Thread Tools
Feb 27, 2020, 02:08 AM
Registered User
can Through raspberry pi3B+ GPIO output PWM control tow 90 servo To achieve AAT ?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2020, 05:11 AM
Registered User

Openhd on Hydrofoil


I am assembling openhd to put it on a hydrofoil.
AIR: raspberry pi zero + picam v2.1 + + AWUS036NHE
GND: raspberry pi4b 4gb + AWUS036NHE

I bought the material, then I realized that the image does not work on pi4.
When is it possible to have an image for pi4?


In the future it is possible to add to air: ( imu mpu9250 + bmp280 i2c ) + ( GPS neo6mv2 rs232 )

Thank you
Feb 27, 2020, 06:03 AM
Registered User
@Drandulet2
Hi
First you need a target. Mine is: small race-copter with HD-FPV under 250gr and flight time around 10min.
I create all my drawings with the 3D CAD program Rhino 6, which is area-oriented and commercial.
By far the best free 3D CAD program is Fusion360 and highly recommended.
First I define the parts, weights and dimensions of the copter parts and then I design the copter around it.
Many finished parts in 3D-CAD file formats, e.g. for Raspberry, can be found here: www.grabcad.com.
Mostly real CAD files, not only unchangeable STL files.
I can't give instructions for creating CAD drawings.
This is a learning intensive process, you should plan some weeks for it.
But if you want to learn it, then learn it right away with e.g. Fusion360.

I will be happy to answer further questions. I would also be happy if someone would be interested in developing something appropriate together.
Many greetings
Jochen Causemann

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Feb 27, 2020, 06:22 AM
Registered User
There are plenty of tutorials for Fusion360 on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fusion+360
Jochen Causemann
Feb 27, 2020, 06:35 AM
Registered User
Hi
Currently I am building a cine-whoop for HD indoor flying.
1306 engine with 2,5" propellers. It fits a Pi Zero or also a Pi A+.
If you are interested I will gladly share my files.
Jochen
Feb 27, 2020, 07:04 AM
Registered User
Sorry for the translation
This is what I would like to accomplish.
I write from Italy. I translate google traslate.
On the beach I would like to have live video + telemetry.
air in to waterproof box.

domenico
Last edited by domHydrofoil; Feb 27, 2020 at 07:09 AM.
Feb 27, 2020, 08:34 PM
Htcohio
Htcohio's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant119
can Through raspberry pi3B+ GPIO output PWM control tow 90 servo To achieve AAT ?
Hello,

No I don't believe PWM directly on the ground pi but, it is common to use the Uart Pin similar to air pi telemetry. (Like Ardutracker)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Feb 27, 2020, 09:36 PM
Htcohio
Htcohio's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by domHydrofoil
I am assembling openhd to put it on a hydrofoil.
AIR: raspberry pi zero + picam v2.1 + + AWUS036NHE
GND: raspberry pi4b 4gb + AWUS036NHE

I bought the material, then I realized that the image does not work on pi4.
When is it possible to have an image for pi4?


In the future it is possible to add to air: ( imu mpu9250 + bmp280 i2c ) + ( GPS neo6mv2 rs232 )

Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by domHydrofoil
Sorry for the translation
This is what I would like to accomplish.
I write from Italy. I translate google traslate.
On the beach I would like to have live video + telemetry.
air in to waterproof box.

domenico
Quote:
Originally Posted by domHydrofoil
I am assembling openhd to put it on a hydrofoil.
AIR: raspberry pi zero + picam v2.1 + + AWUS036NHE
GND: raspberry pi4b 4gb + AWUS036NHE

I bought the material, then I realized that the image does not work on pi4.
When is it possible to have an image for pi4?


In the future it is possible to add to air: ( imu mpu9250 + bmp280 i2c ) + ( GPS neo6mv2 rs232 )

Thank you
Hey, wow, that is a cool application!

The Alfa AWUS036NHE? or NHA?

NHE is probably older Ralink chipset that is no longer "Officially" supported but may handle video just fine.

For 2.3-2.7Ghz video, search ar9271

for 5.1-5.8 video search RTL8812AU
on Aliexpress because they have a nice selection.

Of course Alfa sells premium adapters with both chipsets.

As for Pi4, Yes, it is almost ready... I have one and our lead dev Stephen has one. I might have a beta image to test but, I have not verified myself yet.





Quote:
Originally Posted by domHydrofoil
Sorry for the translation
This is what I would like to accomplish.
I write from Italy. I translate google traslate.
On the beach I would like to have live video + telemetry.
air in to waterproof box.

domenico
I am excited about this. It is the kind of project I really enjoy.

Some questions:

1. Is the hydrofoil going to be pulled by a boat like a wakeboard? Windsurfing sail? Or, just solo riding a wave?

2. If it is a wind sail (or whatever it is called) were you planning on having the camera attached to the handlebar or lines going to the sail? Or, how were you thinking of having the camera oriented on the "air" side?

