Nov 05, 2018, 09:18 AM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
Question

Scratchbuilt

My understanding was 'Scratch Building" is the process of drawing up plans and cutting your wood manually.
Is this still the case?
I see the current issue of MA discusses two scratch-built aircraft. I believe the plans were designed but the wood is from Manzano Laser Works. Is this shortcut a standard now or just how this article was done...
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2018, 09:25 AM
This is a religious question.

True believers will tell you that

"Scratch-built" means you make your own plans then do everything. (There is some valid disagreement with whether a scale model can be truly "scratch" since you are using somebody else's planform).
"Plans-built" means you use somebody else's plans but your own wood.
"Short kit" means somebody cut the parts for you, but you supply the sticks and sheeting.
"Kit" means the sticks and sheeting come in the box and usually things like bend wire LG.

The infidels in one of the other religions think that "scratch" can be anything up to "Kit" while another set of infidels thinks that any time you use glue, it's "scratch."

Andy
Nov 05, 2018, 10:20 AM
Owner of CFC Graphics
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
This is a religious question.

True believers will tell you that

"Scratch-built" means you make your own plans then do everything. (There is some valid disagreement with whether a scale model can be truly "scratch" since you are using somebody else's planform).
"Plans-built" means you use somebody else's plans but your own wood.
"Short kit" means somebody cut the parts for you, but you supply the sticks and sheeting.
"Kit" means the sticks and sheeting come in the box and usually things like bend wire LG.

The infidels in one of the other religions think that "scratch" can be anything up to "Kit" while another set of infidels thinks that any time you use glue, it's "scratch."

Andy
There was a time, and few go back that far or they have forgotten, if you wanted to build a particular model you would have to draw plans, cut your own wood, bend your gear, etc. This was the true art form of scratch building.

I STILL DO IT! I even design my own models to boot.

So, if there's an award,

I'll take it!
Nov 05, 2018, 11:14 AM
To avoid problems associated with this question I always say "scratch/plan" build if using someone else's plan or, in the case of the me drawing my own plan, I'd refer to that as a scratch build. Even if I draw my own set of plans I'd still end up using something or other that I did not fabricate or create myself on the project especially in today's modeling environment.

Joe
Nov 05, 2018, 12:31 PM
Owner of CFC Graphics
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe
To avoid problems associated with this question I always say "scratch/plan" build if using someone else's plan or, in the case of the me drawing my own plan, I'd refer to that as a scratch build. Even if I draw my own set of plans I'd still end up using something or other that I did not fabricate or create myself on the project especially in today's modeling environment.

Joe
A modeler can scratch build from someone's drawn plans. Plenty of plans on the market, a good thing.

This is probably where most of the scratch building takes place.

I have absolutely no issues with someone who says they scratch built their model from so and so's plans.

I've done this plenty of times. The model is still scratch built.

Here's a viewpoint.

As long as there's participation in the hobby, grow your own balsa or assemble an ARF, it's a good thing!

A really good thing.
Nov 05, 2018, 01:03 PM
Pro Hoarder
I am with Andy
Scratch means you started with scratch/nothin..If you build from plans its plans built.
One seldom used term is O.D. or own design...same as scratch building.
I will apply scratch also if you started with some ones plans but changed the design enough that you had to draw up new parts.
Latest blog entry: In flight
Nov 05, 2018, 01:23 PM
Owner of CFC Graphics
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
I am with Andy
Scratch means you started with scratch/nothin..If you build from plans its plans built.
One seldom used term is O.D. or own design...same as scratch building.
I will apply scratch also if you started with some ones plans but changed the design enough that you had to draw up new parts.
I consider this model scratched even though it started out as an Adrian Paige kit.

Most of the kit balsa and ply was left in the box and the plans were nothing like the actual Gee Bee Z. Now it's 95% scale.

I redrew the scale planes over the AP plans using tracing paper. The differences were obvious and there were many. I made the glass cowling.

I don't consider this Gee Bee Z a Paige design because it isn't. Or it isn't any longer.

You decide.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...gee-bee-z.html
Nov 05, 2018, 01:39 PM
I'm with Andy, being that I'm also an avid scratch-builder/designer. A true scratch-builder does his/her own designing, thinking through all the mechanical problems.

Plans builders, kit builders, etc., can still have to work out technical issues, especially when they're using alternative materials, equipment, and so forth, but the original hard thinking work has already been done by the designer.

CD
Nov 05, 2018, 02:09 PM
Owner of CFC Graphics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
I'm with Andy, being that I'm also an avid scratch-builder/designer. A true scratch-builder does his/her own designing, thinking through all the mechanical problems.

Plans builders, kit builders, etc., can still have to work out technical issues, especially when they're using alternative materials, equipment, and so forth, but the original hard thinking work has already been done by the designer.

CD
A "true" scratch builder? Is there a "false" scratch builder.

I built this model from scratch and designed it. Drew my plans in CAD, made changes with a pen. Does this count?

Sure I purchased ribs from Sig but they were all the same length. I had to recut each one because my wing tapers. Tapers in thickness also.
Nov 05, 2018, 02:20 PM
"Drew my plans"
"Cut my ribs"

Sounds like the Scratch definition I mentioned.

Why do you doubt yourself so?

Andy
Nov 05, 2018, 02:23 PM
PS - Nice model.

Andy
Nov 05, 2018, 02:37 PM
team sleprock
I find, that the only time I get into an argument about "SCRATCH" V's "PLANS" built, is with peeps that actually start with a 3 view of a plane, and start from there!

even back in the 80's (when I started in RC) (built a lot of rubber band kits, when I was younger) for me and most of the flyers I knew, said " if you hafta cut your own parts" from a box of balsa, I.E. rib's and formers! you where scratch building!

I did do a OD way back when, built a low wing from existing rib design from another of my kits, then drawn my own wing and fuse for my Os.20fs for which there wasn't many planes in that size!

so it really depends on who you are talking too, when you ask the question!
Latest blog entry: Mig 29/Su37 super flanker
Nov 05, 2018, 02:52 PM
Owner of CFC Graphics
Quote:
so it really depends on who you are talking too, when you ask the question!
What was the question, I forgot?

I scratch built a few sets of these Gee Bee Z, 33% scale landing gears. Models at around 90" along with them also.

But because I used the late Don Neil's plans, I guess I didn't scratch build them.

Don supplied the plans, glass and canopies.

Were popular many years ago.
Nov 05, 2018, 09:42 PM
Whether you call it scratch, plans, kit, kit-bashing, or whatever, I think the most important question is whether or not you're having fun.

CD
Nov 05, 2018, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
Whether you call it scratch, plans, kit, kit-bashing, or whatever, I think the most important question is whether or not you're having fun.

CD
Fun? Racking my brain trying to visualize a 3d model from 2d drawings, waking in the middle of the night with that "aha" idea for your model, losing track of time in the shop, losing the tool you just set down on the bench, stringers sticking to your finger instead of the bulkhead, seeing something real rise up from the plans piece by piece, digging through bins of stuff you saved "just in case I need it later", blowing a giant brown booger full of balsa dust from your clogged nose, scrunching up a giant pile of balsa planer shavings, sitting impatiently waiting for epoxy or urethane or fiber glass resin to cure, cutting stupid hinge slots, peeling back the masking tape and finding a perfect line, plugging in the battery and seeing your creation come to life for the first time, thumbs trembling on the maiden flight, and having your non-modeling friends express their awe at your skills... OF COURSE WE'RE HAVING FUN!!!!!

Quick Reply