Jun 24, 2019, 12:21 PM
Retired US Navy
When I first flew mine I had a tough time with the nose coming off doing carrier landings. I added a couple magnets and it worked so I bough a new nose and did the extra magnets to it. This weekend I had it come off and marred up my newish nose... I bought some matched paint and glued it on. Spackled the seam and painted. Solved.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2019, 12:57 PM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobaroo
$600 'HeavyJet' flying around with $10 Servos on the Stabs. New FW F/A-18C is running the same ones. Apparently a lotta Guyz are comfortable with this arrangement. GL ... Plug N Pray
There is no magic is servo technology IMO. These servos provided by FW are as good as any you can buy. I have only had one flap servo issue since buying my Freewing PNP and ARF Plus EDFs and this is hundreds of flights thereafter - so I feel comfortable leaving the Freewing servos in place.
Latest blog entry: ESC and BEC Steup
Jun 24, 2019, 01:01 PM
Innocent Bystander
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo
There is no magic is servo technology IMO. These servos provided by FW are as good as any you can buy. I have only had one flap servo issue since buying my Freewing PNP and ARF Plus EDFs and this is hundreds of flights thereafter - so I feel comfortable leaving the Freewing servos in place.
Very Good. I however find them Imprecise, Noisy, Ratchety/Stepping instead of Smoothly moving through their travel range and Unable to hold their Trim.
Jun 24, 2019, 01:17 PM
Landing is not optional
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
When I first flew mine I had a tough time with the nose coming off doing carrier landings. I added a couple magnets and it worked so I bough a new nose and did the extra magnets to it. This weekend I had it come off and marred up my newish nose... I bought some matched paint and glued it on. Spackled the seam and painted. Solved.
Mine has been coming off as well. I think I am gonna add some dowels to mine and a couple more magnets. Mine needs to come off to store it or I would go that route too. I think the "tongue" on this one just isn't long enough.
Jun 24, 2019, 01:46 PM
Innocent Bystander
JC,... You might consider a Spring/Cable Attachment for your NoseCone. Anchor it into the NoseCone and have a Good Spring Retainer on the cable end with a Hook. Clip this retaining Cable somewhere inside the Battery Compartment.

These SpringCable Retainers work great to hold a NoseCone on and still allow it to Flex or Pivot about the Magnets if Needed without A Tongue or Rods Tearing out your front end if you ever get 'In The Rough' with your Jet !! GL Cheers !!
Jun 24, 2019, 02:32 PM
Landing is not optional
Quote:
JC,... You might consider a Spring/Cable Attachment for your NoseCone. Anchor it into the NoseCone and have a Good Spring Retainer on the cable end with a Hook. Clip this retaining Cable somewhere inside the Battery Compartment.

These SpringCable Retainers work great to hold a NoseCone on and still allow it to Flex or Pivot about the Magnets if Needed without A Tongue or Rods Tearing out your front end if you ever get 'In The Rough' with your Jet !! GL Cheers !!
I like the idea. Ever done it on any of yours? Have a picture of how you rigged it up?
Jun 24, 2019, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo
Same. After owning 80+ planes, I think I've seen TWO servo burnouts and one was my own fault when a flap servo was pushing against a "stuck" flap, so it burned out the poor little guy.

If someone wants to spend $20 on a servo to make themselves feel better, more power to them. This hobby is just like any other. Some people will be perfectly happy with the standard equipment, while others will swear that they need top of the line, high end components. I remember when my friends and I would play Counter Strike back in the late 90's. We had this one friend who kept buying better components for his PC, a gaming mouse, and other things to improve his game. But in the end, he still couldn't compete with some of us using our crappy Dell keyboards and mice.
Jun 24, 2019, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Very Good. I however find them Imprecise, Noisy, Ratchety/Stepping instead of Smoothly moving through their travel range and Unable to hold their Trim.
Same here. You get what you pay for is my thoughts on it. There were lots of people quite happy with driving the Kia Rio while others want something a bit more....quality & dependability, safety orientated.
Last edited by Kougar Mark II; Jun 24, 2019 at 04:48 PM.
Jun 24, 2019, 08:56 PM
Team Futaba / Team RMRC
I will say the servos in these planes have seem to be reliable, but probably not the smoothest out there... when you get use to flying higher end digital servos, you can tell what is a cheap servo and what is not a cheap servo... With that being said... with it being a foam plane and trim seems to change all the time with these type of models depending how the foam settles the servos I feel do a good enough job lol.... wouldn't mind upgrading servos just to see the difference.
Jun 25, 2019, 04:57 AM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar Mark II
Same here. You get what you pay for is my thoughts on it. There were lots of people quite happy with driving the Kia Rio while others want something a bit more....quality & dependability, safety orientated.
These servos are priced and fit for the purpose. I never said these servos are the BEST servos out there. They are reliable and do the job. If you want to replace them all be my guest - itís your money and your model.
Latest blog entry: ESC and BEC Steup
Jun 25, 2019, 09:38 PM
Hey Guys,

An experienced pilot, new to EDF..Nearly finishing up my F22.. A few questions..

1) Is the manual wanting neutral stick to be 5.5 degrees of down elevator?

2) Are the published control throws what you've found for a smooth, scale like control feel? The last thing I want is a disconnected feel with either too much throw and/or with too much expo.

3) Should I use a high rate for landing and a normal rate for flight?

4) Should I use the suggested 150mm CofG for maiden?

Thanks,
Raz

P.S. As a precision flyer, I worry these servos aren't going to perform? Has anyone found a high quality servo replacement that will fit in the mounts?
Jun 25, 2019, 09:49 PM
IHW Heli Division
So, I flew my F-22 down at a electric/ EDF event in Deland. It's probably the first time someone with a good camera recorded me flying it. He was pretty on point with his camera. I don't think he had a chest brace or anything like that. He had a decent sized lens on there to. So it probably wasn't easy following my fast passes. But he got some nice shots of the high alpha and knife edge passes. It was light cross winds, so I could only go so high in those high AOA passes. I was having trouble slowing down in time. But I thought it looked pretty great anyway.

Seriously though, this guy got some great footage at the event. My F-22 flight starts at about 8:26 or so. But I recommend watching the whole video. At the very least you'll want to see the giant C-130 crash in the flight right before mine, starting at about 6:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpnlN5I3MPY
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jun 25, 2019 at 09:54 PM.
Jun 25, 2019, 10:04 PM
Great video, great flying, and very impressive camera work! He didn’t lose you once!
Jun 26, 2019, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmo
Hey Guys,

An experienced pilot, new to EDF..Nearly finishing up my F22.. A few questions..

1) Is the manual wanting neutral stick to be 5.5 degrees of down elevator?

2) Are the published control throws what you've found for a smooth, scale like control feel? The last thing I want is a disconnected feel with either too much throw and/or with too much expo.

3) Should I use a high rate for landing and a normal rate for flight?

4) Should I use the suggested 150mm CofG for maiden?

Thanks,
Raz

P.S. As a precision flyer, I worry these servos aren't going to perform? Has anyone found a high quality servo replacement that will fit in the mounts?

Hi there,
1) it's a perfect place to start. The stabs will likely line up with the glue on tail pieces. But the tail pieces may not be totally perfect. As long as the stabs line up and you're lined up with the rear fuselage, you'll be one or two clicks away if the 150mm CG is followed.
2) low rates for aileron, high rates are crazy. I think somewhere between high and low are good for elevator in all aspects of flight. Using a gyro like the A3L hobbyeagle really dumbs down the controls and I find higher rates needed using it, a lot higher. If you like to knife edge then rudder needs a lot of throw, even at high speed.
3) She's responsive at slow speed and I don't use different rates.
4) 150mm is accepted on here as generally good to go. Other guys have experimented either way and commented that the plane is very forgiving.
Jun 26, 2019, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk
So, I flew my F-22 down at a electric/ EDF event in Deland. It's probably the first time someone with a good camera recorded me flying it. He was pretty on point with his camera. I don't think he had a chest brace or anything like that. He had a decent sized lens on there to. So it probably wasn't easy following my fast passes. But he got some nice shots of the high alpha and knife edge passes. It was light cross winds, so I could only go so high in those high AOA passes. I was having trouble slowing down in time. But I thought it looked pretty great anyway.

Seriously though, this guy got some great footage at the event. My F-22 flight starts at about 8:26 or so. But I recommend watching the whole video. At the very least you'll want to see the giant C-130 crash in the flight right before mine, starting at about 6:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpnlN5I3MPY
Great flying, great camera- loved it!
Tom

Quick Reply