Nov 08, 2018, 11:44 PM
Jim
Derailing this topic a bit..the OP won't mind lol...I'm in search of a different method for gluing CF to foam. I've always used foam safe CA and it gets expensive! Anyone that has a different/better way please weigh in!

As always, pics/video's are welcome!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2018, 12:48 AM
My favorite glue for cf to foam is white Gorilla glue. Thin thin thin! layer on the foam then a mist of water on the cf, assemble and secure with yellow 3M painters refinishing tape to keep the expanding foam in place. Tenacious bond.

For a source of water mist I use a discarded nasal spray bottle filled with water.
Nov 09, 2018, 01:18 AM
flyin' fool
I've tried many different glues and have settled for either Foam-Tac or hot glue, all depending on the CF application.

GG doen't stick to some foams as I've found out the hard way. Although, for EPP it's perfect when laminating sheets for a KF airfoil.
Nov 09, 2018, 03:29 AM
Once again derailing (sorry OP), never dared to ask this as the 'what is the best glue/ paint for foam' is THE one that makes people cringe however this thread isn't that so I dare to ask.....

'Standard run of the mill foam to foam construction or repair joints'.
I currently use ShoeGoo for EPP and find it excellent but have to pay around 13 USD for 1 oz but sometimes I get lucky and someone has the large 2 oz tube for the same price (I think that they get mixed up). To compensate I use HK Foam Cure @ 2.74 USD for 1 oz which is pretty cheap.

I could get Beacon Foam Tac from the UK @ around 10.37 USD for 1 oz.

Is Foam Tac that much better than Foam Cure, as in 3 times the price and would it replace the ShoeGoo for EPP????

Paul

Nov 09, 2018, 10:33 AM
flyin' fool
I tried HK's FC. It looks like it's made by Bob Smith ……………. http://bsi-inc.com/hobby/foam_cure.html or maybe just a copy from China.

But, at 3X the price...…………… that's a tough call. It's like comparing an Axi to a KEDA motor.

My LHS carries both FC and FT, but I prefer the Foam-Tac.
Nov 09, 2018, 12:21 PM
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
I've tried many different glues and have settled for either Foam-Tac or hot glue, all depending on the CF application.

GG doen't stick to some foams as I've found out the hard way. Although, for EPP it's perfect when laminating sheets for a KF airfoil.
Here's an application for which I would normally use FS-CA. I can't wrap my head around what this would look like after using GG or FT? I'm picturing a ugly mess. I need some guidance on how to avoid the mess please! (and yes I know it is already an ugly mess with all the ink lines but they wouldn't normally be there!)
Nov 09, 2018, 12:45 PM
Jim, we use different forms of cf. I quit using the cf tubes in favor of the flat stock. To install I temporarily tape the flat cf on the foam with one edge in the place it will be slotted in. I then use a sharp knife to cut a slit in the foam usng the cf as my straight edge (or curved if you prefer). I then remove the cf and using one end I force it into the slit and drag it from one end to the other widening the slit to that of the cf. (making a slot) Then apply gorilla glue to the slot continuously but sparingly from one end of the slot to the other. Lightly mist the cf and shove it into the slot. I use a straight bladed screwdriver to get the final position, sometimes below the surface of the foam. Immediately cover the slot with masking tape and a full length piece of wood with weights to insure the foam is staying flat. About 20 minutes later the tape can come off.
I'll try to get some images later today if that would help. This method yields a stronger yet lighter piece of foam than using cf tubing. I find it's also much quicker to install and the tape insures a nice flat finish as the Gorilla glue will expand right up to the tape surface.

I found out the hard way that you don't want to mist the foam...the tape won't stick and the glue oozes out making the mess you referred to!
Nov 09, 2018, 12:48 PM
If you use your method of installing cf tube Gorilla glue still makes a good choice since it will expand. Simply tape ofer the foam/cf joint and let the expansion give you a nice flat surface that also surrounds the cf tube. The trick is getting the right amount of glue and water.
Nov 09, 2018, 01:39 PM
low tech high tech
PaulB if you're in Germany, you can get UHU Por. We can't here in the U.S. -- or not easily. I use a variety of glues for different purposes, but I personally prefer UHU Por over Beacon stuff for most general purpose styro bonding -- I know there are plenty who disagree. Anyway, it's locally available to you, rather than importing U.S. and U.K. stuff.
Nov 09, 2018, 03:17 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention, I use POR quite a bit to but that is also 'relatively' expensive and I find that it really only works properly as a contact adhesive and don't find it so good for general construction as the alternatives.

Cheers,

Paul
Nov 10, 2018, 08:10 AM
Foam-Tac is great at for making glue hinges (as in RA Cores' EPP Yaks). My question is " How well does the fabric glue do at making glue hinges?".

I've tried the Bob Smith stuff, but whilst it is as good as Foam-Tac for some things (at less than half the price), the Bob Smith glue (Foam Cure?) fails at making glue hinges.

CD
Nov 10, 2018, 08:21 AM
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
Foam-Tac is great at for making glue hinges (as in RA Cores' EPP Yaks). My question is " How well does the fabric glue do at making glue hinges?".

I've tried the Bob Smith stuff, but whilst it is as good as Foam-Tac for some things (at less than half the price), the Bob Smith glue (Foam Cure?) fails at making glue hinges.

CD
I haven't had the pleasure of working with EPP in several years so I haven't tried the Fabri-Tac on it. Last time I worked with EPP, most people were using "Welders Glue" for hinging. Maybe someone else will weigh in on your question.
Nov 10, 2018, 08:40 AM
Old RC Guy Having Fun!
What is the difference between Beacon Fabritac and Beacon 3 in 1 ? Does 3 in 1 not attack foam? Thanks, Aero
Nov 10, 2018, 08:49 AM
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronut41
What is the difference between Beacon Fabritac and Beacon 3 in 1 ? Does 3 in 1 not attack foam? Thanks, Aero
This guy is using 3 in 1 and apparently it works for him. I haven't used it so I couldn't say.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...31&postcount=9
Nov 10, 2018, 09:05 AM
When you say "Does not attack foam", you need to specify what type of foam. EPP is immune to just about anything (such as regular CA), but CA devours Styrofoam, blue/pink house insulation foam, etc. Likewise, many CA accelerators will eat the latter types of foam.

CD

Quick Reply