Nov 04, 2018, 10:41 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Thread OP
Yippee!

6th annual Sunset State Beach Camp n Fly!!

When: May 4-5th 2019
Where: Sunset State Beach in Watsonville, CA

Last year was a smash hit! Letís make this year even better! Bring every type of glider, from light wings to heavy hitters! We are going to do a pot luck this year for the Sat night BBQ. We had so many people last year, we need to give Chad a break. Hahahaha.

I am all up for someone sending me a design for a shirt this year. I am not the best graphic artist, I know, but I will make another design this year and we can take a vote.

Get your campsites now!!!! They are going fast. as of now the only ones left are campsites 37-90. Here is were to go to reserve. https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=544

Let the event excitement begin!!!

Jeremy
Last edited by Diceman89; Nov 05, 2018 at 11:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2018, 12:01 AM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
Yipee!!!!!
Nov 05, 2018, 12:50 AM
I'm in. I was too late for last one.

Ron
Nov 05, 2018, 02:44 AM
vtpraerobatics.blogspot.c om
New to this event. Can someone describe the slope shape, length and lip contour, is it an easy walk from the car to set up camp etc? Videos and pics please.

E
Nov 05, 2018, 08:57 AM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
Parking is the main limiting factor. Last year, there were scores of non-campers trying to pack into the already-full day-use parking spots at the height of beach tourist season...this is a CAMP n fly event mostly.
Only two cars per camp site (but TONS of room for sharing groundspace for tents and gear...car-shuttling with friends is HIGHLY recommended.)
Flying is on a sand dune of perhaps 200' high with afternoon ocean wind. If the wind is straight in, with spring time force, it is epic! Flying is in front and as far as you can see to the right...no lift to the left typically.
Landings can be harsh if overall-landing-experience is low. Hitting the small downhill-ish patch of sand leaves sand in every nook and cranny of a plane...landing in the bushes can damage leading edges...have a big mouldie with giant flaps and experience and it'll softly set down at a walking pace.

I deleted old videos from Vimeo to make room for others...
Last edited by cityevader; Nov 06, 2018 at 03:18 PM.
Nov 05, 2018, 11:42 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Thread OP
Please get your campsites ASAP, they are going so fast! Only sites that are left are some campsites in 37-90. I am staying Fri and Sat night, and pack up by 12 noon Sunday and fly the rest of the day.

Here is the link to reserve https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=544
Nov 06, 2018, 01:32 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Been wanting to hit this one for a while now...grabbed a camp spot and, all goes well, should be able to make in in '19.

Andy
Nov 06, 2018, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diceman89
When: May 4-5th 2019
Where: Sunset State Beach in Watsonville, CA

Last year was a smash hit! Letís make this year even better! Bring every type of glider, from light wings to heavy hitters! We are going to do a pot luck this year for the Sat night BBQ. We had so many people last year, we need to give Chad a break. Hahahaha.

I am all up for someone sending me a design for a shirt this year. I am not the best graphic artist, I know, but I will make another design this year and we can take a vote.

Get your campsites now!!!! They are going fast. as of now the only ones left are campsites 37-90. Here is were to go to reserve. https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=544

Let the event excitement begin!!!

Jeremy
Jeremy,
Eli was asking about campout the other day. Thanks for notice. We are in!
Steffan
Nov 06, 2018, 07:10 PM
On the Go Fly List
Looking forward to it.

Adam
Nov 08, 2018, 10:56 AM
Sounds like fun. We have a space and will arrive Thursday for a couple extra days of flying.
Gary
Nov 08, 2018, 03:25 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Thread OP
Wahoo!
Nov 08, 2018, 05:39 PM
I always look forward to this event.
Just made my reservation. Planning to be there Friday afternoon.
Nov 08, 2018, 10:38 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Thread OP
Great to hear Rich!
Nov 09, 2018, 07:29 PM
Also have a reservation in hand, grabbed a spot in the lower loop.

oldscooler -

The slope is pretty nice little sand dune with vegetation looking out over the ocean. The lift starts off light and grows as the day progresses. There is a picnic table or two up there and plenty of space for planes and gear. It is a short walk from the paved road up to the gliderport, I don't think you will have any trouble since you were walking around the AMA Expo. There are some boardwalks they have set up to make things "easier" or to protect the dunes.. They are a bit odd, but work well enough.

The campground has 2 loops, an upper and a lower. The lower is right next to the gliderport, but sadly it is all booked up. The upper loop is probably further than you will want to walk. Since I scored a site in the lower loop, you are welcome to store things at our site. It is the same site we were in last year, and we had gliders and tents all over it.

Someone have pics from last year?
Nov 09, 2018, 08:39 PM
That thing almost hit me
Pics from last year start on about page 22 https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...th-2018/page22

Quick Reply