Nov 05, 2018, 03:49 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Build Log

VA-Models 36" Christen Eagle 2 EPP Full Fuse from Twisted Hobbys

Twisted sent me one of the new VA-Models Christen Eagle kits they are carrying to do a build log on. I've always been a fan of the Christen Eagle since seeing the Iron Eagles Aerobatic Team perform at airshows when I was a kid. The model does the original justice, as a great looking, quite capable 3D/Sport Aerobatic plane. I built the kit using the recomemded hardware and electronics: https://twistedhobbys.com/va-model-3...epp-full-fuse/ And I took a ton of photos during assembly.

I've put together at least half a dozen Twisted planes in the past, and while this build takes a bit longer, the result looks great. The instructions included from VA are basic, so I'm including extra details on how I set mine up to get it flying the way I like. I'm going to break the build up into several posts, but I'll start with a video of the finished plane.

VA Models Christen Eagle (7 min 11 sec)

Once setup, it's a really enjoyable model to fly, with a mix of 3D and scale aerobatics, and it certainly draws attention at the field.

I ended up settling in a 3s1300mAh battery, which keeps the plane very floaty.
Last edited by AJWoods; Nov 07, 2018 at 02:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2018, 04:13 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
First batch of photos:

For most of my EPP builds I use both CA and Welders. I find this to be the fastest way for me to build, where I tack things in place with the CA then go and add the welders as a fillet to the joints. This provides a nice mix of build speed and strength. I've found it particularly useful on this build where there are a number of alignment steps that need to be locked in before the welders would cure. Building preferences vary, but this is what works for me, and I find it holds up well over time.

For aligning the stab I used the "string method." Using a piece of of thread attached to the center of the fuselage with a pin, check that it is equal length to the outside of each elevator half at the hinge line. If the lengths are not equal adjust the angle of the stab until they match.
Last edited by AJWoods; Nov 05, 2018 at 04:22 AM.
Nov 05, 2018, 02:52 PM
Looking good Adam!
Nov 06, 2018, 11:51 AM
Love your builds, Adam! BTW what battery setup are you running?
Nov 07, 2018, 01:15 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Realm
Love your builds, Adam! BTW what battery setup are you running?
Thanks. I've flown it with a variety of batteries, up to a 3s2000, but I prefer it in a 3s1300mAh pack.
Latest blog entry: Stol f-16
Nov 07, 2018, 01:56 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
I improvised a bit in the motor installation to get proper spacing for the propeller, and help the CG with the servos in the tail.

Use the foam from the wing jigs to cut two firewall sized rectangles. These are sandwiched together to space the motor out from the foam bulkhead in the fuselage.

If you want to use a battery smaller than 1300mAh, I would recommend adding a third foam spacer.
Nov 07, 2018, 02:09 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Final bits.

I experimented with a variety of thrust angles, and found the best results with around 5 degrees down and right thrust. This can be achieved by installing a few washers under the top right motor mount (when looking at the plane nose on)

I cut a slot to install the battery vertically, right up against the front foam bulkhead. Try out a few different battery positions with Velcro, and once you find a spot that works for you, cut a hole for the battery.

That about does it

Quick Reply