Aug 22, 2019, 01:54 PM
Mine was also tail heavy, used a 4S 4000mah to get cg right.
I suspect there are different versions, mine had the rather useless push through rudder horn, not with screws.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2019, 02:46 PM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D model.
I don't use the mark.

I know mine is not tail heavy because a neutral plane, my 3D planes CG preference, when trimmed to fly horizontal doesn't need any down elevator input to fly reversed. A true tail heavy plane will need up elevator, a critical condition. I suggest you to do the dive test at 45 deg.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...mliner/page158
Aug 23, 2019, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremerrick
Hi can you share what your battery setup was.? When i tried using one 3s 2200 it was too light in the nose and the only i way i got it to balance was to pair two 3s 2200 about 1inch from the firewall nose.
I' very just finished putting a Phoenix 2400 together and find exactly the same.
Today I shall make an xt60 adapter so my set up will be two 3s 2200 in parallel.

XT60 Parallel Adapter - How to build your own! (17 min 46 sec)
Aug 25, 2019, 07:59 AM
I fly my stock Volantex Phoenix 2400 strictly for thermal chasing or soaring, no throttle. I understand that CG is a question of preference and that most plane builders suggest a very safe ( high static margin) CG, but my conclusion is that it is possible to fly safely the Phoenix light for optimal soaring if desired. I did the dive test on a zero wind day. The plane is trimmed to fly forward slowly , slow descend, no throttle. The addition of throttle always make the stock plane to climb especially with the lighter battery. Here are my conclusions.

With one Graphene 1300mha 3S, 45C, 122gr. I get a dive in the lower D region. The plane need a fair amount of up elevator to fly reversed.
With one 2100mha 3S, 35C,188gr. I get a dive in the higher D region. The plane need a higher amount of down elevator to fly reversed.
The plane always roll when diving fast , be careful and hope it's only mine !

The 1300mha 3S 45C battery is the bare minimum in capacity ( stock motor and prop) to fly this plane. I can do 3 or 4 high climbs max and land at 3.7 v.
Sep 02, 2019, 07:19 PM
To all,
Purchased a Lanyu/Volantex Phoenix 2400 from Hobby Kings USA warehouse. Chose this glider because the Radian XL is no longer available. Was purchased for thermal soaring. Because the wing chord is greater than the Lanyu ASW-28 I expected better thermal,performance.

After assembling the model the CG did not seem right. Using a 3S 2200mah battery pushed as far forward as possible, up to the former it balances between 80-85 mm back from LE. This turned out to be the right spot

First flight 24 minutes total time with 5 min of motor run. Second flight 33 minutes with 3 min motor run. After 3rd motor climb I realized thermal lift started at 400'. Rode thermals up to 900 feet, about the limit of my vision. Came down to 460 and stayed in lift for 20 minutes. Very pleased with this sailplane and it will get a lot of airtime.
Sep 06, 2019, 02:05 PM
Posted a while ago in phoenix 2000 thread that i ordered a 2400, decided to continue here. Great plane overall and i am very happy with it, the shipping took very long time so i ordered S800 v2 as well and had my beginner school with it, flying a 2400 is a kids play compared to my S800 haha. Anyway..

What are your opinions on the stock servos? I have some good ones laying around and thinking about changing all the stock ones to metal bearing ones because one flap servo already failed me on second flight, maiden flight was ok, but after second landing it died, maybe i broke it? I had flaps on during contact with land, maybe that ruined it?

Thanks for thoughts.

https://i.imgur.com/8SO3mr0.jpg
Sep 07, 2019, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypik
Posted a while ago in phoenix 2000 thread that i ordered a 2400, decided to continue here. Great plane overall and i am very happy with it, the shipping took very long time so i ordered S800 v2 as well and had my beginner school with it, flying a 2400 is a kids play compared to my S800 haha. Anyway..

What are your opinions on the stock servos? I have some good ones laying around and thinking about changing all the stock ones to metal bearing ones because one flap servo already failed me on second flight, maiden flight was ok, but after second landing it died, maybe i broke it? I had flaps on during contact with land, maybe that ruined it?

