Thread Tools
Nov 05, 2018, 11:13 AM
Foam Wrecker
BillBlair's Avatar
Discussion

Will drone and RC pilots be treated fairly if the worst happens?


Will drone and RC pilots be treated fairly if the worst happens? (16 min 39 sec)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2018, 11:39 AM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
franklin_m's Avatar
They will all be treated as they are, members of the category of aircraft called "sUAS."
Nov 05, 2018, 12:18 PM
Registered User
That's not saying a lot really
Nov 05, 2018, 12:23 PM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
franklin_m's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didactylos4
That's not saying a lot really
Actually, it speaks to how legislation / regulation views them. Which is to say it speaks a lot.
Nov 05, 2018, 07:57 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
xanuser's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_m
They will all be treated as they are, members of the category of aircraft called "sUAS."
Thats the whole gist of the thread. How will we really be treated and under their (grossly misinformed) definition and regs of RC aircraft?
Nov 05, 2018, 08:31 PM
Registered User
I think it's pretty clear that if the worst happens, no matter what, the drone or model pilot will be blamed. Airplane buzzes model aircraft field, hits model, model pilot should have gotten out of the way.
Nov 05, 2018, 08:36 PM
Gravity is patient............
This hits close to home for me as we have many pilots in our area that routinely break the deck rules over our residential neighborhoods.

I would much rather a drone hit my house than a full scale aircraft. How about you? And yet the FAA routinely looks the other way from these violators while focusing a ton of energy on clamping down on harmless models. And they are factually harmless since their safety record is impeccable.

So tired of the nonsensical hand wringers focusing on all the wrong things to make us safe. I am much safer with full scale following deck rules. I would rather my home get hit by a drone every day than ever to have one single full scale crash into it. The two outcomes are not comparable and it's obvious. Yet we better take our drones to the middle of nowhere, meanwhile another full scale flies treetops through my neighborhood and not a peep.

Another thing. If full scale can't survive impact with a 2 lb foam fpv plane, why are we allowing anyone to ever fly? If this is the case, aircraft are not safe enough and we are all taking huge chances every time we fly. A much more dangerous choice than the craziest and most reckless of drone pilots. Fact.
Nov 05, 2018, 09:25 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60
This hits close to home for me as we have many pilots in our area that routinely break the deck rules over our residential neighborhoods.

I would much rather a drone hit my house than a full scale aircraft. How about you? And yet the FAA routinely looks the other way from these violators while focusing a ton of energy on clamping down on harmless models. And they are factually harmless since their safety record is impeccable.

So tired of the nonsensical hand wringers focusing on all the wrong things to make us safe. I am much safer with full scale following deck rules. I would rather my home get hit by a drone every day than ever to have one single full scale crash into it. The two outcomes are not comparable and it's obvious. Yet we better take our drones to the middle of nowhere, meanwhile another full scale flies treetops through my neighborhood and not a peep.

Another thing. If full scale can't survive impact with a 2 lb foam fpv plane, why are we allowing anyone to ever fly? If this is the case, aircraft are not safe enough and we are all taking huge chances every time we fly. A much more dangerous choice than the craziest and most reckless of drone pilots. Fact.

Aircraft numbers are sized to be seen at 500', allowing anyone to identify and report any low-flying aircraft violating FAA regulations.
The FAA investigates each and every one of those and routinely brings actions against pilots where there is actual evidence.

There is a thread here with much of the same from several posters about GA aircraft pilots supposedly doing this or that. Not one poster making
a claim bothered to report the alleged violation. The OP was supposedly about an illegal flight over a mall in a metro area population 1,000,000+.
Not one person there reported it either. The thread withered and died because GA bashing is just another droner red herring.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-min-alt-rules
Last edited by SFBC; Nov 05, 2018 at 09:34 PM.
Nov 05, 2018, 09:28 PM
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
I think it's pretty clear that if the worst happens, no matter what, the drone or model pilot will be blamed. Airplane buzzes model aircraft field, hits model, model pilot should have gotten out of the way.
Yep. Sums that one up perfectly.
Nov 05, 2018, 09:53 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
xanuser's Avatar
any stat comparisons are completely whacked out.
before MR became popular most RC "model" aircraft sightings by manned flights were likely assumed to be full sized craft but much, much further away. so never even considered a threat from the pilots perspective. if not, they had to report it as a UFO. so many pilots just zipped their lips fearing ridicule.
now that there are DJI's available in costco, every stray party balloon or airborne tumble weed a manned craft thinks they see is an evil drone.
had YT/FB/insta and smartphones been a thing for the last 80 years, the documented history of "traditional" model RC would not be so unblemished.


