Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 05, 2018, 05:17 PM
Jim
Discussion

Beacon Fabri-Tac

I'm sure this is already a well known fact, but I'll say it again....Beacon Fabri-Tac works as well as their Foam-Tac on foam. I have no scientific data to support this as it is my opinion only. Try it if you don't believe me.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2018, 09:45 PM
flyin' fool
OK, will do.....

A two ounce Foam-Tac is over $20 with tax here now north of the 49th

Must be a new trade war tariff.
Last edited by goldguy; Nov 05, 2018 at 09:51 PM.
Nov 05, 2018, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W
I'm sure this is already a well known fact, but I'll say it again....Beacon Fabri-Tac works as well as their Foam-Tac on foam. I have no scientific data to support this as it is my opinion only. Try it if you don't believe me.
Indeed! I've been using it for years.
Nov 06, 2018, 10:54 AM
treefinder
Haven't myself, but FBs have, their warning was thin coats and let it flash solvents well before bonding. One friend had a laminated wing come out hollow when the trapped solvent ate the bond line foam except around edges where solvent flashed off. My understanding is most of the cost difference is the foam safe solvent in foam-tac. Along with whatever the market will bear i suppose. . .
Nov 06, 2018, 02:40 PM
flyin' fool
I love the stuff and will pay whatever they ask.
Last edited by goldguy; Nov 06, 2018 at 02:49 PM.
Nov 06, 2018, 02:59 PM
Really?? At 20$ a 2oz bottle that's erm 1600$ (albeit cdn$) for a US Gallon.
But even at 10U$ that's still 800U$.
Wonder what production costs are ?

I Refuse to buy their products.. I'll use Nails if I have to.
Nov 06, 2018, 03:17 PM
flyin' fool
I'm never ever going to consume one gallon. EVER!

I can glue a lot of EPP together with two ounces. My 'end' cost per model still is 100 time less because I get to enjoy my builds for years and years. When I get bored with them they still have value and I can sell them at a small profit. I've never have had a problem with getting my money back.
Nov 06, 2018, 05:58 PM
Retired CAD guy
I am WITH Bare !
Nov 06, 2018, 06:10 PM

I have to come clean...

I had to go look to be sure what the label actually said on the bottle of glue I appropriated from my wife's craft box more than five years ago!

I store it upside down so it's always ready to deliver the super dense sticky goo.
Nov 07, 2018, 12:22 PM
Scratch builder
Since I don't use Fabri-Tac, and don't want to start a, "I use this glue", discussion to derail the thread, what are its characteristics?

Dry time? Strength? Working time?
Nov 07, 2018, 02:27 PM
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSt
Since I don't use Fabri-Tac, and don't want to start a, "I use this glue", discussion to derail the thread, what are its characteristics?

Dry time? Strength? Working time?
I've not timed any aspect of its use, but it seems to work the same as Foam-Tac to me. I like to determine the end result of the bond after an overnight cure time. It tacs and holds fairly quickly as far as a working time. Sorry, but this isn't much help I know! Maybe someone else will weigh in.
Nov 08, 2018, 09:36 AM
Scratch builder
Thanks, I will search Foam Tac.
Nov 08, 2018, 11:00 AM
https://www.beaconadhesives.com

I started using 3 in 1 when I discovered my Foam tac had dried up. That was a lot of years ago. I apply glue to one side, assemble to squish the glue evenly, take apart and fan for 5-10 seconds then re-assemble. Instantly strong enough to continue building on the same pieces.

Sound familiar Jim W?

There seems to be a lot of similarities with the Beacon glues. The ones mentioned here, Foam Tac, Fabri tac and 3 in 1 all clean with acetone and appear to have a 24 hour cure.
Nov 08, 2018, 03:00 PM
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcas flier
https://www.beaconadhesives.com

I started using 3 in 1 when I discovered my Foam tac had dried up. That was a lot of years ago. I apply glue to one side, assemble to squish the glue evenly, take apart and fan for 5-10 seconds then re-assemble. Instantly strong enough to continue building on the same pieces.

Sound familiar Jim W?

There seems to be a lot of similarities with the Beacon glues. The ones mentioned here, Foam Tac, Fabri tac and 3 in 1 all clean with acetone and appear to have a 24 hour cure.
Yes, very familiar. I get the same result by applying bead of glue, separate and wait a few seconds, then position for bond. As you mention, it does cure in about 24hrs + or -.

I haven't tried to laminate 2 pieces of foam together with Fabri-Tac, but I'm going to try it just to see what happens!
Nov 08, 2018, 10:05 PM
flyin' fool
If your Foam-Tac gets too thick, stir in some mineral spirits/paint thinner.

I've even reactivated a bottle that was almost solid. It took a lot of adding and stirring though.

I still got the same results when using.

Quick Reply