This thread is privately moderated by rclad, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 05, 2018, 10:27 AM
My best days are screw ups.
Thread OP
Discussion

IMAC 2018 Sportsman Sequence - View from the Cockpit

I bought a Mobius I camera and HK gimbal a year ago and finally got it installed in the IMAC plane I flew in Basic last year. I hadn't flown the plane since April, and it was badly out of trim, and I hadn't flown the Sportsman sequence since September, so I was out of practice. This is sloppy flying compared to what I can do with some practice and warm up, but it's fun to see what the sequence looks like from the cockpit. It also helps to see what errors I'm making on a consistent basis, like coming out of a half outside loop with right wing low. Most errors I can see from the ground, but this was one error I was missing.

The camera is mounted on a gimbal that tilts up and down with elevator input, and rotates with rudder - only the 9g Spektrum gimbal servo rotates opposite from my rudder servo. They share a Y connection, so I will have to put the gimbal servo on a separate channel to get it to rotate correctly. There is too much slop in the gears to hold the camera steady, so an upgrade to better servos is needed. This was mainly a proof of concept flight to see how much a video could help improve my precision. It looks like there is much to improve!

87" Extra 300 Flying IMAC Sportsman Sequence for 2018 (9 min 56 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2018, 09:16 PM
That was very cool. Thank you for posting!
Nov 05, 2018, 10:45 PM
My best days are screw ups.
Thread OP
Glad you enjoyed it. A little more exciting than watching paint dry, isn't it? I'd like to have an Unlimited pilot record a video like this to promote the sport.

Quick Reply