Nov 04, 2018, 12:22 AM
I'm interested in seeing competition with Mobula7 on 1s, so that's kinda the reverse.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2018, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFish
I'm interested in seeing competition with Mobula7 on 1s, so that's kinda the reverse.
If you are only running 1S on the Mobula7, then it becomes a fair comparison.
Nov 04, 2018, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexyp
I'm perplexed as to why Emax went with a 1s board when they could've gone with a 1-2s board instead. This way, they would have an edge over all the other competitors since their frame seems to have the best design/durability yet. The motors seem very close to the mobula7, so it should be able to handle 2s for sure.
Yes it would not add much weight or cost to make it 1 and 2s compatible as we've seen with the mobula7.
Would appeal to more people right away and make it more versatile.
I suspect emax will make it possible to upgrade to that later with a new board perhaps?

Being a stretched frame it can't take the normal whoop size FC so mobula7 FC couldn't be used?
Nov 04, 2018, 06:13 AM
Quote:
I'm perplexed as to why Emax went with a 1s board when they could've gone with a 1-2s board instead. This way, they would have an edge over all the other competitors since their frame seems to have the best design/durability yet. The motors seem very close to the mobula7, so it should be able to handle 2s for sure.
Same here... I have some places close to my office where a standard 2.5inch is too fast and too dangerous to fly and a 1s whoop will be too boring.... but a mobula 7 will be nice in 2s

But having a whoop 2s compatible will reduce the performances in 1s... And I think that Emax wants to outperform the 1s category
Last edited by Cid156; Nov 04, 2018 at 06:56 AM.
Nov 04, 2018, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
Yes it would not add much weight or cost to make it 1 and 2s compatible as we've seen with the mobula7.
Would appeal to more people right away and make it more versatile.
I suspect emax will make it possible to upgrade to that later with a new board perhaps?

Being a stretched frame it can't take the normal whoop size FC so mobula7 FC couldn't be used?
Yeah, but they designed a new ESC/FC just for the tiny hawk. They could've easily made it 2s compatible as well.
Nov 04, 2018, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid156
Same here... I have some places close to my office where a standard 2.5inch is too fast and too dangerous to fly and a 1s whoop will be too boring.... but a mobula 7 will be nice in 2s

But having a whoop 2s compatible will reduce the performances in 1s... And I think that Emax wants to outperform the 1s category
If performance was really an issue, then they could've included a different set of props for people who want max 1s performance. And looking at how they set their rates, I don't think performance was a big factor for this release. My guess was that they wanted to get it out the door asap.
Nov 04, 2018, 08:28 AM
How did they 'just get it out the door' when it is coming out long after everyone else produced their first brushless 1S whoop? I guarantee you that this was in development long before the Beta75X and Mobula7 were even announced and, it certainly wasn't a reaction to those quads. They are going after the 1S market and FPV beginners. They are not going after the 2S market (right now).

What business sense would it make to have their first brushless whoop be 1-2S when they can sell the 1S versions first, then bring out a 2S version later and make more money? Sure, the Mobula7 can do 1-2S but, Happymodel already have their 1S whoops. And, BetaFPV already have their 1S whoops.

I get that some people (a fair amount of people but, not everyone) want a 2S whoop but, this isn't it. Get over it. Not every quad has to cater for everyone.

Personally, I will be getting both the Mobula7 and the Tinyhawk (eventually). I get that a lot of people won't want to buy both but, still want to be able to go 2S. In that case, to me, the choice right now is simple - go for the Mobula7 or Beta75X. Or, wait for the 2S version of the Tinyhawk (assuming that they make one).
Last edited by Temporal Flux; Nov 04, 2018 at 09:09 AM.
Nov 04, 2018, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporal Flux
How did they 'just get it out the door' when it is coming out long after everyone else produced their first brushless 1S whoop? I guarantee you that this was in development long before the Beta75X and Mobula7 were even announced and, it certainly wasn't a reaction to those quads. They are going after the 1S market and FPV beginners. They are not going after the 2S market (right now).

What business sense would it make to have their first brushless whoop be 1-2S when they can sell the 1S versions first, then bring out a 2S version later and make more money? Sure, the Mobula7 can do 1-2S but, Happymodel already have their 1S whoops. And, BetaFPV already have their 1S whoops.

I get that some people (a fair amount of people but, not everyone) want a 2S whoop but, this isn't it. Get over it. Not every quad has to cater for everyone.

