Jan 03, 2005, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman
Cool little plane! Is the J250 the same as the DCM-189 and what part of the motor is the flux ring?
Thanks for another project.
Andy
Yes, for the most part the J250 refers to the DCM-189. Awhile ago there were 2 or so other similar types floating around, that looked the same but had dif winds. The DCM-189[J250] is the most widely used. The flux ring is the little metal jacket that fits around the outside of the motor.

Sam
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2005, 07:32 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
LD&D.... we could surely use those .pdfs for decoration ....
mini... Flux ring helps reduce the current a little bit ...Gbond's got all the info on Flux rings and how they work ....and info on other j250's ....if ya got em'
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 04, 2005, 11:37 AM
Has anybody printed this plane yet, I just wondering what is the Wingspan supposed to be. Mine came up with 15 1/2" and scale is half inch short. I used windows paint program to print it. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to print plan for this plane? Thanks.
Jan 04, 2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the info, but it raises more questions. If the flux ring reduces the current, doesn't that mean less power?
GPW- do you know where all that info is?
I purchased a handfull of the little fellas and am using one in a GWS box on a 24" DR1, flys real good. No flux ring on it.
Jan 05, 2005, 10:12 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
Mini ...check with Genebond ... he's our motor GURU....
Smoke ... I just click on the individual .jpeg and print them directly ....15.5" for half a wing? ... not too bad
Can you adjust your printer .... I don't think that Size matters all that much (one of the few times ), a little bigger would be slower , smaller would be faster .... good luck Dude !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 05, 2005, 11:39 AM
gpw, Cool plane. Quick newbie question about your servo setup. What is the purpose of the elbow (or V) in the middle of the length of each wire push-rod? What gauge wire do you use?

Also I don't have a J250, but a feigao 5300 12mm coming in the mail this week. That with a 340kokam 2s might be ok?

Charlye
Jan 05, 2005, 03:25 PM
Trapped in California
Quote:
Where did you get the Iron Cross decals?
jimsky, I drew this and usually hand paint it after drawing around it as a template, but you could also print it onto adhesive-backed paper.
Jan 05, 2005, 09:38 PM
Ack
Ack

Plan issues discussed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Ack... the wing is one piece of foam , flat with no dihedral ... it butt glues to the fuse(keel) ... I only show half the wing on the plan to save space...I usually make a half template as shown ... draw one half , flip it over and draw the other half... cut it out as one piece...OK!!!

DOH!

Well, I have two wing templates, now...

Somebody was asking about printing the drawings out in Paint... I did that with my set and it came out okay. You CAN adjust the scale by changing the sizing percentage field if you don't think it came out close enough to what you were expecting size-wise. I never really compared the wingspan to the value quoted at the top of the thread...

The fix, if one seeks perfection, is to divide the plan wingspan by the print-out wingspan (or is it the other way around?) and multiply the result by 100. If the printout is smaller, you should get a number under 100 percent. To create a 100 percent printout, simply add the difference between 100 percent and the smaller percent value to 100 percent, reset the percent size field and reprint. (whew!)

Thus, if your first printout came out at 90 percent, reprint at 110 percent. Paint may not respond precisely to this method, so "your mileage may vary".

here is what my Horton looks like so far:

I used Testor's 1628 Gloss Orange on the Vertical Stabilizers to help with orientation identification during flight.

Ack
Last edited by Ack; Jan 05, 2005 at 09:41 PM. Reason: cnat typ gud
Jan 05, 2005, 10:10 PM
No time to fly
Hey Ack, when are you going to maiden that thing, with all this ice about town . Are you going to run lipo's on it? I just got my first flying wing up, a Stealth Sport, been flying it around my nieghborhood, although it is a little fast on a J-250 dd. Can't wait to here your results. BTW why aren't you using blue foam from lowes, down at 40 and 291.
Brian
Jan 05, 2005, 10:22 PM
Crash Master
mini: The flux ring effectively increases the magnet strength, thus reduces the Kv, or RPM/Volt. In turn, it increases the Kt or inlb (torque)/amp. What this means is the motor will turn slower, free running, but may not slow down as much under heavy load conditions... clear, huh? Anyway, it'll save about 1/2 an Amp when running DD with a 3x3 prop, and lose a little rpm. Should be more efficient, using the 'free power' of the stronger magnet... In a gearbox, the flux ring won't fit, so no big deal...

If it works well with the flux ring, it'll be fast without, but pull more current... OK?
Jan 05, 2005, 10:25 PM

looks cool..

gpw.... looks very nice...I love flying wings.... have put the SR-71 up for now....kinda wondering about power and its flying orientation..... waiting on Hippos Pelican.... but will print out the horton,,, looks very fun.. thanks again...... If you need any 3mm depron or some colored ultra foam let me know. STRINGFLY <>+++++ a pic of some of my flying wings........top one is 13 ft span............
Jan 05, 2005, 10:31 PM

thanks.

Thanks Gene Bond.... kinda always wondered how those worked.. used some years ago on my 1/10 off road buggys.....had more torque for sure.
Jan 05, 2005, 10:50 PM
Ack
Ack
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrMiHi08
Hey Ack, when are you going to maiden that thing, with all this ice about town . Are you going to run lipo's on it? I just got my first flying wing up, a Stealth Sport, been flying it around my nieghborhood, although it is a little fast on a J-250 dd. Can't wait to here your results. BTW why aren't you using blue foam from lowes, down at 40 and 291.
Brian
Brian!

I am using a 2s 850 mAh Thunder LiPo on the Horten. I hope to maiden it this weekend maybe Friday at the Sugar Creek indoor meet (see recent PM on your IN box...) I hope this proves to be a good trainer... I have a lot of spare airframe parts hiding in several pink fanfold panels and a handful of 250s.

It's been danged windy -- too much for the 7x7 Air Force Flier sitting in my living room begging to maiden. Those two EDF 55s mounted on the cut-off engine nacelles on the new airframe are begging for a little flight action! It's the only plane that I have that is flight-ready...

I have a big wad of Pink that I have to go through before I buy some Blue at Lowes. Maybe I can slip some in while buying stuff for the bathroom I am redoing...

Ack
Jan 05, 2005, 10:55 PM
Spring time, planes bloom
I just got my bipe finished and now I have something else tu build. I was looking for something like this for a CD rom motor that I have around here and screaming to fly..
Jan 05, 2005, 11:25 PM

Horten logo and cross

gpw
Iron cross and Horten logo in jpeg. Printed at 80% on Avery™ label sheets.

Quick Reply