Mar 25, 2021, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmacky
Anyone know if these work with the last image for EZ Wifi?
Yes, it works.
Some users reported early deads on power amplifier
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2021, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Anyone know if these work with the last image for EZ Wifi?
Latest image of EZ-Wifi 2021 is here,
https://disk.yandex.com/d/LzPz9aB3EE05TA
Mar 25, 2021, 06:44 PM
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that image.
Mar 28, 2021, 11:05 AM
Picked up an " ALPHA AWU036AC " USB adapter,
Although it is a low power and not the best for Tx it is as good as using dual AC-56
on the Rx side.
Not too expensive.
Apr 22, 2021, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uksteve
Just dont use circular polarised antennas with them, CP has a 3db loss compared to linear, they are massively inefficient!!

I check online daily to see if any other sellers have the taobao back in stock but havent seen any other than the one trying to charge stupid money for weeks now , more than double than i paid for mine

Here is a link to the 2.4ghz modules i have, they are rated @ 500mw but have tested a sizeable amount above that:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...30eb4c4d33Y6iQ

Here is one of the power tests someone did on them, the first tests 800mw and the second 1000mw and @ 2.4ghz thats gonna offer fairly decent range
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmrU5K7Jgw8

In the youtube comments the guy reports that these units are burning up on him? Can anyone confirm these are reliable? They seems like an excellent inexpensive, high powered solution for 2.4G setups?
May 22, 2021, 06:55 PM
Hot glue will fix anything!
Quote:
In the youtube comments the guy reports that these units are burning up on him? Can anyone confirm these are reliable? They seems like an excellent inexpensive, high powered solution for 2.4G setups?
I have yet to fly on mine but with the power level set to 51 in the config and the adapter mounted on the side of the fuse in a 3d printed mount, the modules have stayed at a reasonable temp with the plane outside where there is a light 12c breeze, the airflow when airborne will keep them plenty cool enough.

With the power set to 54 and indoors, I have little doubt that it would have overheated as it got very hot, they may be fine at 54 when airborne but def not when testing on the ground.

I hope to have the plane on its test flight soon and hoping they are as good as expect, i have 4 of them for air side units and a further two in my ground station plus another two low power modules in my ground station for quadversity

I have quadversity for 5.8 as well but getting high power 5.8 modules is stupid hard at the moment and I have just one taobao card in a 450 quad and the only seller who has them is asking crazy money!
May 22, 2021, 06:57 PM
Has anyone come across any round csi-2 cables?
The ribbon cable really does not lend itself to a pan tilt setup and as much as I've searched I can't find anything but ribbon cables
May 22, 2021, 09:30 PM
Fly Hard or Fly Home!!!
Quote:
Has anyone come across any round csi-2 cables?
The ribbon cable really does not lend itself to a pan tilt setup and as much as I've searched I can't find anything but ribbon cables
there was someone in the uk who was making adapters for this, I dont know if they still are. This was one of the problems I was having . my solution was mounting the raspberry pi onto the gimbal its self. not pretty as i would have liked but it works for now.
May 23, 2021, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-Alpha
there was someone in the uk who was making adapters for this, I dont know if they still are. This was one of the problems I was having . my solution was mounting the raspberry pi onto the gimbal its self. not pretty as i would have liked but it works for now.
I thought about mounting the pi on the pan/tilt with the cam but decided against it because of drag, the camera is a big enough parasitic drag in itself and adding a pi to it would create so much drag!

The other reason is the wifi adapter, I don't want that on the pan/tilt and the longer you have the cables the less stable I've found it is, the pi zero really does not seem to like long cables and I had big problems getting the taobao card to work on my quad and it took shortening the wires between the pi and the card to 1.5" to get it to run

That said, I was able to get the taobao to work with longer cables if they were shielded but they were not flexible enough to work in the application I wanted and I have a longer unshielded cable on the Ar9271 wifi cards and they are fine so maybe cable length is wifi card influenced and down to its USB data line signal strength rather than the pi.

I really hope I can find round flexible csi cables, I'll buy a few of them if I can!

