This thread is privately moderated by scousethief, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 06, 2018, 09:08 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Mini-Review

ZOHD Dart XL Extreme

https://www.banggood.com/ZOHD-Dart-XL-Extreme-FPV-Aircraft-RC-Airplane-PNP-p-1365551.html

Lets get on with it shall we

Zohd Dart Extreme quick put together (1 min 9 sec)

The Dart XL Extreme is the latest Flying wing from noted manufacturer Zohd/Sonicmodell. Following hot on the heels of the Extremely popular forward swept Dart Zohd have taken everything that they learned listening to the community and combined that with their own creative vision to create the Dart XL . Slightly bigger than its brother the Dart XL measures in at a tidy 1 metre and boasts some interesting features that on a "stock" model are very rarely seen.
The XL "out of the box" has some funky little Vortex Generators, on the XL these are little plastic inserts that you can glue into the leading edge of the wing and their use should aid slower flight and help prevent early tip-stalls a trait i am far too familiar with The winglet or tip on the XL also points down rather than the more typical "up" and there is a ton of information with regard to which is best that you can toddle off and blow your mind with but it is suffice to say that if nothing else it "looks bloody awesome".
The main body of the XL is HUGE i can nearly fit the fuselage from my Dart in there ! and as an experiment i was able to fit 18 x 18650 batteries in the front compartment alone (20+ without using a plastic spacer) what that means for us is that there is more than enough room to start shoveling batteries , a PDB, a flight controller, a GPS module , a Raspberry Pi, some WiFi modules , a couple of cameras, probably a gimbal, probably 2 of each tbh , shall i stop now ? im looking at the wifes dog....................... im pretty sure i could find a way to get it to sit still long enough for a quick trip

Brand Name: ZOHD
Item Name: ZOHD Dart XL “Extreme”
Material: Biodegradable BEPP
Wingspan: 1000mm (39.37”)
Length: 596mm (23.46”)
Flying speed: 25-100+km/h
Motor: 2216-1300KV
ESC: 30A w/5V 3A BEC
Servos: 9g Metal Gear Digital
Prop: 9X4.5
Recommended Battery: 4S 3300mAh
Wing area: 19.8dm²
Wing load: 60.6g/dm² (Max.)
Recommended Max. Flying weight: 1200g
Max. Flying time: 40 minutes (with recommended battery)

Features:
* Precision is the name of the game: Thanks to its revolutionary and careful design, the plane performs and looks like no other wing in the market.
* Small size airframe optimized for long range and portability… not to mention the COOL factor!
* Carefully chosen airfoil gives the aircraft an incredible lift power and excellent handling
* Detachable wing and vertical fins make it portable for an easy transport and deploy
* Keeping the tradition: Dart means swept-forward wing and swept-forward wing means stylish design and natural stability in turns and low speeds
* Fly Green: New ZOHD’s exclusive BEPP material isn’t only crash resistance, but even more important: 100% biodegradable. Future generations will thank you for that.
* Light-weight composite hard nose for better protection of your expensive camera gear
* Multi-camera nose: Compatible with 99% of the FPV and HD cameras in the market: Runcam HD, 2, 3S, Swift, Split, GoPro H4-5-6-7, Session and much more!
* Reversed wingtips, provide more lift force and ensure a super efficient wing surface
* Vortex generators for improving lift efficiency and gain higher control at low speeds. Use them straight and you will have even better Yaw stability!
* Load it as much you want with a huge equipment bay!
* Computer designed optimized air flow pod, that maximizes cooling, reducing the risk of crashes for overheated electronics
* Impact resistant protection cover for main wings leading edge and landing skids
* Built-in carbon fiber tube inside main wings for enhanced performance and rigidity
* Exclusive VTX / RX bays with excellent air flow and away from interferences
* Full spare parts supply, worry free fun. Fly it like you stole it!

On arrival the box was completely intact with zero damage and you can tell by just the quality of the protective box that Zohd mean business here. The whole aesthetic begins with the packaging and Zohd know that first impressions are extremely important so your first interaction with the product is the feel of the box (its why Apple take some much care on packaging choice ) . As hobbyists packaging is something that we are familiar with and in the back of our minds we start forming opinions from the box, we judge from the start that a flimsy cheap box denotes a cheap product, there can be no misconception here, the packaging is solid and of high quality .
The inner packing is of equal quality and helps protect the molded BEPP parts within. There are 3 inner boxes , the longer box contains the Dart XL main body and spar, the wider box contains the main wing panels and vertical stabilizers and the smaller box contains the accessories. The smaller of the boxes is a little "overkill" but i presume that there will be complete kits available at some point containing the other electrical accessories or a transmitter and so those extra components would take up the space of the smaller box.

