Dec 14, 2018, 12:50 PM
I heart EDFs!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207
It's a Spektrum thing. The only leads that will plug into the RX's w/o trimming are found on Spektrum servos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobaroo
A couple of Passes on the Top Corners on the Receiver Leads with a Flat File and they work on Spectrum receivers just fine. Been this way for years.
I have had others that were a little tight because of it but the AR8010 is different than any other spektrum rx I have seen with that much corner angle for the servo plug. But, just one more reason for me to keep buying the Admiral branded lemons instead.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2018, 01:24 PM
Retired US Navy
Stock 6S- 110.4A and 2447W... With a brand new battery so it may get better.
Dec 14, 2018, 02:25 PM
Lithium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasaro
For those of you who already have the plane, how heavy is the battery you are using and where are you placing it? I ask because I would like to use Admiral 6s 4000s 60c and need to know if they would cg with the battery all the way forward or if weights would be needed. Weight difference between the 4000 and the recommended 5000 is 90 grams. thanks in advance for the input
There is a ton of space in this one, I would not be too concerned

I have my receiver, blue box (which incidentally works quite well on mine) and HE A3S II gyro all the way forward, so I have quite a bit of space to move my 8S battery combinations back.

You can see more pictures of that cavernous battery bay here :

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...reewing&pp=100

Last edited by Herb; Dec 14, 2018 at 02:49 PM.
Dec 14, 2018, 02:49 PM
IHW Heli Division
I installed all my stuff up front also. I like your idea of moving the MCB-E and putting the gyro there instead. That makes more sense than being on a slant. They will work just fine mounted like mine is. But I may change it. My way just gave me a place to build a rats nest on top of the MCB-E.

With my RT 6250s all the way back it's pretty much right on 150mm CG. Might be a tiny bit nose heavy. I might move stuff or just add a couple grams in the rear. Just so I can shift the CG a bit to see where I like it. I might have been a bit nose heavy in my maiden the way it reacted on landing. Not sure yet though, conditions weren't great to make any definitive conclusions.
Dec 14, 2018, 03:22 PM
Registered RC NUT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesonC
So glad I am not the only one who thought that! I pulled my 8010 out to put in there and quickly put it back away and grabbed an AR610 to throw in there to get it setup. I have had other rx's where they were a bit tight but never completely beveled like the 8010. That is just ridiculous. I have some new AR620s on the way and I really hope they aren't like that. I primarily run Admiral rxs anyway but got the 8010 with my new DX8 and thought the new "no antenna" AR620 was pretty cool so I bought a couple to try out.
I got the lemon 10x in my f4.

Got the AR620 in the rest, great rx!

The first 8010 is a pain but wanted to try it. My son has had no issues with it.
Dec 14, 2018, 04:50 PM
Retired US Navy
The only thing I have in my BB is the retract, retract door and landing light and have it and the 12ch receiver all the way aft behind the battery. I pulled out all the wiring and replaced it with a simple shorter extension to have each servo on its own channel. I have one satellite under the starboard vertical stab and one in the nose wheel area. Working on TVs now.
Dec 14, 2018, 05:17 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
How many axis TV will that be Evan?
Dec 14, 2018, 05:40 PM
Retired US Navy
As the real one, pitch and roll. I don’t think it’ll be as efficient as the F-18, Euro or Sukoi...
Dec 14, 2018, 05:56 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
I just ordered one a couple days ago... a 6 cell. Was not going to purchase until late summer... Was going to buy the FMS Fox 3M Glider, but it seems heavy; plus, now, I like the FL Corsair too.
Dec 14, 2018, 08:36 PM
Lithium Member
Maiden today late in the afternoon

JetFan 90mm & HET 700-68 1680 inrunner on 8S RT 5000's ... ~3200W hot off the charger.

Ailerons +- 20mm, Elevators +-20mm at TE, full Flaps 30mm down, Rudder +-20mm, 2mm elevator UP (not down as in manual ) mix with full flaps, manual CG at 150mm.

* First Flight, dialed in a couple of clicks of up ... Gyro gain turned all the way to zero ... takes off by itself in ~ 200 ft ... a few clicks of left aileron and a couple clicks of up ... straight and level hands off ... fly around and then put flaps down , no trim change, gear down no trim change either ... greased landing nice & slow with nose up. She's a floater

* Second Flight, reduce aileron rate a few percentages, rotates effortlessly ... pull elevator and go straight up turn around and slowly increase gyro gain on right knob ... no surprises, nice and stable ... loops and rolls, CG feels pretty good ... floats in again like a glider, very stable nose up with a bit of power

* Third Flight, enjoy the good looks of it.

So, FF elevator trim is spot on, throws are good, I have a ton of elevator to get off the ground quickly (mains scale location), flap to elevator mix is barely needed, right now I have ~2mm UP elevator with full flaps.

More flights tomorrow with some 4K video if the weather permits.

Last edited by Herb; Dec 15, 2018 at 12:13 PM.
Dec 14, 2018, 10:11 PM
IHW Heli Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
As the real one, pitch and roll. I don’t think it’ll be as efficient as the F-18, Euro or Sukoi...
That's looking pretty interesting. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I'm really hoping someone designs some 3D printed hinges and vanes. That would be really nice. Cut out the foam and glue in your servos and 3d printed vanes. The plastic might be heavier. But it will probably look really nice once painted and might be more effective since they would be more rigid, maybe.
Dec 14, 2018, 10:29 PM
Registered RC NUT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb

JetFan 90mm & HET 700-68 1680 inrunner on 8S RT 5000's ... ~3200W hot off the charger.

Ailerons +- 20mm, Elevators +-20mm at TE, full Flaps 30mm down, Rudder +-20mm, 2mm elevator UP (not down as in manual ) mix with full flaps, manual CG at 150mm.

* First Flight, dialed in a couple of clicks of up ... Gyro gain turned all the way to zero ... takes off by itself in ~ 200 ft ... a few clicks of left aileron and a couple clicks of up ... straight and level hands off ... fly around and then put flaps down , no trim change, gear down no trim change either ... greased landing nice & slow with nose up. She's a floater

* Second Flight, reduce aileron rate a few percentages, rotates effortlessly ... pull elevator and go straight up turn around and slowly increase gyro gain on right knob ... no surprises, nice and stable ... loops and rolls, CG feels pretty good ... floats in again like a glider, very stable nose up with a bit of power

So, FF elevator trim is spot on, throws are good, I have a ton of elevator to get off the ground quickly (mains scale location), flap to elevator mix is barely needed, right now I have ~2mm UP elevator with full flaps.

Congratulations on your maiden, nicely detailed flight report. It was a bit of a gray day here in California, how did you like that with a gray plane?
Dec 14, 2018, 10:45 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb

Yeah Herb!diggin your flight report, Such a fun plane
Dec 14, 2018, 11:07 PM
Mine is finished except for my two strobe lights and a few more mixes. I removed the ribbon cables and replaced with direct wires to the flaps and ailerons directly to the receiver. Running a 14ch receiver.
Dec 15, 2018, 07:08 AM
IHW Heli Division
Went over my TX setup and now I know what went wrong with my maiden flight. When I copied model data over from another plane. That other plane used full throws and like 75% expo. But with the F-22 I limited the throws per the manual. So I basically had limited throws AND 75% expo on aileron and elevator. Typically I'm used to having really hot sticks. I usually end up with the recommended high rates as my low rates, then they never get used because I just use whatever I set for high rates. So when I took off the plane immediately felt like a turd compared to how it should.

If the wind and rain ever let up. I'll give this another shot. Should go a lot better next time.

Quick Reply