Unable to up load the Horten logo/crossed
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2005, 07:44 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
LD&D... keep trying , you'll get it...
Char ... adjustment V so I can use plain wire with z bend (20 cents) instead of manufactured pushrod kits with "adjusters"...4 bucks ...sorry I'm "thrifty"
Gbond , thanks for the explanation ...all clear , less power , more torque ... works for me since I'm using the 5A GWS esc ... and didn't want to "smoke" it....
String ... cool planes Dude ... Didja' make em'??? I was waiting on some foam from scott , but never heard from him again ... did the earth swallow him UP ,or did he just swallow our plans , dreams and good faith???Don't be afraid of the SR , you can handle it ..... noobs would be UP s/creek though ..
ACK ... THIS IS NOT A TRAINER!!!!!!!!! it is a hot , responsive , little mellonfarmer...
Fflyr... thanks for the decorations.....
eco ...it's a screamer!!!
Last edited by gpw; Jan 06, 2005 at 07:52 AM.
Jan 06, 2005, 12:22 PM
Ack
Ack
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
ACK ... THIS IS NOT A TRAINER!!!!!!!!! it is a hot , responsive, little mellonfarmer...
Easy, there GPW. I get your point. Perhaps I can let my gasser friend maiden it thus causing him to get back into the hobby.

I know that I'll "auger in" my share of times. But with the Mini Horten, I won't be too depressed by the occasion. The design and construction makes it easy to rebuild and/or replace in a repeatable fashion. I know that I would freak if I bought a Stryker as my first plane only to discover by crashing it that I spent a lot of money on a plane way beyond my skills to fly!

Until I get some more stick time on something else, I promise not to mellonfarm with my Horten.

Ack
Jan 06, 2005, 01:15 PM
Gene Bond- thanks again for the flux ring lesson, fully understood and for all the other things that I've learned here on this wonderful site!
Jan 06, 2005, 09:30 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Ack , it's a tough little bird in Blucor , I think pink is more brittle ....you can reinforce the endangered edges with some blue masking tape ... works well for me (I always crash , even after so many years ), tough stuff for being paper ...just make several for spares (and your pal , he'll want to put a gas engine on it ...hahahaha) and you'll get it in time , saves time after a serious crash too .... You have a great never say die attitude and I know you'll succeed
....Best of Luck !!!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 08, 2005, 05:45 PM

Scott

Have not heard from Scott in months and months..... Lots of talk.....no action. Well,,, whatever...Have my England connection for Depron so Im good. I do have some red Ultrafoam... kinda soft stuff but I sure like your Horten.... will cut one out..... should look cool in bright red with black fins and black Iron crosses......... can'ts seem to print the plans right at home, crappy computer....... what is the span and length?
Jan 08, 2005, 06:03 PM
Flying motor mount master
Btw, whats the AUW with the J250DD??

curious,
fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Ack , it's a tough little bird in Blucor , I think pink is more brittle ....you can reinforce the endangered edges with some blue masking tape ... works well for me (I always crash , even after so many years ), tough stuff for being paper ...just make several for spares (and your pal , he'll want to put a gas engine on it ...hahahaha) and you'll get it in time , saves time after a serious crash too .... You have a great never say die attitude and I know you'll succeed
....Best of Luck !!!!
Jan 08, 2005, 06:48 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Questions , questions.....
String ... seeing all the beauties (visually) you've created in the past , it would be an honor to have you build the Mini Horten .... Please post some pictures so we all can enjoy .... and drool ....ws 39" fuse 15.5"
flyboy ....auw.. with 1200 lipos (2) 6.6 oz....pretty light eh?
Jan 08, 2005, 10:55 PM

cut out

Well started to cut out........out of ultrafoam. Mine came out a little less span... 36 inches, 16 inch length.. Well..... hopefully will work.... Have a 280 with a GWS 5 x 3, will give that a whirl. Should be a rocket for grandma to fly.... he he.........STRINGFLY <>+++++
Jan 09, 2005, 11:43 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Ooh!!! Nice Red Foam!!!!
Jan 09, 2005, 08:37 PM

almost..

Almost done.. all parts cut and assembled........just have to add gear...... I like.... Its not a Crimson King... but still very cool looking. Thanks for the design Glen. Some pics... STRINGFLY <>+++++
Jan 09, 2005, 09:37 PM
Did you paint this foam or is it naturally red? Where do you get ultrafoam?
Jan 09, 2005, 10:50 PM
resU deretsigeR
http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/AC/airc.../info/info.htm

This is a very good write up on a paper horten but does give some more ideas to this plane. GPW Hope it gives you an idea or two for a built up twin j250 fan motor horten Grin Hint Hint..
Jan 10, 2005, 10:20 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
String ... It's just too (your word here ) ing COOL!!!!! I'm gonna' have to beg for some red foam , or at least tell me where to get it ... too cool ... It's a beauty!!!!!!!!! ...again... we expected no less..hahahahaha

Paul ... with so much information available to you , you should be able to design your own Horten to your wishes... I'll be around to help just in case...
Jan 10, 2005, 11:21 AM

Red ultra foam

The ultrafoam comes in (as far as I know) 5 colors...red, blue, yellow and black,and white. Its about 6mm thickness. Has a color film bonded to the interior foam. The foam is much softer than depron and any kind of span does need reinforcement....carbon, bambo, etc. Does not bend well though.... you get unsightly creases in the color layer. I got it from the gentleman who offers the flaming Proud Bird kit. Name escapes me at the moment. You can do a proud bird search.(when the search is working... which it is not right now!). Comes in like 4 X 8 ft sheets! I had them cut in half for shipping. Different to work with but very pure colors..... I just wish it was a little stronger. gpw drop me a pm ,, will fix you up..... SEE NEXT POST FOR ULTRAFOAM , WHERE TO GET.......
Last edited by STRINGFLY; Jan 10, 2005 at 12:44 PM. Reason: ADDITION

Quick Reply