This thread is privately moderated by TinkleWid, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 04, 2018, 07:53 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

🐢 Caddx Turtle v2 Latest Firmware AMAZING 🐢 RunCam Split Mini 2 is DEAD

Caddx Turtle V2 is NOT ALWAYS SHIPPED WITH THE LATEST FIRMWARE 😱😱 The latest firmware is AMAZING 😱😱
(Note: How to repair a bricked Caddx Turtle with black screen)

How to repair a bricked Caddx Turtle from a firmware update
http://www.multirotorguide.com/guide...rmware-update/

Runcam KILLER 🐢 UPDATED Caddx Turtle v2 Latest Firmware AMAZING 🐢 RunCam Split Mini 2 FPV is DEAD (3 min 37 sec)

After breaking Go Pro lens and Caddx Turtle V1 camera I bought a Caddx Turtle v2 from Drone Junkie while waiting for my camera replacement. I installed it immediately and managed to get a flight in before sunset. I was soooo IMPRESSED 😱😱

I think this footage is better than any Runcam Split Mini 2 footage I have seen and almost as good as a Go Pro. The bitrate is fast enough so artefacts are not an issue. The colours are great and as long as the sharpness is turned off it's a winner.

Best firmware versions dated 7th September 2018

Cons:
The lens is still plastic but has been upgraded from v1. We shall have to see if it lasts longer than the first and not pick up any scratches. I am also getting annoyed about the random spots on the camera sensor which I may try to clean. My first camera picked up a small fragment of dust without me opening the lens case. I think the camera is not 'finished' properly so small fragments can come loose in time. I hope a blow of compressed air will clean the sensor?

Caddx Turtle Comparison Lens Test
Smooth 🐢 Caddx Turtle v2 Firmware Update (1080p 60FPS) on BR3 3" HGLRC XJB 145 Quad (2 min 9 sec)

Equipment Used:
Flying the Kwad Karl (Bando Racer 3) BR3 Frame
XJB 145 build and motors https://www.banggood.com/HGLRC-Flame...18277502201801
Caddx Turtle v2 with v2 firmware https://www.banggood.com/Caddx-Turtl...18277502201801
XM+ https://www.banggood.com/Frsky-XM-Mi...18277502201801
VRD2 Pro Goggle
Jumper T8SG
Gemfan 3052 https://www.banggood.com/2-Pairs-Gem...18277502201801

Caddx Turtle Settings: 1080p 60FPS
Wide FoV
7 saturation
0 Sharpness
5 Contrast
5 Brightness
EV -0.3
WDR on

Ensure you lower the sharpness to 0 unless using another lens
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2019, 03:10 AM
That guy from the Internet
Ok - but where to download that firmware?
Apr 01, 2019, 04:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer777
Ok - but where to download that firmware?
Have a look at the description on this video. The link for this firmware (September 2018) is under the subtitle, "September Firmware - works with Caddx Turtle v2 and Caddx Turtle v1 boards"

It is also worth looking at the other links in the description about how to install and the risks. T hope ere is also a link to how to recover from a bricked board. I hope this helps but let me know if you need to know anything else.
Jun 27, 2019, 09:54 PM
I was having DVR issues. It would only save in ~30 second segments. Caddx sent me new firmware.

Unfortunately the new firmware activated the cameras OSD which displayed on top of my betaflight OSD.

The cables supplied with the camera OSD button card do not fit anything! The documentation did not say what wires to connect to what solder pads.

I probed the pads with tweezers to see what pad does what but could not figure it out.

I finally found a picture online that seemed to show the green on OSD and the black on GND so I soldered the provided 2 pin cable for the button to those two pads.

The menu button cycles letters now but it keeps entering them automatically and I cannot stop it from scrolling. (I may have damaged it probing it?)

I think it's broken. Even without menu board attached it boots directly to the menu and starts entering values.

so... I tried to reflash the firmware hoping this would at least get me out of the OSD menu. but now there is no video display at all not even the flashing firmware message.

The documentation and cabling for the OSD button is crap, the DVR doesn't work.

Maybe I broke it probing the pads to see which wires to hook where but why in the hell do I need to solder tiny wires to plug in the OSD programming button?

I am very frustrated.
Last edited by dsergison; Jun 28, 2019 at 09:36 AM.
Jun 30, 2019, 09:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsergison
I was having DVR issues. It would only save in ~30 second segments. Caddx sent me new firmware.

Unfortunately the new firmware activated the cameras OSD which displayed on top of my betaflight OSD.

The cables supplied with the camera OSD button card do not fit anything! The documentation did not say what wires to connect to what solder pads.

I probed the pads with tweezers to see what pad does what but could not figure it out.

I finally found a picture online that seemed to show the green on OSD and the black on GND so I soldered the provided 2 pin cable for the button to those two pads.

The menu button cycles letters now but it keeps entering them automatically and I cannot stop it from scrolling. (I may have damaged it probing it?)

I think it's broken. Even without menu board attached it boots directly to the menu and starts entering values.

so... I tried to reflash the firmware hoping this would at least get me out of the OSD menu. but now there is no video display at all not even the flashing firmware message.

The documentation and cabling for the OSD button is crap, the DVR doesn't work.

Maybe I broke it probing the pads to see which wires to hook where but why in the hell do I need to solder tiny wires to plug in the OSD programming button?

I am very frustrated.
That sounds awful. My Caddx Turtle had 2 connectors spliced from the (red,green,yellowl black) wires soldered to the flight controller - one connector for the camera and one connector for the osd. To configure the turtle's osd I plug in the OSD programming board to the osd connector. Have a look at Albert Kim's video and it may give you a better answer......
Caddx Turtle V2 HD FPV Camera Review 📷👍 (9 min 16 sec)
Jul 19, 2019, 02:18 AM
Get there in the end!
My problem is the image in my goggles is blurred/out of focus.
Whats the best way to refocus,is it on far away or near objects?
Thanks
Jul 19, 2019, 06:31 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecozz
My problem is the image in my goggles is blurred/out of focus.
Whats the best way to refocus,is it on far away or near objects?
Thanks

It could be the focus but check the lens as there may be tiny scratches on the plastic version. I stopped using the plastic lens as they didn't last very long until there was a permeant glaze on all my videos. If not, it may just be out of focus. Try to focus on far away objects for the best video image.

Quick Reply