Sep 17, 2019, 10:10 PM
Team Futaba / Team RMRC
If CG correctly you can about go to idle with this plane and hold full up elevator and she comes down like a harrier. If you want to turn give a little throttle and stay coordinated.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2019, 12:04 PM
Typically do you guys use your rudders when making turns? Crabbing when landing is really the holy time for jets. Unless it's a twin tail (B-24, A-10) I'll throw in opposite o rudder to keep the tail end of the plane up. Left alieron, right rudder.
Sep 18, 2019, 12:09 PM
Retired US Navy
Depends on the plane... For this I do but lightly.
Sep 18, 2019, 02:19 PM
I fly rudder quite often if cruising scale, usually with a little opposite aileron. The A10 80mm needs a lot of opposite aileron with rudde, not so much this one.
Sep 19, 2019, 04:56 AM

F22 steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonso
Well there are two camps with the blue box. Those with no issues and those that have had some problems and bypass it befoe maiden just to be sure. I'm firmly in the second group. It's still a good value gear and light sequencer, which is all mine is used for.

The steering is way too sensitive and any input above walking pace will cause the plane to tip over, on grass this causes the wing tip to dig in, rips the wing tip cover off, pops the nose off which you then run over and rip the nose doors off with.
Whilst we're on the nose, undo the grub screw that holds the nose fork onto the steel strut and refit with loctite. It will have none and it doesn't grip a flat so will fall off if slightly loose, a few vids earlier on of just that.
Oh and cutting 8mm or so off all 3 retract springs will allow the struts to compress, mine were as hard as concrete, no exageration, they could not be moved.
Thanks Alphonso all good tips! I will certainly do the loctite mod and inspect my struts for compression.
Sep 20, 2019, 01:04 PM
Here's a very impressive video I found on youtube recently showing F-22 ops. Old video but only found it today. Love watching the control surfaces in operation, especially during the landings.

F-22 Takeoff/Landing, Air Refueling, Weapon Bay Action (5 min 35 sec)
Sep 20, 2019, 01:17 PM
aka ShadowVFX
That was a really awesome video. Thanks for sharing.
Sep 20, 2019, 02:55 PM
It's all about scale models!
Quote:
If CG correctly you can about go to idle with this plane and hold full up elevator and she comes down like a harrier. If you want to turn give a little throttle and stay coordinated.
+1 on this!

After trying all kinds of settings with flaps and elevator, I was constantly touching down at the end of our runway and rolling quite a bit past. I finally got the nerve up to start working with high alpha landings, and as stated above, that's the only way to go. I don't use flaps at all. Once I'm line up with the runway, I go to idle (if not "off" temporarily) and start feeding in elevator, and giving it just enough throttle to even out the touchdown. It's amazing how much it will slow down. I was so afraid of stalling, I didn't try this for months. Now I can land in the first third of the runway and the rollout is very short.

It's been hard to learn that jets like the F-22 are not the same as a prop warbird. You'd never try to land the Corsair like this! It would stall immediately! But I'm getting there.

I still think this is one of the best designed foamie models yet manufactured.
Sep 20, 2019, 02:58 PM
aka ShadowVFX
I don't want to sound rude, but this F-22 doesn't HAVE to land high alpha all the time. My paved runway is only 300ft long (pretty dang short) and I land that all the time with plenty of room to spare. I don't think high alpha is as critical as the pilot knowing how slow the plane can actually get before stalling.

You're probably calling in a bit too hot or maybe you're trying to land from too high an altitude?

The one plane I have that NEEDS to be landed in high alpha is the Freewing F-16. That one ALWAYS needs to come in with the nose high, and even then, it still gets really close to the end of the runway.
Sep 22, 2019, 01:30 PM
Here are some pics before maidening my new F22, looked great in the low evening sun. The upper inlet edge is plastic lined now, nose glued on and Hitec D85MGs on ELE and AIL All 3 sand colours were rolled on and after masking with wet blotting paper, the 2 greens were airbrushed on. 2 decal sheets to get the extra white squares under the wings then Tamiya Clear Matt. A little artistic license taken with stab decals (mistakes )
All injection nubs removed and sanded between coats, end result is very smooth.
Last edited by Alphonso; Sep 22, 2019 at 02:07 PM.
Sep 22, 2019, 01:44 PM
Very nice! Did you lined the plastic at the topi let it is that new?
Sep 22, 2019, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguy65
Very nice! Did you lined the plastic at the topi let it is that new?
I can tell you exactly what I used , it is a piece of plastic packing from an AR8010 RX . Cut a strip from the edge where it wraps round the RX manual, cut it at 45% and it simply slides over the inlet after making a scalpel slice in the foam near the fuse seam under the inlet. Make it the same width as the light coloured inlet paint and it simply looks like a panel line. Took 5 mins, would have taken hours if I'd made it in balsa and glassed it, which was plan A, ha ha.
Sep 22, 2019, 06:36 PM
aka ShadowVFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonso
Here are some pics before maidening my new F22, looked great in the low evening sun. The upper inlet edge is plastic lined now, nose glued on and Hitec D85MGs on ELE and AIL All 3 sand colours were rolled on and after masking with wet blotting paper, the 2 greens were airbrushed on. 2 decal sheets to get the extra white squares under the wings then Tamiya Clear Matt. A little artistic license taken with stab decals (mistakes )
All injection nubs removed and sanded between coats, end result is very smooth.
Very nice paint scheme. I love it.
Sep 23, 2019, 01:37 PM
Thanks Suko, much appreciared. My last desert scheme edf was nearly 20 years ago and I'd forgotten how good it looks with the sun low in the sky. I'm looking at my A10 and thinking "peanut" now

Allan
Sep 23, 2019, 02:28 PM
I had my CG at 155mm for the maiden of this one as opposed to my usual 150mm. The heavier servos and paint the likely cause. After trimming the stabs are at the often discussed 5.5mm, whereas my neutral point is normally 2 or 3 mm lower at 150mm and looks better as it lines up with the rear fuse better.
I noticed no difference in flight, perhaps a little less aileron correction when using rudder. Although the higher resolution of the hitec servos allowed me to increase the gyro gain and this maybe corrected any coupling somewhat.
However when I came to land I couldn't get it down for 4 go arounds , It just would not sink, the crosswind kept on getting under it as I lowerd power and lifted the nose, had to punch out 3 times ad greased it in instead. Later the wind dropped and It was simple to alpha in.
I prefer 150mm , it allows more use of elevator and I find the transition between normal and high alpha more controllable.
The Hitec D85s are are nice upgrade in precision and strength fo the 12S WOT passes, I felt more confident, maybe all in the mind but whatever works I guess

Quick Reply