Jan 10, 2005, 11:43 AM

ultra foam

Here's the link to the Proud Bird. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254269
I got the foam from Dick Rankin. Also www.troybuiltmodels.com has and sells it.... or did.
Last edited by STRINGFLY; Jan 10, 2005 at 11:45 AM. Reason: additon
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2005, 01:59 AM
resU deretsigeR
Im loosing it big time.. I started looking for the iron cross and by the time i found the thread I forgot what I was looking for...

here is a diffrent version I drew up
Jan 11, 2005, 07:24 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
String , thanks for the info .... cool colors!!!!
Paul...Thanks for the cross Dude!!!!... I think this one was used a little earlier than the Horten , but what the heck???? Will save and print out ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 11, 2005, 11:54 AM
resU deretsigeR
Ya it was WWI vintage i belive folker.. It was a a redisign of the earlyer insignia to try to make it a kinder looking design... Ratta tat tat Oh how do you like my new tail insignia

HAHAHA

So I guess that new movie "Meet the Folkers" is really just a remake of a WWI battle...
Last edited by PaulVi; Jan 11, 2005 at 11:58 AM.
Jan 11, 2005, 08:36 PM

Horten ready

Horten ready to fly..... with a 2 cell 1320 thunder poly.... 7.1 ounces..... now if I can just nail the C/G...... well let you know how it does.. may try tomorrow if the darn wind isn't 30 knots........ STRINGFLY <>+++++
Jan 11, 2005, 08:43 PM
resU deretsigeR
This plane is just plan pretty it is a shame to take it out and scuf it..

I assume you used red zagi tape on the edges...

StringFly Top Notch

Video if you can...

CG & MAC
http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm

http://www.coloradogliders.com/aircr...calculator.htm

http://www.palosrc.com/instructors/mac.htm

http://www.palosrc.com/instructors/cg.htm

the last one will help I think
Last edited by PaulVi; Jan 11, 2005 at 08:54 PM.
Jan 11, 2005, 09:03 PM

thanks..

Thanks for the C/G help... those look great.. will give them a shot..... yes some red Zagi tape on leading edge and keel, and some permaopaque markers on the other edges. Thanks for the plans gpw..... and the great cool ideas.....will advise on the maiden. Sorry no way to do any video but will try to get some inflight shots.
Last edited by STRINGFLY; Jan 11, 2005 at 09:08 PM. Reason: addition
Jan 11, 2005, 11:29 PM
I decided to do some CG Cals myself at the Palos Altos site. I wasn't sure what to put for the root chord so I measured it at the inboard edge of the elevons at 9.5". After getting some base numbers, 13%=5.35 - 15%=5.5 - 18%=5.72, I decided to play with the root chord to see what difference it made. I began increaseing by .5" intervals and saw the CG move aft .01" at a time. I threw in 14" to see what it said and the CG moved to 5.65". That's with a 17.75" 1/2 span. Maiden tomorrow. Now all I need is a battery. I have TP 860's (5C, 1.5oz), TP 1900 (6C, 2.8oz) and lightflight 1800 (kokam? 10C, 3oz) with a J250/4025 pulling 7.3amps @ WOT. I'm stuck with 2.8 to 3 oz of battery. Anyone want to trade a 2s1p that can handle 7.5-8A for a TP 860 or two?

link to aircraft manufacturere logos of the 40's:
http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/AC/misc/ac-logos/logos.htm

Knew I'd find it if I did some looking. Also found some nice drawings of some of his lifting body-wingless designs. Neat looking stuff.

Steve-S

(edit) I decided to actually decorate this one with Sharpies so here's a few photos. I might not maiden it for a few days as the pollen count is through the roof and my allergies are absolutely killing me.
Last edited by Steve-S63; Jan 12, 2005 at 05:37 AM.
Jan 12, 2005, 08:21 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
String ... a Beauty as usual ... !!!!!
Steve , nice to see sharpie camo ... cool !!!

