Nov 03, 2018, 02:22 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Thread OP
Build Log

1/7th Scale Globe Swift

Globe Swift

It's been a while since I did a thread here and finished up plans for a 1/7th scale Globe Swift earlier this Summer. As some may remember I designed a 1/7th scale LoPresti Fury a few years back but wanted to revisit the design for a Globe Swift since there are many out there and lots of color schemes to choose from.

My LoPresti Fury was designed around three views from LoPresti and knew the two airplanes were very similar...or so I thought. When I found a nice Globe Swift three view I found out the fuselage is shorter in the nose, and the landing gear track is narrower on the Swift. I redesigned the fuse from the trailing edge forward and also needed to redo the wing to change the gear track.

I had Manzano cut my parts and started on the fuselage today.

Globe Swift Specs:
1/7th scale
50” Span @ 390 Square Inches
Cobra 2820/10 (1170Kv) with Cobra 60A ESC
E-Flite 15-25 85 degree electric retracts.
I estimate 3 1/2 pounds to be close to the LoPresti Fury, Mooney Mite and Bellanca Cruisemaster.

I started making a template for the 1/16 balsa fuselage sides and cut out two sides. I then transferred the locations for the firewall and all formers. I glued the 1/4" sq. longeron and 1/4"and 1/2" triangle stock to the sides.

I am planning to use the scheme from the full sized Globe Swift.
Last edited by Dennis Sumner; Jan 07, 2019 at 02:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2018, 02:39 PM
The Globe Swift has to be one of the prettiest airplanes in its class. We had one in the hangar for a few months where I worked. Best wishes for your build. I'll be watching.
Nov 03, 2018, 03:29 PM
There are some who call me....
Looking forward to watching this one.

Tim
Nov 03, 2018, 06:21 PM
Nice choice, Sir ! I suspect that your build will be of interest to many, including me ! Best of luck, this oughta' be fun, Mike
Nov 04, 2018, 01:27 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Watching with interest Dennis. Subbed. Love the Swift!

Tony
Nov 05, 2018, 08:12 AM
I have been missing you, Denny. Glad to see you doing a favorite of mine.
Subbed!
Nov 05, 2018, 02:12 PM
Thread OP
Fuselage

I framed up the fuselage this morning.

Yesterday I glued F1 to the right fuse side then glued the wing saddle in place using 15/16 spacers from the 1/4 square longeron. This insure the wing saddle is at correct alignment. When that was dry I flipped the fuse over and glued F1 to the left fuse side and located and glued the wing saddle as well.

This morning I placed the fuse sides with F1 glued in place into my fuse jig. I used the top view from my plans as well as used my PLS2 Laser tool to insure a straight fuselage. I then glued F2 and the firewall in place. I used some scrap wood to shim the bottom of the fuselage up to get the 1/4 square longeron set to zero on my level, then using a square I set the firewall. I glued firewall in place and then set and glued F3 and F4. Using some scrap 1/16 balsa I used the F2B tool to set the angle for F2B.

Tomorrow I will continue on adding the remaining two pieces of 1/4 balsa to the formers. Then I can work to glue the turtle deck sheeting in place.
Last edited by Dennis Sumner; Nov 05, 2018 at 02:18 PM.
Nov 06, 2018, 01:38 AM
Watch out for that planet....
Hi Denny,

I always loved the look of the Globe Swift. Your off to a fine start. Subscribed!.

Shane.
Nov 06, 2018, 07:14 AM
Thread OP
Good to see a number of old friends and new following along...

This was my first build using a fuselage jig I built last Spring. I ordered the angles pieces from Slec in the UK. It worked pretty nice and I moved a couple pairs of angles to line up where my formers fell.

http://www.slecuk.com/balsa-wood/Bui...g-SL054_S.html
Last edited by Dennis Sumner; Nov 06, 2018 at 12:32 PM.
Nov 06, 2018, 09:46 AM
Lookin' good so far. I'll be keeping my eye on this project.
Nov 06, 2018, 10:15 AM
Thread OP
Fuselage and Cowl

I fitted and glued the 2 additional 1/4 square balsa sticks to support the turtle deck sheeting, then trimmed and glued the turtle deck.

The cowl is assembled on 1/8" music wire. I glued and weighted down the stack while the Titebond dries.

Welcome aboard Ken......
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Nov 06, 2018, 07:17 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Hi Denny,

Slick little airplane. It will be a great add to your collection.

Paul
Nov 06, 2018, 09:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorne
Hi Denny,

Slick little airplane. It will be a great add to your collection.

Paul
Thanks Paul.
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Nov 06, 2018, 09:46 PM
Manzano Laser Works
Looks good, Dennis!

-=tom=-
Nov 07, 2018, 04:03 AM
Definitely subbed! Loved the Fury build too

raipe

Quick Reply