Personally, I will be getting both the Mobula7 and the Tinyhawk (eventually). I get that a lot of people won't want to buy both but, still want to be able to go 2S. In that case, to me, the choice right now is simple - go for the Mobula7 or Beta75X. Or, wait for the 2S version of the Tinyhawk (assuming that they make one).
Or build something 2s and learn something in the process.
I wonder how much space there is in the frame of the tiny hawk, maybe a boldclash b03 FC and a small 4in1 2s ESC might fit?
Silverware brushless whoops are pretty good and can be built cheap.
2s brushless silverwhoop first flight loose tune but lots of power!! (3 min 19 sec)

Wonder what camera would fit and if they will supply the frame...?
Nov 04, 2018, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
Or build something 2s and learn something in the process.
I wonder how much space there is in the frame of the tiny hawk, maybe a boldclash b03 FC and a small 4in1 2s ESC might fit?
Silverware brushless whoops are pretty good and can be built cheap.
https://youtu.be/tzPSW-ERpsQ

Wonder what camera would fit and if they will supply the frame...?
Indeed, building is always an option and, it is a lot simpler than it used to be. You might struggle to get all the parts at a competitive price though.

That thing looks good.

From what I have seen of the Tinyhawk, the board is a completely different size and shape. So, even if you could get another board in there, you might have trouble mounting it.

I am sure Emax will make all the parts available soon.
Nov 04, 2018, 11:03 AM
Quote:
... their frame seems to have the best design/durability yet...
It looks like applying some type of reinforcing glue on the front skinny strut joins would be a good idea. Wonder why they didn't add something minimal to protect the camera more?
Nov 04, 2018, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFish
It looks like applying some type of reinforcing glue on the front skinny strut joins would be a good idea. Wonder why they didn't add something minimal to protect the camera more?
Yes, looks like a slight design improvement could be made here, just rounding off the point where each strut joins the frame would probably be enough to stop them breaking ...
Camera lens does seem very exposed , I've found my cameras handle crashes better on my own builds where I just mount them with rubber bands and double sided foam tape than on the bought ones where the camera is mounted solidly , maybe this is a similar idea as the camera seems to move out of its mount easily?
Nov 04, 2018, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporal Flux

You make some interesting points, but I don't completely agree with the business sense argument. They *may* have the best 1s bl whoop right now, but for not much more investment, they could also corner the entire 1-2s bl whoop market as well. I would say that is a pretty sizable market given how popular the beta75x is. Sure, they could make another 2s later, but why not do it now? I just don't agree with the concept that 2 separate products at 2 different times is a better business decision than a single product right now that can do everything. Seems like wasted time and opportunity to build your brand.
Nov 04, 2018, 03:14 PM
Quote:
You make some interesting points, but I don't completely agree with the business sense argument. They *may* have the best 1s bl whoop right now, but for not much more investment, they could also corner the entire 1-2s bl whoop market as well. I would say that is a pretty sizable market given how popular the beta75x is. Sure, they could make another 2s later, but why not do it now? I just don't agree with the concept that 2 separate products at 2 different times is a better business decision than a single product right now that can do everything. Seems like wasted time and opportunity to build your brand.
I get what you are saying, the 2S whoops seem to be the trend right now. But, trends fade. They are playing the more lucrative long game rather than blowing their load all at once, so-to-speak.

To explain my business sense argument a bit further, Emax can potentially (nothing is guaranteed) get the existing 1S market - simply by doing it better than everyone else (if that is indeed the case). On top of that, if they price the upcoming RTF package attractively, they can (again) potentially get a lot more people into the hobby. Emax, more than a lot of other companies are ideally placed to appeal to the wider consumer, not just to the (let's face it) niche market that our hobby actually is. And, if they succeed, that can only be good for the hobby.

If both those sets of people (the existing 1S market and the beginners) have a good experience with the Tinyhawk, they are all much more likely to go back to Emax when they do release the 2S version. Then they have a much more healthy, loyal market base. Of, course this is all dependent on the Tinyhawk actually being as good as it seems to be.

That is how I see it anyway. I could, of course, be wrong (it does happen... occasionally ).
Last edited by Temporal Flux; Nov 04, 2018 at 03:33 PM.
Nov 04, 2018, 03:29 PM
Go buy and fly it if you want to.........don't and if you want something else that's fine, everyone has there own needs just go and have fun!!!
Nov 04, 2018, 03:33 PM
I realize that I am beginning to sound like an Emax fanboy and, I am to a point. I have 3 of their quads and I love each of them. But, that doesn't mean that I am ignorant to the things that they do wrong (the ESC board being too close to the carbon frame on the original Babyhawk-R quads for instance). But, it seems to me that they at least try and put a lot of effort into making each and every one of their quads as good as they can. And that is how you build a loyal market base but, you are never going to please everyone. Granted, Happymodel and BetaFPV are getting there too.

Compare that to the likes of Eachine who just throw so many products at the wall that at least some of them have to stick.
Last edited by Temporal Flux; Nov 04, 2018 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply