Jan 14, 2005, 08:01 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
about that CG thing .... it's possible to increase the Pitch sensitivity , by moving the CG back ,with a resulting decrease in reflex, which causes less drag , which makes the plane go a little bit faster ,and makes the pilot pay attention .... all and all , makes for an exciting time , the reverse is also possible....
UPro.. 10A or better is a safe bet , even with those tiny props ..... and yes ,sometimes the correct prop makes all the difference....I haven't tried Jsky's prop yet , but have a few unnamed black nylon props that are kinda' slim, that I got off a few Foamie FF's ... they work well too ....there's always one prop that will work better than all others on a Particular plane.... gotta' experiment to find the right one .... FUN!!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2005, 05:31 PM

Horten flys....

Finally got the fly the Mini-Horten today.. cold and a little windy.... but flew just GREAT !!!! .....gpw your C/G was right on...even for my 36 inch version.
Looks very cool in the air...... Could maybe increase my throws a little bit..... I always start out conservative on those.... but it did great.... the GP 280 does fine... I would like a little more guts but cruised around great at even half throttle. I am going to even try it next week at a indoor fly.... practiced nice tight circles and did fine. Its a great, quick build fun flyer......Thanks a lot for the design...... BIG SMILE.......... STRINGFLY <>+++++
Jan 16, 2005, 12:52 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
String .... Glad to hear it !!!! I'll bet it looked really SUPER in the air ....ours has quite a bit of throw on high rates and really is a wild child , especially in the wind .... like this morning .....FUN!!!! EXCITING!!!!
Jan 16, 2005, 06:04 PM

Horten

It flew so nice may try a even smaller version with 3mm depron and A EDF 50 fan motor.... or may just mount the fan on top..... or.... a bigger version with 2 fans...... hummmm maybe 4 fans.... yea, thats the ticket............ he he .......
Last edited by STRINGFLY; Jan 16, 2005 at 06:07 PM. Reason: addition
Jan 17, 2005, 08:13 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
String ... an edf(or two +) sounds pretty cool ,and should be pretty easy to do in this case...sure would look wicked in the air (sound too)...Please keep us posted !!!!!
Jan 23, 2005, 06:02 PM

Ripley's.......

Glen.......Belive it or not I flew the Horten at our indoor fly this weekend. Just really brought it to show to a wing nut and everyone dared me to fly it.... so..... of course I did. Did great for a few laps..... Its not super fast with the 280... just sounds that way. Likes throttle in the turns to slow the drop some but did ok. Could only keep it a few laps... but was great fun. My freind caught it before I went into the crowd..... no damage.... but lots of fun and applause. So it is indoor capable.....and will slice right thru a hovering Shockflyer....he he he he....ACHTUNG !!!!!
STRINGFLY <>+++++
Jan 24, 2005, 07:10 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
String ... that sounds like great FUN !!!!! Beware Shockers ( they're pretty delicate anyway ...hehehehe) I guess with a little leading edge reinforcement , they'd be flying contact combat ....hahahahaa

Ya' know , just thinking about it .... the best part of the Horten is the little triangular fuselage ....that worked out great (even on the BIG Horten) ,not only as a convenient handgrip , but has protected the prop (and my hand) so well , I haven't broken even one yet (or my hand , no cuts)...I can land anywhere with the prop spinning and no problems... Gotta' use that again .....
Last edited by gpw; Jan 24, 2005 at 07:15 AM.
Jan 24, 2005, 10:20 PM
gpw
Any chance of seeing the 60" Horten.
I'm on my fourth flight of the mini, with the throws now tuned down. It's fast at half throttle and will fly well at less than 1/4 throttle on the J 250 and an unknown thin blade 4" black prop. More than 18 minutes each flight. Wonderful design.
Jan 25, 2005, 07:33 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
L,D&D.... the Big 60" Horten is quite a different animal from the mini ....FB Bob calls it a powered hang -glider... It is a single surface UC wing with sweep , dihedral and washout .... and powered by the feigao 12mm (ips size) motor with the B gears and a 10x4.7 prop....It is VERY slow and glides like a blimp ....It has no vertical fins excepting the small fuselage and that was done to support the landing gear and protect the prop ...(works)'The reason I haven't drawn a final set of plans is, it was more difficult to build than the mini( you need a Bendfoam jig ) , or a lot of others and there was not much interest expressed here.... ....I figured we Horten fans should build one plane at a time .....so we'll have something to look forward to ...besides I'm still flying the (your word here) outta' mine....
ps , it also has the reverse tapered elevons that I poo-poo'ed so much in poor jerbears' JSW column, but at these speeds , flutter is certainly no problem ....
Last edited by gpw; Jan 25, 2005 at 07:43 AM. Reason: so much to say , so much government restrictions...
Jan 27, 2005, 09:31 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
After much testing (crashing ) I can honestly say that I'm amazed at the durability of the Mini ..we've cartwheeled , flipped , hit the fence (more than once), almost flew into the canal and had a few mid airs , all resulting in almost no damage (except for a few prop strikes).. This design has tried to remove the stress points that normally plague a certain design , and in the process, has produced a very DURABLE plane ..... and I've yet to break a prop or hit my hand , due in part to the enclosed prop area and the small triangular fuselage....
Feb 01, 2005, 09:26 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Alas , I've had to cannibalize the Mini -Horten for its radio... (never enough radios) I really hated to do it , but faced with spending another croaker on a flight pack , I just had to do it .... I did however leave the motor attached for a quick return , should I get more cash or radios.... It is still in excellent shape having survived many less than perfect landing attempts or just plain reckless flying ....I'm totally happy with the design and it proved (to me ) that we can design small planes that are nearly indestrusctible , allthough I never got to perform the slam it in the car door test ....Next time we'll be making a bigger one with a geared motor , more thrust !!!!
Feb 01, 2005, 09:55 PM

Great flyer.

Thanks Glen for a super fun flyer..... I also had to pull my rec. and speed control out of mine for a Stubenfliege indoor flyer. Weather has just stunk lately so will fly some indoors at the next indoor meet. Keep me advised of all you cool inovative designs. Thanks............ STRINGFLY <>+++++
Feb 02, 2005, 09:20 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Gosh!!! String , even here the weather stinks ... you guys are lucky to have to fly indoors , we're still looking for a place...CU
Feb 05, 2005, 06:03 PM

Horten in the air pics..

Finally a great day for flying.... light winds, about 50 degrees. Had to put gear back in !!!!!!! I just love the way the horten flys and looks...Just rock steady.... I love to do nice 3ft passes...... at higher speeds it can get pitch sensitive but nothing bad at all.......Even tried a touch and go... but just a touch,,,,, no go..... "Need more power Scotty!!!" It has that out of this world look. VERY COOL !!!!!!! Some pics.......
STRINGFLY <>+++++
Feb 05, 2005, 07:57 PM
Can't build them all!

Mini Horton flight pics

Stringfly,

God I love the looks of yours. Now I'm going to need to change my building priority list again.

Bill "AKACully"

Quick Reply