Nov 07, 2018, 11:21 AM
Thread OP
Question

difference between CL & RC engine

I'm a newer for RC aircraft engines. I tried buy a diesel engine to make a RC airplane (because nitro fuel is rare in our country, I chose diesel engine). The seller had said this engine for control line airplane not for RC airplane. What is the difference between control line airplane engine and RC airplane engine . Please any one can help?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2018, 11:50 AM
There's no throttle on CL engine - it either runs flat out or not at all. It is very difficult to get a diesel run reliably with a throttleable carb.

Edit: looks like I was mistaken, sorry about that. I've never seen throttle in a model diesel, but apparently they do exist.
Last edited by jkettu; Nov 07, 2018 at 08:33 PM.
Nov 07, 2018, 01:05 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkettu View Post
It is very difficult to get a diesel run reliably with a throttleable carb.
Really???
Nov 07, 2018, 01:12 PM
A man with a plan
If your engine has no throttle, you can still use it with an RC plane. It will go at full throttle until it runs out of fuel.

I don't have much diesel experience, but as far as I know the throttle on a diesel engine is quite easy to operate.
Nov 07, 2018, 01:14 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaahemantha View Post
I'm a newer for RC aircraft engines. I tried buy a diesel engine to make a RC airplane (because nitro fuel is rare in our country, I chose diesel engine). The seller had said this engine for control line airplane not for RC airplane. What is the difference between control line airplane engine and RC airplane engine . Please any one can help?
If glow fuel is difficult to get in your country, is model diesel fuel availlable? Because model diesel engines do NOT run on diesel fuel for trucks or cars, but special formulated stuff, containing Ether. In most countries, Ether is a controlled substance because it can be used for the production of drugs.

If you have technical skills, converting a glow engine to run on gasoline is not really difficult, and the fuel is availlable in basically any country on earth.

There is some extra cost involved, but the fuel is very cheap and very easy to get.
Nov 07, 2018, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkettu View Post
There's no throttle on CL engine - it either runs flat out or not at all. It is very difficult to get a diesel run reliably with a throttleable carb.
Throttle equipped Diesels are very easy to set up and use, I have lots of them. LA 65 turning a Bolly 13.5 x 8 at 9,300 rpm, Webra 50 turning Graupner 12 x 7 at 9,900.
Last edited by I TOBOR; Nov 07, 2018 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Add picture
Nov 07, 2018, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Would be helpful to know where exactly you are based, glow fuel is available almost everywhere while fuel for diesel engines is hard to get.
Nov 07, 2018, 10:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
If glow fuel is difficult to get in your country, is model diesel fuel availlable? Because model diesel engines do NOT run on diesel fuel for trucks or cars, but special formulated stuff, containing Ether. In most countries, Ether is a controlled substance because it can be used for the production of drugs.

If you have technical skills, converting a glow engine to run on gasoline is not really difficult, and the fuel is availlable in basically any country on earth.

There is some extra cost involved, but the fuel is very cheap and very easy to get.
Thanks. I didn't know that diesel engine needs ether and other oil with diesel. I thought it work only diesel. Gasoline(petrol) is available in our area. Now I think about glow fuel engine. Can you help me to convert nitro fuel engine to Gasoline?
Nov 07, 2018, 11:08 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Thanks. I didn't know that diesel engine needs ether and other oil with diesel. I thought it work only diesel. Gasoline(petrol) is available in our area. Now I think about glow fuel engine. Can you help me to convert nitro fuel engine to Gasoline?
Yes I can....

Do you have a Dremel, or Proxxon motor-tool? You need that....

But before we go any further: Which plane, which engine size, just tell me more, because not every engine can be converted. Most, but not all.
Last edited by Brutus1967; Nov 07, 2018 at 11:14 PM.
Nov 08, 2018, 08:55 AM
AMA 537620
If you are new to RC planes and have not flown, I would not use a control line engine... as mentioned it has to run full throttle, which means the plane will be operating at top speed.... and a lot less time to react.

It is pretty easy to make your own glow fuel if you have access to methanol and castor oil or at least synthetic 2 stroke oil. Premixed glow fuel often has nitromethane in it, but you do not need that for most glow engines to run.
Nov 08, 2018, 09:55 AM
most of the large U-Control engines I used as a teen had throttles and were R/C engines. we used a special bell crank and a handle that had a trigger in it with a third line to control the throttle, making powered landings possible. I can't remember any non, throttled U-C planes other than a few trainers that my club in the Milwaukee area had, that were simple stick fuselage and cardboard wings built to be learned on and crashed and my very first large U-C that was a Carl Goldberg "Buster" with a McCoy .29 that I learned on at 13 or 14 y.o. all of the older flyers in my club, had Noblers and other such stunt planes ( many of them, their own designs) that had a throttle and an R/C engine......this by the way, was 50 years ago !.....so throttled engines on a U/C plane is nothing new and thier throttled U/C engines are throttled R/C engines. just because an engine is used in an R/c plane, doesn't make it any different than an engine used in a U/C plane. both R/C and U/C can have engines that are throttled or not throttled. engines with a carburetor, are generically called "R/C engines" simply because they are seen on R/C planes more often and that people don't realize U/C planes also have throttled engines, but the large U/C stunt planes with a throttle, use exactly the same engines.
Nov 08, 2018, 10:55 AM
A man with a plan
When I was in Maine in 1993 I saw some guys flying a control line plane in the park with a 40 FP CL engine. I wondered at the time why they didn't use a throttle trigger. I've never flown control line, so I assumed they had their reasons.
Nov 08, 2018, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench View Post
When I was in Maine in 1993 I saw some guys flying a control line plane in the park with a 40 FP CL engine. I wondered at the time why they didn't use a throttle trigger. I've never flown control line, so I assumed they had their reasons.
The reason they didn't use a throttle is because it's completely unnecessary and just adds complications. The only time a throttle is used in CL is for carrier and scale and that's for competitions anyway. For any other types of CL models you definitely don't want a working throttle. I've been flying CL for 60 years and have never even seen a working throttle on any CL model. I say "working" because there's nothing wrong with using an RC engine with the barrel wired open.
Nov 09, 2018, 03:35 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
The reason they didn't use a throttle is because it's completely unnecessary and just adds complications. The only time a throttle is used in CL is for carrier and scale and that's for competitions anyway. For any other types of CL models you definitely don't want a working throttle. I've been flying CL for 60 years and have never even seen a working throttle on any CL model. I say "working" because there's nothing wrong with using an RC engine with the barrel wired open.
I agree.
Nov 09, 2018, 03:42 PM
Closed Account
I don't think any of this is of any help for OP, and I did not see him return yet...

Quick Reply