All of the components are wrapped in bubble wrap for extra protection, all hard pieces like the spar or accessories are bagged to keep them together.

Main vertical stabilizer, there are some nice little detailed panels on the rudder and i think that if you were a little creative you could infact install some servos and make a functioning rudder.

Rudder locking clip , this is a simple twist action clip and it seats the vertical stabilizer nice and tight.

Main wing top panels

Main wing bottom showing servo placement , wire routing, landing skid, accessory connector, leading edge plastic guard and elevon with connectors.

Close up of the servo-elevon control method. The small divot it to allow a screwdriver to get to the servo arm.

Servo connector is buried into the wing panel, a second set of pins is available for extra accessories. The front "hole" is for the main spar and the rear is a threaded brass insert for the main wing bolt.

The rear of the wing as a plastic cover which siys in the wooden receptor at the rear of the fuse helping keep the wing solid and in place.

Each wing has a rear landing skid which will help keep the foam away from hard surfaces. The centre section hos a hle cut through and is were the rudder locking tabs fit through.

The main fuselage is hollow and has 2 removable canopies. The front canopy removes to gain access to the front storage area whilst the rear gives access to the esc and motor mount. All installed wiring is easily accessible and the extension wires for the servos and accessories can be easily routed creating a large inner cavity for air cooling.

Rear bay with esc and motor mounts. The foam in this area is quite dense and strong but the extra plywood supports just add to that strength creating a roomy but solid electronics bay.

The rear also holds the plywood outer for the plastic wing locator.

Front battery bay and camera mount. The available area for batteries here is ENORMOUS !! i can easily fit 18 x 18650 batts in there and there is still room for one or two more and that doesnt include any of the space behind the canopy.

Dart XL with 10x18650 batteries

Dart XL with 18 x 18650 batteries ( this picture is altered to show the extent of the battery bay)

Front FPV and action camera mounts

Fuselage bottom showing front skid

The inside of the rear upper canopy just to show that the rear is vented.

These are the retaining bolts for the wing connector.

Velcro take and flight controller mounts.
[img]https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/8/4/0/9/2/a11323301-197-DSCN9177.JPG/img]

Nice sticker and the plastic replacement parts for the camera holes in the nose.

A couple of the leading edge vortex generators

Blanks for the camera

More pictures of the wing connectors

[img]https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/8/4/0/9/2/a11325198-117-DSCN9246.JPG/img]
[img]https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/8/4/0/9/2/a11325194-10-DSCN9251.JPG/img]
[img]https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/8/4/0/9/2/a11325200-74-DSCN9244.JPG/img]
Last edited by scousethief; Nov 12, 2018 at 09:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2018, 01:37 PM
subed
Nov 06, 2018, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoeny
subed
Same
Nov 06, 2018, 03:24 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Wow thanks i will transfer everything over to the main Zohd thread , i normally just use my blog to work out the order and what i want to say
Nov 06, 2018, 04:11 PM
Lover of scale R/C
Gimme!
Nov 06, 2018, 05:02 PM
A lot of the details and photos! Great plane!
What Flight Controller are you going to use?
Nov 06, 2018, 05:50 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
It's looking like a Matek wing m8 now , i was going to use a pikoblx but the amount of room available is Insane so I'll use the Matek
Nov 06, 2018, 05:51 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton
Gimme!
Come an get it lol
Nov 12, 2018, 10:11 AM
It looks a little like a Drak, to me at least - but a refined one. I really like how the wings and servos are connected to the fuse.
Nov 12, 2018, 05:58 PM
Racer.Lt Owner
It's for sure has similarities with Drak, but still this is bigger brother of Dart, so more inspired by, but much more better made! And well thought about details.
Nov 12, 2018, 06:10 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
You'll like it I want to get mine set for some slow n low
Nov 13, 2018, 10:54 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Looks to be a well thought out design. Following with interest.

Couple of quick thoughts.
1. I'd of liked a more low profile aft deck hatch. Smooth airflow to the prop will result in a quieter plane. That tall hatch will likely cause a fair amount of turbulent air to the prop.
2. I'd prefer the pushrods to be on the top of the wing vs bottom. The bottom mounts are more prone to hitting things on landing and stripping servos.
3. I like the equipment bays at the ends of the wings. Great for VTx and Rx antenna separation.
4. I like the easy wing and vertical fin mounting/removal setup. Nicely done.
Last edited by Vantasstic; Nov 13, 2018 at 11:05 AM.
Nov 16, 2018, 02:53 AM
Nice

Quick Reply