Jan 31, 2019, 08:10 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
Oooops, sorry I missed Chris' response... REP...
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2019, 11:47 AM
Did I read that correctly before? 7-10 degrees of washout? That seems like a massive amount... I do not build or know much about airliner flight science at these scales... But it just seems like a lot. I usually design in 1.5 - 2 degrees of washout in my builds...

On a flight science level, is that really what's required for a safely flying airliner model?

Cool project, great modeling.

-david
Feb 03, 2019, 11:48 AM
Did I read that correctly before? 7-10 degrees of washout? That seems like a massive amount... I do not build or know much about airliner flight science at these scales... But it just seems like a lot. I usually design in 1.5 - 2 degrees of washout in my builds...

On a flight science level, is that really what's required for a safely flying airliner model?

Cool project, great modeling.

-david
Feb 04, 2019, 09:17 AM
Thread OP
7-10 degrees is on the high end for sure, I tend to stick to around 5 degrees, but the attempt is to eliminate tip stall tendencies from wing sweep and since I am trying to limit myself to 52" wingspan have a feeling that I will end up with a high wing loading which will drive my cruise/ stall speed up. To counter act that I will be adding incidence angle to the root, and the airfoil I have chosen for the tip generates lift to about -4 degrees. Just winging it so far with general C_L lift calcs, and root at 5 degrees to tip at -4 is a generous beginning. Those values will certainly be updated as weights are calculated.

https://www.rcscalebuilder.com/tutor...ut/washout.pdf
In that pdf this plane hits almost all of the reasons to include washout
A 310 had 5 degrees of washout
Last edited by too_oblivious; Feb 04, 2019 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Included washout pdf
Feb 17, 2019, 05:27 PM
Thread OP
After finally finding some time to finish up the first half of the wing cradle, I am happy to where progress has come so far, and many thanks to DirtyDee for his INCREDIBLE images. Now that I have less homework I am hoping that I will be able to plunk away at the fuselage at a faster rate and integrate the removable wing structure and battery housing held within.
Mar 24, 2019, 06:42 PM
Hope you get a chance to get back to this. Look like it could be very nice.
Mar 25, 2019, 08:28 AM
Thread OP
I appreciate the compliment! I absolutely will! Spare time is at a minimum with grad school taking up all my spare time.
Apr 01, 2019, 09:57 AM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
I wish I could have a free license of solidworks...
Apr 01, 2019, 10:31 AM
Thread OP
The experimental aircraft "club?" is an organization that when you are enrolled will reduce the cost of solidworks to $40, DirtyDee has better details on the attainability of the software so you can send him a message. Look for him on this thread or his A330 thread. If you are enrolled in school sometimes they off free licenses or reduced cost student editions. If neither of those fit your fancy, AutoDesk Fusion360 is the good ol' FREE for hobbyists. Offers just as much capability but in my opinion is not as polished as solidworks but that is my bias speaking
Apr 01, 2019, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_oblivious
The experimental aircraft "club?" is an organization that when you are enrolled will reduce the cost of solidworks to $40, DirtyDee has better details on the attainability of the software so you can send him a message. Look for him on this thread or his A330 thread. If you are enrolled in school sometimes they off free licenses or reduced cost student editions. If neither of those fit your fancy, AutoDesk Fusion360 is the good ol' FREE for hobbyists. Offers just as much capability but in my opinion is not as polished as solidworks but that is my bias speaking
I think that's correct from what I can see using Fusion. I'm managing to get things done with Fusion though so it's workable but I can see areas already that I think "would be cool if it could do...". Solidworks is probably better for the actual modeling. I think Fusion might have some sims aspects solid works may not have, not that I care about that for plane modeling.
Apr 21, 2019, 03:21 PM
Thread OP

Update 4/21/2019

With Finals upcoming next week i managed to squeeze a little time here and there to add another section of the fuselage/ wing cradle section. I need to update for the main load bearing spar but that is a relatively easy thing to change. Only 3 more fuselage sections and it should be complete. Then on to wing tail and stabilizer modeling. Hopefully I will be able to figure out a way to model in the windows to the fuse for some added detailing.
Apr 21, 2019, 08:56 PM
Here is a Solidworks model of the A220:

https://grabcad.com/library/airbus-a220-bombardier-1
Apr 21, 2019, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_oblivious
Hopefully I will be able to figure out a way to model in the windows to the fuse for some added detailing.

Check my a330 build-along blog. I covered how did the window details. basically extrude a surface, split, and offset surface 0.3mm on both faces to basically push it inward 0.3mm
Apr 22, 2019, 07:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPLJR
Here is a Solidworks model of the A220:

https://grabcad.com/library/airbus-a220-bombardier-1
I appreciate the find! I am adding in details and 3d printing specific features that would render that model obsolete. I might take it as a reference and compare measurements, but I would hope with the maintenance manual DirtyDee linked to me earlier I would have a higher accuracy in comparison.
Thanks!
Apr 22, 2019, 07:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dee
Check my a330 build-along blog. I covered how did the window details. basically extrude a surface, split, and offset surface 0.3mm on both faces to basically push it inward 0.3mm
That is a seamless operation! I was going to get a lot more convoluted than that to push in the windows. I really appreciate your help and the A330 guide. I reference that more than I would like to admit. It is a bang on work flow.

Quick Reply