I don't want to spoil the fun , but the cg is 6.25" from the nose , 9" from the tail ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 12, 2005, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Steve , nice to see sharpie camo ... cool !!!

I don't want to spoil the fun , but the cg is 6.25" from the nose , 9" from the tail ...
I didn't plan on decorating it when I began or I would've cleaned off the black ink. Oh well.

What wingspan is that CG location good for?
(edit)
nevermind. Just realized, at 6:52 Central, that I can measure my fuse and see if it's the same span or not. That's almost .75" aft of my 15% MAC point. Is yours very pitch sensitive or not need much up reflex?. That's 25.3% MAC. I have been lead to believe that most wings will be tail heavy with the CG aft of 20% MAC. I have that spot marked if it seems to be too nose heavy I'll try that and see how it feels.

Steve-S
Last edited by Steve-S63; Jan 12, 2005 at 07:58 PM.
Jan 12, 2005, 02:23 PM
Lowballs
Well I just maidened my mini-horton and I couldn't have asked for a better flight. I used a 2s 1100 polly quest with a 15 and ESC and a J250. The prop was suggested by someone in this thread and I don't remember what it is but I bought it from balsaproducts.com. I build it to be 30" wide and it is great, fits right in the car. Doesn't look as nice as Stringfly though.

Bret
Jan 13, 2005, 09:03 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Steve... yes the MH is a little pitch sensitive, but I like them hot and maneuverable ... you can always move the cg forward a "little" ... Not much reflex required ... (lower drag)
Bret ... That's GREAT news!!!! hard to compete with Stringfly ... he always makes BEAUTIES... some people are just gifted !!!....but ya' gotta' admit , Steves' camo version is cool too .... fun to decorate and you don't have to take it seriously... All for Fun!!!
Last edited by gpw; Jan 13, 2005 at 09:06 AM.
Jan 13, 2005, 01:56 PM
Use whatcha got!
What esc are you folks using with the J250's ? I've got about 40 of these little jewels sitting on my bench and am working on getting some free time to cut out a few plans. Just curious what kinda amps these pull w/ the 3x3 and 4x3 props.
Last edited by msmith; Jul 16, 2007 at 04:42 PM.
Jan 13, 2005, 04:33 PM
Mine pulls about 7.4A on a full battery, 2s1p, with a 4x2.5 prop per motor. I'm using a GWS 480 ESC at the moment

The sun came out but the wind is gusting from about 20 - 30 mph today. I went ahead and maidened anyway. Cranked on the juice and gave it a quick toss and she went about 10 feet out and just about stopped in mid air. Did I mention the winds? I couldn't make much headway and she was getting tossed around something fierce. Tons of fun trying to keep it steady. I had the low rates too low so I increased them noticeably. I was using the 15% MAC CG location and did have to add some up reflex but not much. I got about 3 flights on 2 batteries and the only real problem I had was trying to make headway into the wind after a wingover and the occasional 'otto' landing when I got too low and there was more wind over the wing than under it. I don't think I'm getting the full thrust out of this motor though so I'm going to do some tests here and see what I can discover. Is there a right and wrong way to attach the capacitor? On the 2nd battery I swapped over to the 4x3 prop and it flew ALOT better. It was really pulling into the wind ALOT better than with the 4x2.5. Odd how 1/2 and inch can make such a noticeable difference.

Steve-S
Last edited by Steve-S63; Jan 13, 2005 at 04:36 PM.
Jan 13, 2005, 04:59 PM
Trying to defy gravity...
I got side tracked on another airplane build and never got to the Mini-Horten, but it looks like a blast. I'm glad people like the prop I suggested.

That Hobby Electronics 4X3 prop has got a nice twist to it. It really bites into the air. I find it's a good combination of thrust and pitch speed. No prop adapter needed and the plastic is virtually unbreakable.

I've got a little Bluecor P38 foamie with twin J250's spinning this prop. I actually fly it as a "wind plane".

Jimsky

Quick Reply