all the planking this plane deserves a wood prop out front. Looking at the specs it appears the Eflite Power 46 is almost half again heavier than the Power 52, but even the 52 recommended props cap out at 14x7, so I dunno--given that modern electrics are maybe up to 30% more efficient than their ignition ancestors, I'm worried I'll rip my plane apart putting in a motor that's actually rated for the prop Franny used (not to mention that's getting awfully heavy.
Research continues.
Jan 14, 2019, 03:01 PM
This is what I ended up getting. I think that I was also going to get some 16" props but I couldn't find any at the time.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/propdriv...ner-motor.html
Last edited by RC-Archer; Jan 14, 2019 at 04:07 PM.
Jan 14, 2019, 07:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
This is what I ended up getting. I think that I was also going to get some 16" props but I couldn't find any at the time.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/propdriv...ner-motor.html
Oh nice! 'Prop Test data', that could come in handy. I couldn't get any of the selection 'sliders' on Hobbyking to 'stick' to succeed in a search, I'll poke around a bit more, thanks for sharing.
Jan 16, 2019, 11:03 AM
Just ordered some 16x8 props to try out when the plane is ready to fly.
Jan 17, 2019, 05:14 PM
Thread OP
I've got a bunch of stuff ordered--The original article suggested final pylon location would be CG dependent, so I've got to get the other bits and pieces here.
Here's what I ended up ordering (we will see if I end up using it):
Eflite Power52, brushless outrunner (too much? one of the few motors I could find actually rated to turn a 16" prop--if it scares me I 'll step down and hold onto this bad boy)
Xoar 16x7 electric prop
Hitec HRC13425S servos (they have similar characteristics to the ones Fanny used but aren't metal gear)
80 amp ESC
8 channel full range telemetry receiver (overkill, but who knows what I'll add to this thing down the road)
4" sky wheel aluminum hub wheels.
Also on the way is a few feet of 1/8" carbon fiber rod to use for control surface linkage and wing and tail fastening.
I did get my #2 bulkhead layout transferred to 1/8" ply, but I haven't cut it out yet.
I still need to research some 4-6s batteries for power and figure out how wire things for a separate reciever/control battery. (I have trust issues with BECs.)
Jan 17, 2019, 06:34 PM
I actually think that you can fly the Valkyrie with a smaller motor than the 4258 that I'm using. The Eflight 52 will definately handle the Valkyrie for sure. I think that Franny went with the 4260 motor so she could do near vertical launches.

The 4258 motor is a heavy motor (316g. )so I'm not concerned about putting the servos in the tail to help balance against the weight of the motor.
Jan 18, 2019, 01:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I actually think that you can fly the Valkyrie with a smaller motor than the 4258 that I'm using. The Eflight 52 will definately handle the Valkyrie for sure. I think that Franny went with the 4260 motor so she could do near vertical launches.

The 4258 motor is a heavy motor (316g. )so I'm not concerned about putting the servos in the tail to help balance against the weight of the motor.
The 52 supposedly comes in at 346g, I don't think I'll have any problems either--it may still prove too much for the way I fly. If I don't end up using it for the Valkyrie I'll find someplace for it

I got my plywood bulkhead 2 cut out. Just a bit of shaping yet to do, and some more thinking about how best to affix the landing gear in a more removable fashion. I don't fancy trying to unscrew things between BH2 and BH1 per the drawings, that sounds like a recipe for frustration.
Jan 19, 2019, 12:23 PM
I’m still planking away on my fuselage. I have a lot of little silvers to fill in. I haven’t cut my battery door yet but if I pick the right spot, I should also be able to remove the landing gear and motor mount if I need to.
Jan 24, 2019, 07:19 PM
I’m looking for a simple radio to fly my Valkyrie. My ideal radio would be a small 4 channel computer radio. I have a full house Frsky x9E as well as other full house computer radios that I can use but it just seems soooo wrong to fly a simple 3 ch vintage airplane with a computerized full house 32 channel radio that can chide you in an annoying female voice....
Jan 25, 2019, 01:13 AM
Thread OP
When you get to 4-ch radios, they tend to be on the 'budget' end of gear. With all the effort I'm putting into this build, I'm not taking any chances and am sticking with a DX 8 I trust for the transmitter.
Jan 25, 2019, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I don’t want to use a budget radio either. I’m currently blending my stab into my fuselage right now. This project is definitely NOT easy to do.

Quick Reply