Apr 30, 2019, 07:14 PM
Thread OP
So it has been awhile and now I have a couple of weeks before summer classes begin and a part 107 exam scheduled, so in my free time I have been going at a furious pace to attempt to finish up the fuselage. Interesting problem is I will need to bend the carbon stringers to match the curvature of the empennage. I do believe this is possible but alternate methods or idea are appreciated. Hopefully this is progress enough to satiate those like me who love progress pics ! With the two fuselage sections complete in before and aft of the wind cradle area, they have been modified as to support both a CS-100 and CS-300 fuselage, depending on choice. Does anyone know where the best location is to put these stl files for people to attempt to print? Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2019, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_oblivious
Interesting problem is I will need to bend the carbon stringers to match the curvature of the empennage. I do believe this is possible but alternate methods or idea are appreciated.
What size carbon tubes are you using? I have several 6x4x200mm tubes for my build, and those are extremely stiff! I worry that if you attempted to bend carbon tubes, even smaller ones like 4mm, that they will have built-up tension, and deform the fuselage when installed.

Another option would be to offset the existing tubes deeper into the fuselage. Otherwise, you can have a second set of carbon tubes to cover the tail section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_oblivious
Does anyone know where the best location is to put these stl files for people to attempt to print? Thanks!
If they are small enough, you can just attach it to your post, much like a picture. Otherwise you might need to host on dropbox/OneDrive/Thingiverse/etc.
Apr 30, 2019, 10:37 PM
TTN
TTN
There's a few options for hosting your files. I try to avoid thingiverse since the terms say they own the rights of your objects when you upload, they can use your object for whatever purposes without crediting you and you waive your rights. (see section 3.2 License) They used to be very popular but are in decline.

I like to use https://www.youmagine.com/ and https://www.myminifactory.com/
There's also cults3d and cgtrader but I prefer Youmagine
May 01, 2019, 08:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dee
What size carbon tubes are you using? I have several 6x4x200mm tubes for my build, and those are extremely stiff! I worry that if you attempted to bend carbon tubes, even smaller ones like 4mm, that they will have built-up tension, and deform the fuselage when installed.
An immense concern I have too. My carbon rods are a measly 1/8th in diameter. The angled rods are a good idea, I would need to do some mounting modification to fit but it isnt impossible. Being so far away from the CG minimizing weight is a priority.
May 17, 2019, 12:02 PM
Thread OP
Summer session has begun and progress will slow to a crawl since I only have weekends from here on out. Update to say the thread will be a little silent with occasional updates when I have time. 40 hrs plus school gets a little fun time wise.
Jun 21, 2019, 08:45 AM
Thread OP
After a large hiatus, we are back! 1 class of the summer is done, and now I have free time. One of my friends is printing the first test section in ABS on a prusa i3. We will see where the tests go and what needs sacrificial areas to keep the ABS planted on the plate. Hopefully if life doesnt get too crazy, I have a wedding to plan, i'll have the fuselage model finished by next month.
Jun 24, 2019, 05:12 PM
Thread OP

First Test Print

This weekend I printed off the first test section. There was only minor elephant footing, and a slight bed shift 80% of the way through but with some printer adjustments I think I can get it perfect. This is currently the most difficult piece to print and I am overall happy with the results. The next section will be printed to test the joining method between the sections.
Jun 24, 2019, 10:56 PM
nice! You seem to have a lot of what look like alignment tabs of various sizes/shapes? do some of these have a certain purpose?
Jun 25, 2019, 07:56 AM
Thread OP
Yes! Those are to provide for correct alignment with the axisymmetric modules. Other than mistake proofing the cardinal tabs are to attach into the main structural rib in picture 1. I ommited the holes in this test piece but they will be integrated into the final design. The small halfmoon tabs are to link the skin to hold shear across the "unsupported" panels. These will add a little bit of weight but I am hoping that it will make the connecting location stronger than the panels. Plus there are little holes that will hold the 1/8th in carbon stringers to further locate and strengthen the fuselage.
Jul 14, 2019, 09:35 PM
Thread OP

Empennage 2

Just finished the second empennage and now there are two sections left for the fuselage until the main wings and stabillizers. Usually those are quicker since the modeling tend to be less finicky.
Jul 23, 2019, 09:14 AM
Thread OP

Update 23/7/2019

Last night I finished up the horizontal stabilizer portion of the fuselage. No pics as of yet, but all that is left for the fuselage is the APU section. Up next is poking holes to figure out how to attach the structure for the spars on the main wings and rudder/elevators. The internal supports for the batteries and electronics bay will be simple tabs to attach to the main structure. I plan on adding gps capabilities to this to add compatibility for those who want to run autopilots. Slow but decent progress, school is in finals for the next two weeks and then I should make some more rapid progress.
Jul 24, 2019, 08:17 PM
Thread OP

Fuselage complete

I have completed the fuselage and next up is the attachment features for the main wings and the stabilizers. The last section to add to the fuselage, at a later date, is details such as cargo doors, entry ways and the cockpit windows. I plan to have retracts so nose gear doors will need to be added as well. Good progress so far and hopefully more will come at this pace.
Jul 24, 2019, 09:16 PM
coming along nicely!
Jul 27, 2019, 05:53 PM
Thread OP

Vertical stabilizer and rudder

Today I finished up the vertical stabilizer and the rudder. I still need to workout the hinge between the two but I Think I have a good hidden hinge style going on. Finalizing the attachment between the vertical stabilizer and the fuselage still needs to be worked out but overall good progress. It is amazing how just adding the rudder invigorates the building process and makes it look even more like a plane.
Aug 01, 2019, 02:45 PM
Thread OP
I wasnt happy with the aesthetics of a 0012 airfoil for the vertical stab, so I have spent the past few days fixing broken links to incorporate a 0009 airfoil. There is enough room to fit a 12g servo still and with multiple attachment points I am happy with the design. No my main issue is how to hinge the rudder. Worst case I have enough room I can make a torque tube design and run the shaft through to the fuselage, but I am a fan of easy maintenance

Quick Reply