Thanks for thoughts.

https://i.imgur.com/8SO3mr0.jpg
Definitely IMO good practice to swop out stock servos for metal geared, especially on flaps. The model is of a size where it matters.
Keep the servos for something less important.
Sep 07, 2019, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin O
Definitely IMO good practice to swop out stock servos for metal geared, especially on flaps. The model is of a size where it matters.
Keep the servos for something less important.
Alright, i will change them all. Is there way or a reason to lubricate the servos from the inside?
Sep 08, 2019, 05:06 AM
I had no problem with my servos on 30 flights, they center well and they are fast enough for the job.
I shortened and rounded off the 4 main wing horns near the last hole near the wing to avoid ground contact as much as possible.
Last edited by fauconnier; Sep 08, 2019 at 06:24 AM.
Sep 09, 2019, 06:24 AM

Tail servo location mods

Hi guys, I did notice on my P2000 V2 that the tail control horns were kind of BIG.
I also thought the servo arms looked pretty vulnerable. My landing area is long grass.
I decided to relocate, and embed the servos into the stab (elevator) and the tail fin (rudder)
I relocated the rudder control horn to just above the stab, clear of the plastic.
The elevator servo is close to the vertical fin, just clear of the mounting plastic.
I altered the length of the linkages to suit.
I kept the servo locations fairly close to the hinges.
I pushed the servo connectors through a very small slot at the centre of the elevator hinge, and into the slightly widened hole at the rear end of the fuselage. The servo openings in the fuse were handy for fishing the connectors and extension leads. Simple to create mini covers for the servo openings.
I decided to fit a small tail skid extension from the fuselage to under the rudder. This reduces the risk of the bottom of the rudder from hooking the grass. ( The jarring could also affect a sevo)
These mods have have worked well for me. I now have dozens of landings in the long grass, with no damage to the plastic geared servos.
The source of this "inspiration" came from Volantex with their ASW 28 which come with factory fitted servos in the tail surfaces.
I wonder why they didn't continue that concept into the P2000 V2 and the P2400?????

I have shortened the wing control horns as have others on this forum. So far the wing servos have survived, BUT, sometime during winter, I might just move all of the wing surface control arms and linkages to the top side of the wings, as a mini project. Trouble is it won't look so pretty on the ground. Hmmmm, well the wings don't actually look new any more anyway!!!!!!!

Banggood and their transit company have lost my P2400, ordered in June this year They insisted I had to wait 60 working days before they would take further action. The order has now been resent 31 August!!! I am one very frustrated bunny.
Go With the Flow
Bruce
Sep 09, 2019, 11:25 AM
Anyone running a Matek F405 or F722 in this plane? My original plan for this one was to use an Eagletree Vector in it, but I would up using my Vector in a different plane.

So now the new plan is to put the F405 in there and run it on Ardupilot so I can experiment with automatic thermal hunting. If someone else is running this setup I'd love to hear the details, thanks!!

EDIT: turns out a pilot in the other thread is running this setup
Last edited by smoothvirus; Sep 09, 2019 at 11:35 AM.
Sep 09, 2019, 01:15 PM
I have an F405-Wing in mine.
Sep 10, 2019, 07:07 AM
foamies never die
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothvirus
Anyone running a Matek F405 or F722 in this plane? My original plan for this one was to use an Eagletree Vector in it, but I would up using my Vector in a different plane.

So now the new plan is to put the F405 in there and run it on Ardupilot so I can experiment with automatic thermal hunting. If someone else is running this setup I'd love to hear the details, thanks!!

EDIT: turns out a pilot in the other thread is running this setup
Any particular reason to use Ardupilot ? - have you tried iNav ?
Sep 10, 2019, 09:08 AM
Terrain following mode is the most important if you fly in a hilly area.
Full Mavlink support for missions, logs and telemetry.
General functionality and maturity of the code.

I must admit, I've only ever used any of the cleanflight-based firmware versions on toy-quality airplanes with controllers which weren't capable of running arduplane.
Sep 10, 2019, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bunker
Any particular reason to use Ardupilot ? - have you tried iNav ?
I'm going to setup iNav on a different plane.

I also want to learn Ardupilot because it would be a nice thing to have on the resumé.

And iNav doesn't have the capability for auto thermaling which is something I'd like to experiment with.

Quick Reply