This thread is privately moderated by GRW3, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 04, 2018, 12:03 PM
Modeling Retread
Thread OP
Discussion

Flite Fest Texas

I went up to Flite Fest Texas with my buddy Ron Fritz on Friday. It was a two hour trip from his house ( about 20 mi east of San Antonio.). After such a wet fall in Texas, it great to see a sunny, CAVU day. There had been some rain Wednesday night so there was some mud but it was not a big deal. (If it had been a normal fall, it wouldn’t have been a deal at all.)

I flew my share but I spent more time just taking things in and absorbing the ambiance. What a great spirit, people of all ages having a great time. The combat segments are way more mesmerizing in person than in the videos. There was a streamer event that I would have participated in if I had been clever enough to read and understand the schedule. All the big crazy planes were just fun.

I did buy some Flite Test stuff. Their store was well laid out, even if the grass floor was a little squishy. Everyone working there was super nice. They had all their fast build kits laid out in separate bins, with all their power packs and batteries next to them. I bought a mini scout and a double A pack. Double because I have a balsa School Boy kit that needs the same size system. I also got a couple of t-shirts.

I did chat with Laine, of Laine’s Planes, and good naturedly prodded him about the glue caddy he’s supposed to make for me. He was a little apologetic but I told him I knew he had a busy show and rescue helicopter season so winter would be soon enough. He left most of the work to his wife as he was busy flying as often as possible. His flew a bunch of his high speed wings, from small to giant, but the most spectacular was his giant 8 ft long pink foam paper airplane. He had big power on the latter and it could fly fast or slow.

The only downside was the food selection. It was limited to a couple of vendors who had a relationship with the restaurant owner who owns the whole thing. The food was OK (guys, a sausage wrap is made with a tortilla not a piece of white bread) but not well organized. Ron and I realized earlier that day that we need an event checklist which, besides food, would include chairs, drinks and pop-up cover.

I sure hope they come back to Texas again. The Apache Pass site is really well suited to model flying. Lots of open space in every direction.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply