Nov 04, 2018, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merch
Go buy and fly it if you want to.........don't and if you want something else that's fine, everyone has there own needs just go and have fun!!!
Well said, Merch. Well said indeed .
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2018, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporal Flux
I realize that I am beginning to sound like an Emax fanboy and, I am to a point. I have 3 of their quads and I love each of them. But, that doesn't mean that I am ignorant to the things that they do wrong (the ESC board being too close to the carbon frame on the original Babyhawk-R quads for instance). But, it seems to me that they at least try and put a lot of effort into making each and every one of their quads as good as they can. And that is how you build a loyal market base but, you are never going to please everyone. Granted, Happymodel and BetaFPV are getting there too.

Compare that to the likes of Eachine who just throw so many products at the wall that at least some of them have to stick.
No, you didn't sound like a Emax fanboy. We were just having a healthy discussion on the topic.
I think you have some good points, but honestly, I don't think the idea of 1-2s came to emax until they saw the release of the mobula7. They probably didn't want to go back to retrofit it since they were more focused on the beginner market like you said...or maybe they really don't care (who knows?)...
I personally generally only buy frames and parts anyway to build my own like Nigel (unless I don't feel like I can build it better). That said, I can't wait till they release the frame/motors/props. I'll probably build my own.
Nov 04, 2018, 06:01 PM
Yep, that is the great thing about this hobby, there are plenty of choices, both to buy and to build, with each and every quad a different experience. Unfortunately, that means that my wallet is always open, LOL.
Nov 04, 2018, 06:33 PM
The EMAX design team is really good. They've had some minor boners, but I'm esp. impressed how they are able to match the power train up. Both the Hawk 5 and Babyhawk 3" just fly great without much tweeking.

They also manage to deliver at a reasonable price point, and able to make spares readily available. I can get product and parts somewhat locally and quickly.

I ordered one, and if its near as good as their previous bnf quads, it'll be great....
Nov 04, 2018, 07:37 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
-If i were a quad company, id totally release a 1s right before xmas, then drop a 2s version just after the first of the year.

I love how its a stretched x, and the frame looks like a good strength/weight ratio. I also like how the "ducts" are more of a low profile guard, then tall fluted rings. seems like less potential for whoop washouts?
Nov 04, 2018, 08:33 PM
Registered Fanatic
Does anyone know is the camera angle adjustable on this thing? And, would it fly like crap with a non-HV 450mah? I have a bunch of non-HV 1s
Nov 04, 2018, 08:51 PM
monkeymagic
Looks like a great little quad and I'm keep to try. I think for most of the population this makes great sense as an indoor quad but adds (it would seem) durability and reliabiliy over current 1s brushless quads.

It won't be as fast as a 2s whoop but 2s whoops are in a weird place. The mobula 7 is awesome but I feel it would be better served on a regular non-ducted frame like a Mira84 or that one Dalton from lil-deuce has prototyped. Then the ducts wont be holding it back. The only place I see a 2s ducted quad as particularly useful is a large indoor space or outdoors where lots of people - and no wind- are present.

Bottom line for me is that brushless whoops seem a bit fragile and fragmented in general and emax looks like it may have created a more congruent offering with broader appeal. I think others will certainly be faster an lighter but this may well offer a more consistent user experience.
Nov 04, 2018, 08:53 PM
2nd in command
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicMan
Does anyone know is the camera angle adjustable on this thing? And, would it fly like crap with a non-HV 450mah? I have a bunch of non-HV 1s
Not adjustable naively. We would have to mod it to change the camera angle.
Nov 04, 2018, 09:11 PM
I don't see tinyhawk frame is more durable than other frames like Boldcalsh-B06 or Beta75-pro.
Because many reviewers who already have tinyhawk seem to experience crack on the frame.
But not sure so far
Nov 04, 2018, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosi
I don't see tinyhawk frame is more durable than other frames like Boldcalsh-B06 or Beta75-pro.
Because many reviewers who already have tinyhawk seem to experience crack on the frame.
But not sure so far
All frames will break,imo it's luck.........how you crash and where it hits on the frame.......speed too
Nov 04, 2018, 11:24 PM
The mechanical design overall is pretty good.

The things they screwed up (and emax ALWAYS screws all this up) are things like mounting and attachment points for things like antennas.

They also should have increased the fillets around the struts. It won't significantly increase weight, and it's not a difficult operation to do, they were just too dumb to do it.

The battery tray is a removable segment. Changing battery formats is difficult with whoops because the mounts are baked into the frame. Here, if you want to change battery formats, you can just change out the tray as far as I can tell.

The other interesting thing is the hollow, segmented nature of the design.

You could conceivably take the lightest urethane foam (not sure, but I think it's like 1lb /sq ft) and very carefully use a syringe to set it in the outer segments and fill them up. The weight increase would also probably be negligible, but the strength would be immensely increased.

Unfortunately, you're trapped in 1s land. Most of you guys don't know what you're talking about with regards to the 2s whoops and trying to be myopic about strictly indoor performance.
Nov 05, 2018, 12:35 AM
Here's Albert Kim's demo of the Mobula7 running 1s 450. I think it's showing lesser performance than TinyHawk
@9:00
Mobula7 Miscellaneous Testing 🏁 (23 min 1 sec)
Nov 05, 2018, 03:19 AM
Yeah the mob7 defo looks underpowered on 450mah 1s and I wouldn't even bother flying it like that even though I have plenty of those batts.

Regarding frame strengths in brushless whoops i never broke any of mine but I have broken the betafpv camera and betafpv canopy quite easily, the boldclash b06 survived everything I put it through ...
The mob7 frame looks more fragile which is a shame because it looks a great flyer and a great price.

What emax has done here( hopefully) is make the whole brushless whoop just a bit more mainstream in that it should actually last quite well, bearings in motors and tough props and overall a resilient frame means that it should give a good experience and not just stop working after a few crashes ...
It actually reminds me more of the boldclash b06 pro which I'm built but it never made it to prouction for some reason, that one flew very well for a 1s and it never broke ..
Very flyable indoors and good outside on a calm day
I think if boldclash had made this one like they had said they would they may have cornered the market for 1s a year ago..
Boldclash b06 FC with osd and upgraded 20000kv motors fpv flight with bonus rolls and crashing end. (5 min 12 sec)

Boldclash b06 pro garden flight brushless whoop (2 min 51 sec)
Latest blog entry: Eachine twig 115
Nov 05, 2018, 03:23 AM
What do the motor wires look like where they connect to the motors on this?
There have been quite a few complaints about the betafpv 65x wires coming off at the motor and it being virtually impossible to fix so means a new motor which is not good.
Latest blog entry: Eachine twig 115
Nov 05, 2018, 03:58 AM
PhatPastor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporal Flux
I get what you are saying, the 2S whoops seem to be the trend right now. But, trends fade. They are playing the more lucrative long game rather than blowing their load all at once, so-to-speak.

To explain my business sense argument a bit further, Emax can potentially (nothing is guaranteed) get the existing 1S market - simply by doing it better than everyone else (if that is indeed the case). On top of that, if they price the upcoming RTF package attractively, they can (again) potentially get a lot more people into the hobby. Emax, more than a lot of other companies are ideally placed to appeal to the wider consumer, not just to the (let's face it) niche market that our hobby actually is. And, if they succeed, that can only be good for the hobby.

If both those sets of people (the existing 1S market and the beginners) have a good experience with the Tinyhawk, they are all much more likely to go back to Emax when they do release the 2S version. Then they have a much more healthy, loyal market base. Of, course this is all dependent on the Tinyhawk actually being as good as it seems to be.

That is how I see it anyway. I could, of course, be wrong (it does happen... occasionally ).

I agree! I started with tiny whoops (Jessie P version) and soon got the OG white Babyhawk. Wow did everything change!!! That thing is almost a tank! Itís still flying today. My Brushless wth BHR 2Ē upgraded to 2Ē love it. I e got the hawk 5 and will get the Tiny hawk for Emax USA because there stuff just works!

So make this whoop as a entry lvl BL whoop RTF soon I hear is a good idea... because of Emaxís quality I keep coming back.
I suppose many of you fill the same thatís why your on this thread.

2s version with a clear canopy with selectable LEDs should come later for a hole new indoor race quad! If enough of us ask they may just do it!

Quick Reply