Slope Soaring a Helicopter - Video

Youtube user Jakes van Heerden posted this video back in 2012 showing him sloping an RC helicopter.

Splash

Even Helicopters Enjoy Lift

We've all heard the saying, "If you put enough power in it, you can fly a brick." Well I have a new saying, "If you have enough wind, you can slope a heli." This is an older video, but I've never seen it before and maybe many of you haven't either or even knew this was possible. Youtube user Jakes van Heerden posted this video back in 2012 showing him sloping an RC helicopter.

No power was used to turn the rotor, other than the wind of course. You can see in the video that the wind was ripping, it was able to turn the blades fast enough to provide lift. He essentially auto-rotates in the wind and it keeps the heli aloft and under control. It's pretty amazing to watch and while it's not super practical to go out sloping helicopters, it is a great showcase of what is possible with the power of wind. What's the craziest thing you've ever sloped?

Slope flying a Heli (2 min 27 sec)

Nov 05, 2018, 02:51 PM
Onward and Upward
Good job!
Nov 05, 2018, 10:24 PM
Forward ever, backward never!
Good find! Slope soaring a heli is definitely a neat trick.

Now to auto-rotate and slope soar a quadcopter... (kidding)
Nov 06, 2018, 02:02 AM
Faster is Better
Very cool.
Latest blog entry: LEG Fat Albert Take 2
Nov 06, 2018, 09:59 AM
ONE POINT,, the guy holding the Helicopter ?? Could end up with (( MAIN BLADES IN HIS ,,,,FACE !!)) BAD IDEA !!
PS: I've been flying Helicopters for over 12 years , and have read and seen videos that would stop me from doing this !!! Ouch !!
DanT
Nov 06, 2018, 10:30 AM
RCG Admin
Dan, I was thinking the same thing! No way I would hold that thing.
Nov 06, 2018, 05:00 PM
Lift is where you find it.
Haven't done it for real, but have played with it many times in RealFlight at the Sierra Nevada slope. Take off under power and use the throttle kill switch once airborne. And yeah, you need to turn the wind up.
Nov 06, 2018, 06:21 PM
Isn't it just a autogyro/gyrocopter at this point? Using wind instead of a rear propeller ?
Nov 07, 2018, 04:21 AM

yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmypuncher
Isn't it just a autogyro/gyrocopter at this point? Using wind instead of a rear propeller ?
People who are "surprised this is possible" don't have a clue about the "laws of physics" part of helicopters (note not including the "RC" reference since scale does not influence this)
You are looking at a "Auto-rotation" just with a low disk-loading resulting in a descent rate below the vertical air speed resulting in gaining altitude relative to ground.
Nov 07, 2018, 08:03 PM
Haha no way! that's awesome
Nov 07, 2018, 09:39 PM
Brilliant.
Nov 08, 2018, 01:30 AM
It's not going to build itself
Yep, saw a guy named Larry do that once a long time ago on our local slope. The wind was ripping and he flew it pretty well.
Latest blog entry: Some vids
Nov 08, 2018, 01:14 PM
I have an old gyro copter, never built. Alfa models, maybe. I'm going to put in some servos and try it!
Nov 08, 2018, 03:47 PM
RCG Admin
Video that please!
Nov 09, 2018, 03:38 PM
How was yaw controlled or did you lock the one way bearing on the rotor shaft?
Gene

Quick Reply