shoot take the percentage of those that own and fly RC aircraft, and the amount of manned air flights in 1970 to now, and your bound to have more close calls.

have the number of manned to manned aircraft close calls/accidents grown or declined as the skies have gotten more crowded over the last 80 years?

IMO in the next few decades there will need to be a lot of changes made to how airspace is handled for everyone. -commercial, private manned, experimental manned, delivery drone, rec drones, gliders, internet balloons/wings, manned multi rotors, news choppers, firefighting aircraft (yes fire drones are coming), blimps and traditional LOS fixed wings. having one class of flight have all the rights is not going to work much longer without accidents from each category.

Silicon Valley Company Preps Affordable Flying Car for 2019 (4 min 43 sec)
Last edited by xanuser; Nov 05, 2018 at 10:01 PM.
Nov 05, 2018, 10:29 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser

IMO in the next few decades there will need to be a lot of changes made to how airspace is handled for everyone. -commercial, private manned, experimental manned, delivery drone, rec drones, gliders, internet balloons/wings, manned multi rotors, news choppers, firefighting aircraft (yes fire drones are coming), blimps and traditional LOS fixed wings. having one class of flight have all the rights work much longer without accidents from each category.
The only drones allowed in the NAS, as now, will have to comply with whatever operational and hardware requirements of the FAR's at the
time, and that is in the process of being tightened. "Rec drones" never, except under hobby restrictions, as now, which will also be tightened.

The average hobbyist just does not have a clue about airspace regulations and the FAA.
Nov 05, 2018, 11:04 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
The Black Fly MR will throw a monkey wrench into a droner's gears. It's an ultralight, no license no registration.
Nov 06, 2018, 12:17 AM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
xanuser's Avatar
no clue what you posted.
but if you're speaking of rules, maybe try playing by them.
Nov 06, 2018, 04:53 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
I think it's pretty clear that if the worst happens, no matter what, the drone or model pilot will be blamed. Airplane buzzes model aircraft field, hits model, model pilot should have gotten out of the way.

Probably true but, from my reading of incident reports, not always.
There are certainly cases in the UK where deliberate intrusions into space occupied by model planes/ drones and even police drones by full scales have been condemned by the authorities.
That is simply because the pilots of the remote aircraft formally reported the incidents.
It is why I advocate for remote fliers to ALWAYS report such incidents.
It is why all flying in the groups I belong to is monitored by video camera (members of both groups clubbed together to buy a good one for each site).
If GA or remote pilots are engaging in dangerous or foolish activities we owe it to ourselves, the people around us and even to the pilots themselves to report any such incidents.
Reporting is not a one-way street
Nov 06, 2018, 08:02 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
Thats the whole gist of the thread. How will we really be treated and under their (grossly misinformed) definition and regs of RC aircraft?
Misinformed they are not. It simply makes control of all types easier.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion When will Syma X25 Pro RC Drone Be in Stock androidj Multirotor Drone Talk 4 May 20, 2018 05:57 AM
Discussion Worst Place To be a Pilot - Season 1 Episode 1 |HD rockyboy2 Life, The Universe, and Politics 7 Feb 23, 2018 12:53 AM
Discussion I think it would be fair if Trump releases his taxes in full.. Dave Campbell Life, The Universe, and Politics 16 Jun 02, 2016 05:17 AM
Discussion Drones will soon not be the worst issue Destroy Model Aircraft & Drone Advocacy 35 Dec 02, 2015 02:47 PM
Discussion Pilot's license will be required for commercial drones NorfolkSouthern Commercial UAV/FPV 68 Oct 21, 2015 11:21 PM