Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

CrewZinn Flight Deck - RC Work and CG Stand Review

Do you love great looking and functional hobby accessories? I know I do and that's why I was excited to get offered to review the CrewZinn Flight Deck. Let's take a closer look at what it can do for you.

Splash

Introduction

Length: 21-3/4" (552mm)
Width: 6-1/2" (165mm)
Height: 8" (203mm)
Weight: 6.07oz (872g)
Materials: Maple, Alluminum
Available at: CrewZinn
Price: $85

Do you love great looking and functional hobby accessories? I know I do and that's why I was excited to get offered to review the CrewZinn Flight Deck. It's a stand for airplanes that doubles as a CG machine and it's more useful than I ever thought. This really is a simple idea, but it's well executed and highly functional. The fact that it's designed and built in the USA is icing on the cake. That said, let's take a closer look at this stand and what it can do for you.

Video

What's in the Box

When you open the box, the stand is fully assembled and well secured inside. There's a zip tie used to keep the stand from bouncing around so you'll need to cut that off and then you can pull the stand out. There's also an instruction manual along with a CrewZinn decal and 6 CG stickers.

Model Stand

The first thing you notice after pulling the stand out is how nice it looks. For something like this, function over form is usually preferred, but when you get both like this, it is really nice. The side pieces are made from beautiful laser cut brushed aluminum, the cross bars are solid maple wood and the hardware they used to put it together is all stainless steel.

For the cradle that holds your model while you work on it, there are two different profiles of rubber to suit your model. It is EPDM rubber which is soft and grippy and I find that it holds my planes extremely well in place, but is soft enough to not damage the foam.

There are also rubber feet on the bottom which keeps the whole stand planted and secure from sliding around.

CG Machine

The Flight Deck also serves as a CG machine. There are two thick walled carbon fiber tubes stowed on one of the maple cross bars. Pull them off and place them in the holes in the center cross bar to set it up for CG testing. There are 5 holes in the cross bar that allow you to space the tubes in various distances apart from as little as 3" on up to 16".

The carbon tubes have rubber ends caps on both ends and feature an EPDM rubber pad that is placed on one side of each tube. The rubber pad is useful for heavy models to spread the weight across a larger surface area to prevent damage to the wings. If you need a more precise measurement of the CG, you can simply slide the rubber pads off and use the rubber end cap of the carbon tube. The tubes are secure in the holes and I found I was able to easily check the CG of a various planes I had laying around. This will now be my go to item for checking CG on new planes.

When you are done checking the CG you can just slide the tubes right out of the center cross bar and stow them back away on their mounts. That way you won't lose them and they will always be ready for the next time you need to CG a plane.

Other Features

You might think there is nothing else to talk about with the Flight Deck, but wait there's more! One of the maple cross bars has a magnetic strip glued on that can hold loose airplane hardware for you, like screws, nuts, washers, etc. It's a neat idea that is sure to come in handy when assembling a model at the field.

Underneath the cradle on the aluminum sides are holes that you can attach a bungie cord or similar item to and secure your model on the stand. This is useful if it's windy and you want to make sure your model won't fly off the stand, or if you want to transport your model on the stand in your vehicle.

If you have a plane with an exceptionally tall fuselage so that it would hit the center cross bar when on the stand, you can actually move the cross bar down to a lower position. This still allows you to use the CG tubes, it just provides more space for bulky fuselages so that they can sit on the cradle properly.

Six CG stickers are provided in the kit. These are made of thick durable UV stable vinyl and they sort of look like details you'd see on a scale model. These are a better option than using a black sharpie marker to indicate the CG point on your wings.

Final Thoughts

So after spending some time with the CrewZinn Flight Deck I can say it gets my seal of approval. It's one of those accessories that you never knew you needed until you tried it. It's so useful that I'm not sure how I got along without it. No other product on the market can match the quality and functionality of this stand. The materials and construction is top notch, the stand works exceptionally well to hold your model in place and having a built-in CG machine as part of the stand is just brilliant. The price tag of $85 might seem a little high at first, but once you factor in all the things I mentioned above along with the fact that this is designed and manufactured in the USA, then I think it is well worth it.

Check out the CrewZinn Flight Deck webpage here

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Nov 09, 2018, 04:25 PM
Perpetual Noob
It's on my wish list!!!
Nov 09, 2018, 09:00 PM
Dayton,NV
Got my stand yesterday and while I thought 85 bucks was a little steep for what it was-now that I have it- it is everything Jason went over in his review.Like any quality tool you get what you paid for.This is a tool that will last a lifetime.Thanks Jason for letting us know about this.
Nov 10, 2018, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback Edgeman55. Manufacturing in the USA is very expensive, but it allows us to control the quality of the materials and construction so we feel it's worth it. Nevermind that there just aren't enough products made here anymore.

If you ever have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to reach out.

John
Nov 10, 2018, 06:49 PM
Added it to my Christmas list.
Nov 12, 2018, 10:16 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
These look awesome! The only thing I can think of is arms that can extend out and grip the fuselage sides like the hobbyking wooden version. Other than that, I love all the features built in!
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Nov 22, 2018, 03:51 PM
I review RC Products
This is my review for this product:

CrewZinn RC Plane Stand & CG Balancer Review (10 min 32 sec)
Last edited by GBLynden; Nov 23, 2018 at 02:25 AM.
Dec 06, 2018, 04:01 PM
JUNK RADIO
Hi,

is there a limit to the size of the plane?

Fred
Dec 06, 2018, 04:01 PM
JUNK RADIO
reserved
Dec 06, 2018, 09:04 PM
I review RC Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flazo
Hi,

is there a limit to the size of the plane?

Fred
Yes there is, but even that four foot long EDF jet I used in my review worked just fine. How large are you looking to go?
Dec 06, 2018, 11:01 PM
JUNK RADIO
I think is good for me
Thank you.
Last edited by Flazo; Dec 09, 2018 at 10:09 AM.
Dec 07, 2018, 08:12 PM
I review RC Products
You're welcome

Quick Reply