Here's how I have my Ar9271 based fixed wing setup, the csi cable does not get strained by the pan/tilt but im concerned with it failing from it constantly flapping in the wind, I see you will have that same issue with how your cable is too.
May 23, 2021, 12:36 PM
Fly Hard or Fly Home!!!
my wires are short, under 6 inches. i used the shortest cable i could for the camera as well. for the pri on my build it has 2 power wires going to it and the two data lines going out to the usb card. I would have liked to mount the camera with a round cable of some type but i couldnt find any. the best I could do is make an adapter that uses a really short flat cable to connect between the cable and the camera and rpi.

I have the ability to make them so I may do so. if i make some I will send you one for the cost of postage . when i order PCBs they come in sets of three, i only need two for now.
May 23, 2021, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-Alpha
my wires are short, under 6 inches. i used the shortest cable i could for the camera as well. for the pri on my build it has 2 power wires going to it and the two data lines going out to the usb card. I would have liked to mount the camera with a round cable of some type but i couldnt find any. the best I could do is make an adapter that uses a really short flat cable to connect between the cable and the camera and rpi.

I have the ability to make them so I may do so. if i make some I will send you one for the cost of postage . when i order PCBs they come in sets of three, i only need two for now.
Although i have my Wifi adapter connected using usb in this build (the Taobao build is soldered direct), the data lines are all the Micro USB at the pi end is carrying and the power to the card is supplied separately to the cable but delivered through the the USB C connector i fitted to the AR9271

This build is using a slightly longer version of the cable below, i made that one when i planned on putting the wifi stick inside but then realized it wasn't going to get sufficient airflow when i tested it for running temperature but outside its fine

id be interested in anything that allows round csi, you said pcb, would they be some sort of adapter?
May 23, 2021, 02:21 PM
Quote:
I have yet to fly on mine but with the power level set to 51 in the config and the adapter mounted on the side of the fuse in a 3d printed mount, the modules have stayed at a reasonable temp with the plane outside where there is a light 12c breeze, the airflow when airborne will keep them plenty cool enough.

With the power set to 54 and indoors, I have little doubt that it would have overheated as it got very hot, they may be fine at 54 when airborne but def not when testing on the ground.

I hope to have the plane on its test flight soon and hoping they are as good as expect, i have 4 of them for air side units and a further two in my ground station plus another two low power modules in my ground station for quadversity

I have quadversity for 5.8 as well but getting high power 5.8 modules is stupid hard at the moment and I have just one taobao card in a 450 quad and the only seller who has them is asking crazy money!
Thanks, I'll Try lowering power
May 23, 2021, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Yes, hard to find, I found one (4w booser, to be used on ground as it has RX amplification too), still waiting to receive it.
How far do you want to fly? With ASUS AC56 you get 4-5km easily with omnidirectional antennas. People on the OpenHD forum do fly regularly to 50km with patch antennas and such, still with ASUS AC56. I myself fly with CP omni on both air and ground, and I fly to 3-4km usually (due to flying style and battery size, not link limit).
May 23, 2021, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetruSoroaga
Yes, hard to find, I found one (4w booser, to be used on ground as it has RX amplification too), still waiting to receive it.
How far do you want to fly? With ASUS AC56 you get 4-5km easily with omnidirectional antennas. People on the OpenHD forum do fly regularly to 50km with patch antennas and such, still with ASUS AC56. I myself fly with CP omni on both air and ground, and I fly to 3-4km usually (due to flying style and battery size, not link limit).
you will get more range out of linear, CP sucks for range on analogue or digital but the open hd wiki actually states it makes use of multipathing, if your using diversity or better and position your antennas at 90 degrees you negate the phase issues when banking.

i have no plans to fly on CP, its wastes power (about 3db) and sucks, linear has way more range.
May 23, 2021, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Thanks, I'll Try lowering power
i would start even lower than my 51 and raise after testing, i plan to lower mine to 48 or 49 for the initial flight test and start bumping it up on subsequent flights if all is well, its better safe than sorry

Quick Reply