Nov 08, 2019, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snake
It's the stock 8s power system, some times you get lucky that you don't need to static balance them. this one didn't need it. but yeah i like the jetfan setups better.

The flap setting helped it get up sooner, but at that flight was still to floaty for my taste, the 3rd flights setting was set better for landing but it will effect your take off rotation.
Stock 8s. Hmmm, I'm surprised it sounds that good. Balancing is key though. So if you have a precisely balanced EDF, it will sound very nice. These stock EDF's have a good amount of blades and stators which also effects the sound. The more blades and stators, the better the sound produced. Add in precision balance and you got yourself a great sounding EDF. And it's for that reason that I always balance the stock EDFs, even when the manufacturer states that they have been balanced. I always find that they can be even finer tuned (balanced). But usually (and in most cases) they are pretty close right out of the box, I admit.

My F-22 has a 90mm Stumax. I ran her up and it's velvet smooth! In the past Stumax EDFs are so quite at lower rpm it's almost hard to tell if they are still running. This sometimes scares me during landing because I don't like the EDF not rotating during landing. Sometimes if I'm in doubt, I have to bring the throttle stick all the way down and then back up a few clicks just to be sure, even though I don't hear a thing from the EDF.
Last edited by Kougar Mark II; Nov 08, 2019 at 11:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2019, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockrat
What fan and batteries are you using for 12s?

I've flown this for a season stock on a 6Ah lipo which weights 1100g and landings are notably trickier than with a 850g lipo.
Now thinking about installing RCLander 12s fan running on two 4Ah. That would be about 1kg heavier than stock and not sure it's worth the weight increase.
Hi there , Im running Jetfan V2 with HET 700 68 1200 and use my 12S and 10S packs with it. They are Revo GO blend 435 charged to 4.35V 4500mah. If charged to 4.2V they are 4000mah. 12S is 1250g.
Funny you say heavier is harder to land. I would just say it's different. Heavier for me is easier as it will descend easier with throttle applied. Also on 12S the plane transitions into high alpha naturally if you slow up and hold level flight. On 10S it feels as if I have to almost stop before pulling back as any airspeed will make it climb. 10S is 74A and 4kg thrust, 12S is 94A and 5.1kg .
I've just recieved a Schubeler DS51 with 700 68 1200 for 10 and 12S and that'll be going in the F22 to compare against the Jetfan. The schubie's intended jet is still being built . I've no idea what the thrust on 12S is with the 1200KV but the 1125KV is 5.5kg. I'm guessing nearer 6kg with HV lipos. I need to bench it this weekend. A few less amps than the JF for similar thrust so may try a 12S 3300mah setup for blistering performance.

BTW i had some dodgy Revos when the GO packs first came out, even got warm on a charge. The last 8 packs I got have held up but if used at 4.35 you must use them within a few hours and store at 50% or lower. Any deviation from that will see the IR creep up within a few cycles. I use em as duration is great due to HV and the dimension work for my setups. All other HV lipos are expensive and / or heavy.
Last edited by Alphonso; Nov 08, 2019 at 03:21 PM.
Nov 08, 2019, 03:23 PM
Registered RC NUT!
Definitely high voltage batteries will wake up any already high powered EDF...
Nov 08, 2019, 03:31 PM
Retired US Navy
I flew the same JF/ HET combo in mine too also on 10 and 12S. 12S was two HobbyStar 3500 60C that weighed under 900g. 10S was two 3700 Zippy Compacts that weighed about the same. Both were the same weight as the stock 6s set up with a 5500-5800 or high C 5000. These high power set ups don't have to be heavy.
Nov 08, 2019, 03:43 PM
I agree Evan, I just have lots of 4000 and 4500s. Great size for HV 100ish amp setups.
Nov 08, 2019, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonso
Funny you say heavier is harder to land. I would just say it's different. Heavier for me is easier as it will descend easier with throttle applied.
For me the difficulty is plane starts waving wings at certain speed during landing when heavy. The same effect is more pronounced on it's bigger sister I fly which is only 50cm longer but weights 14kg (only fuel weights like the whole FW plane).
Skymaster F22 (3 min 31 sec)

Does yours have a tendency to drop a wing before touchdown?
Nov 08, 2019, 04:01 PM
No it doesn't have that tendency. A crosswind can get under it if too slow. But that shows as a pitch correction rather than a roll or dropped wing.
Nov 08, 2019, 04:10 PM
Quote:
For me the difficulty is plane starts waving wings at certain speed during landing when heavy. The same effect is more pronounced on it's bigger sister I fly which is only 50cm longer but weights 14kg (only fuel weights like the whole FW plane).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owsPyjj_vsI

You can see the weight in that Skymaster. It dropped like a stone as it turned final . Yeh my 12S is nothing like that ha ha. Was that too slow and commited for a go around, Iassume it didn't end well as it was cut short.
Nov 08, 2019, 04:14 PM
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owsPyjj_vsI

Only time I experience a wing dropping before touchdown is when the aircraft is at about it's stall speed. In a lot of situations, the heavier the EDF aircraft is, the higher the stall speed is. Between 6s and 8s I would think the difference in stall speed between the two is very minimal. But between 6s and 12s I'd say it could be a significant amount. I actually had two occasions where I stalled my F-4 at very low altitude (only a few feet off the ground), but by the skin of my "lucky charm" I recovered and the a/c lives on for more flying excitement. That's a feeling you don't forget and I'll do my best not to ever get my F-22 in the same/similar situation.
Last edited by Kougar Mark II; Nov 08, 2019 at 04:20 PM.
Nov 11, 2019, 11:42 AM
After a midair this weekend my Raptor is toast.
I'm keeping the fan and going to get a new one.
Does anyone need servos or retracts from this jet?
All of the servos were ok except for the elevator ones.
The retracts are also in great shape.
It was only flown for a couple months.
I'll be posting on the classifieds soon.
Nov 11, 2019, 05:07 PM
I am always amazed when people are surprised when airplanes fly like ....... well.... airplanes. Yes they get mushy and stall if you get too slow
Nov 11, 2019, 07:10 PM
Team Futaba / Team RMRC
Personally if you want the plane to fly great throughout all phases of flight I think sticking to 6s is the best setup. You might get more speed and a little more vertical, but I still think 6s setup is the perfect setup for this plane. It keeps the weight down so you don't have issues with slow flight. You can pretty much hold full up elevator at 1/4 throttle and the plane harriers in almost. I have notice when I put bigger 6s packs in the plane it does not do this as well.
This is mine on 6s
Dusk Freewing F-22 90mm (3 min 31 sec)
Nov 12, 2019, 01:06 AM
Registered RC NUT!
I like your low rolls on the deck, I am enjoying the slow flight more and more but it was crazy windy this weekend. Made it hard to do some of the things I wanted to do. But easy to hover low. Sadly the Crosswinds are back where I fly, it hit the parking block after a great landing it just veered off and broke my flap horn, unfortunately I did not have a replacement horn with me. So I only got one flight for this jet.

Freewing F 22 Raptor only flight (5 min 19 sec)

Freewing F 22 raptor on board flight (5 min 33 sec)
Nov 12, 2019, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickstop
I am always amazed when people are surprised when airplanes fly like ....... well.... airplanes. Yes they get mushy and stall if you get too slow
Problem is when "too slow" is around 100km/h.
I have 50+ planes and F22 airframe lands like nothing else. When landing overloaded (and at 1300m altitude) , like on that turbine, it starts waving wings with increasing amplitude. Then - sliding sideways like SU-57. After stall it falls down a little bit, then nose dives.
Nov 12, 2019, 02:11 PM
We were very lucky and didn't have any wind this weekend. However, we were very unlucky that we had thick blankets of fog for most of the morning every day this past three day weekend. By the time the fog burned off, the sun was right in our faces. So I didn't get the F-22 out for the maiden. Just didn't want to take a chance with it being grey in the fog and then have the sun in my eyes later in the morning. I didn't even fly the F-4 all that much because of this fog and mid day sun. Hopefully this upcoming weekend will be ideal. Wind is another issue, I won't fly these larger EDF's in wind. I'm past the point of turning a blind eye and taking the jet up, only to suffer hard landings that require repairs and/or new/replacement parts. Not worth it to me anymore. Now if it's above 8 mph with/without gusts, I wait.

I have a new saying at the field. I rather not fly and bring the bird home undamaged, then to get in some flights but bring home a damaged aircraft.
Last edited by Kougar Mark II; Nov 12, 2019 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply