Nov 06, 2018, 11:28 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Discussion

Foam profile Hawk XAB-1 “Beta-1” Atomic Bomber fantasy plastic model.

One plastic model that I was always fascinated with when I was young was the Hawk XAB-1 Beta-1 Atomic Bomber. I built a couple of them. Always liked the canard configuration and the cool little parasite fighters that docked on the vertical tail.

A couple of years ago I decided to do one as a profile model in 6mm Depron that could fly both as an RC rocket glider using the Aerotech releasable E6 composite motor and as an electric pusher. This was done with an eye towards a full fuse model with an airfoiled wing and tail at some point.
Last edited by Thomas B; Nov 07, 2018 at 04:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2018, 11:34 PM
Electric Coolhunter
I developed some plans from pictures and a paper model that was available for download.

All of the airframe was done in 6mm Depron with a little 3mm used as a doubler here and there. 6mm x 1mm carbon spar in the wing. 1” Estes rocket tube in the rear as the motor mount for both the 24mm rocket motor and the electric motor. The electric motor is on a friction fit light ply motor mount that plugs in the tube.

The distinctive wingtip mounted atomic jet engines were done with Estes rocket tubing and some rolled paper cones for the intake and exhaust.

A couple of pics from the build:
Latest blog entry: Event planning for 2018
Nov 06, 2018, 11:40 PM
Electric Coolhunter
And here is the model ready to fly as an RC rocket glider, complete with one of the little parasite fighters.

Control is by a couple of 9 gram servos on the elevons and a 7 gram servo on the canard. The canard is programmed in the TX to serve as either a landing flap or as an elevator mixed to the elevons.
Nov 06, 2018, 11:49 PM
Electric Coolhunter
First flight attempt was a rocket flight with an Aerotech E6 motor at SMALL two years ago.

Looked great at first as the motor ignited and the model boosted straight and true, up to about 100 feet high. It then reached the Speed of Foam and fluttered in a way that broke the fuse in half ahead of the wing.

Look closely at the picture showing the model shredding and you can see the little parasite glider that has pulled free and is still going up!

The model was actually easy to put back together and repair. Added some 3mm Depron doublers in the weak area.
Nov 07, 2018, 12:00 AM
Electric Coolhunter
After repairing the model, it was put aside for a while and other projects went ahead of it.

A few weeks ago, I wanted something out of the ordinary to fly at Flite Fest Texas in early Nov. I rescued the XAB-1 from the garage, dusted it off and built up the ply motor mount that friction fits in the rocket motor mount. I dug around in the parts box and mounted a 1600kv Blue Wonder motor with a 7x5 APC prop, a 12amp ESC and an 800mah 2S lipo.

Did not remember the CG location, so I removed the motor and ESC and test glided it with a very small battery powering the radio. Was easy to get a good glide CG and I added the power system back to the model.

Finally got to try it as an electric pusher late Friday afternoon at Flite Test Texas when the winds became calm .

Flew very nicely after one more small CG adjustment.
Nov 07, 2018, 12:07 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Flight photos from Flite Fest. My stalwart flying buddy Richard Ng showed the model for the camera and launched it for me.

The excellent flight photos were done by Fitz Walker.

Fun to fly and an interesting shape in the air. I have not yet had a chance to restore the little parasite gliders to add to the vertical tail, but will do that soon.

Might have to do the full fuse version with a real wing and a nice power upgrade some time soon.
Last edited by Thomas B; Nov 07, 2018 at 12:24 PM.
Nov 07, 2018, 11:49 AM
Sokol
Congrats, Outstanding model !

will you please post plans ?
Nov 07, 2018, 12:20 PM
Electric Coolhunter
I have to confess that I did not do real plans, just construction sketches. Will see what can be done.
Nov 08, 2018, 07:10 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thanks TB !!! That’s COOL !!! Nice job !!! Love those profile planes, especially canards !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Nov 08, 2018, 07:19 AM
Beautiful plane!! And is not easy for a canard plane (lot of ugly plane except delta canard)
A bit sci fi and lot of 60’. Lateral view is really beautiful and sporty... up view remember a sidewinder with muscle wings...
A full fuselage will be a hit, lot of room for a good bomb bay, btw

Congrats
Nov 09, 2018, 11:45 PM
Sokol
found this drawing
Nov 10, 2018, 12:57 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by JureZ
found this drawing
That one is not bad for wings and tails and outboard pods, but the paper model designer did not model the forward fuse accurately, if you compare it to the plastic model.

This pic of the actual model parts shows the shape of the forward fuse and shows the “correct” shape of all the parts of the model. I mostly used this picture as a jumping off point for the model.

I did make my fuse a little taller and wider for structural reasons, and I increased the size of the vertical tail to help keep the pointy und forward at all times...
Last edited by Thomas B; Nov 10, 2018 at 01:07 PM.
Nov 10, 2018, 03:21 PM
Sokol
thanks for the picture ! and the inclusion of the ruler for scale reference.

now, the million dollar question,
your model , which scale does it have relative to the one in the picture with the ruler, that you used for reference ?

Quick Reply