3. Are you familiar with the Raspberry Pi HDMI input module that you can buy for $20?
It provides the highest quality video stream and, allows you to record HD or 4k on the camera like GoPro, Firefly Split or Foxeer Box for example... Personally, that is what I would recommend. That, and just on past experience, it's never fun having a bunch of wiring and connections to fuss around with out in the field or especially by the water.

4. Perhaps you could share what your project budget is (Aside from the Air/Ground Pi computers) so, I can further help put a full solution/component list together for you...

There are several options and configurations you might want to consider. You will probably want something that is plug-and-play and simple to use.

Below are some links to parts and wireless cards.

*** FYI, In case you were not aware, We have discussions all day long on our public telegram group with 300 people around the world. Im sure others would be very interested in your project.
Here is the group link.
Open.HD Users
https://t.me/OpenHD_HDFPV

CSI-HDMI MODULE (pi zero footprint)
#Aliexpress US $36.98
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dUJGKa3

(Example oven inexpensive weather proof housing)
#Aliexpress US $4.95 | 1 piece 126*80*20mm szomk
https://a.aliexpress.com/_d6LnANp

Good 8812au wireless card
#Aliexpress US $19.50 | RTL8812AU
650Mw SIGE 5023L+SKY85601
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dZQXBRt

AR9271 cheap 100mw wireless card
#Aliexpress US $4.75
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dYxpT5H



I hope this info is some help.... And, your english translation came through perfectly fine


Cheers,

Justin

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Feb 27, 2020, 11:38 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by causemann
@Drandulet2
Hi
First you need a target. Mine is: small race-copter with HD-FPV under 250gr and flight time around 10min.
I create all my drawings with the 3D CAD program Rhino 6, which is area-oriented and commercial.
By far the best free 3D CAD program is Fusion360 and highly recommended.
First I define the parts, weights and dimensions of the copter parts and then I design the copter around it.
Many finished parts in 3D-CAD file formats, e.g. for Raspberry, can be found here: www.grabcad.com.
Mostly real CAD files, not only unchangeable STL files.
I can't give instructions for creating CAD drawings.
This is a learning intensive process, you should plan some weeks for it.
But if you want to learn it, then learn it right away with e.g. Fusion360.

I will be happy to answer further questions. I would also be happy if someone would be interested in developing something appropriate together.
Many greetings
Jochen Causemann

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Many thanks for the detailed reply! I will watch some videos on how to CAD. I will try to find something written on how the geometry of the frame affect the quadcopters flight characteristics, and how to approach it to make it light, but also sturdy enough. If you want to share your experience on these points, it would be very interesting to learn. Also thanks for the info about grabcad.com! The stl only files, as on thingiverse, is quite limiting.

I'd be very interested in the files for your new whoop, and/or the plywood frame! As for developing, well I haven't got the skills yet. But what I can offer is to 3D-print, and maybe even CNC (I probably have the possibility to use an X-carve) and try out some designs.

Since you have an interest in light weight setups, I think these videos from a fellow enthusiast that I stumbled upon, might provide some good exchange of ideas! Both yours and his AUWs for the quadcopters baffle me!

4K Cinewhoop with DIY 2-Axis Gimbal 2nd Gen., Frame Flyegg130 clone/GPS/Firefly Q6/Inav2.1.0 (3 min 18 sec)


72.5 minutes endurance FPV mini drone project #2 (2 min 44 sec)
Feb 27, 2020, 11:43 PM
Registered User

for sale


Hi there,
lost interest in this project and have a few things someone who wants to start might like :
2x ubiqui
2x TPlink
1x Ralink
2.4 1W booster
2.4 patch
pm me your offer.
Name: IMG_2375.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 945.3 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2374.jpg
Views: 66
Size: 3.57 MB
Description: Name: IMG_2377.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 544.1 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2376.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 829.6 KB
Description:
Feb 28, 2020, 05:26 AM
Registered User
@Drandulet2
Hi
Where do you live?
Feb 28, 2020, 05:46 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by causemann
@Drandulet2
Hi
Where do you live?
I sent you a PM!
Feb 28, 2020, 08:22 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Htcohio
Is the hydrofoil going to be pulled by a boat like a wakeboard? Windsurfing sail? Or, just solo riding a wave?
Kitesurf
Quote:
Htcohio
If it is a wind sail (or whatever it is called) were you planning on having the camera attached to the handlebar or lines going to the sail? Or, how were you thinking of having the camera oriented on the "air" side?
bow of the board
Quote:
The Alfa AWUS036NHE?
AWUS036NHE chipset RT2870/3070 driver rt2800usb

On the beach I would like to have live video, GPS table position, table speed, table tilt, table direction,
Pi air , two CAM, switch front and back in the future
Last edited by domHydrofoil; Feb 28, 2020 at 08:38 AM.
Feb 28, 2020, 08:41 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by domHydrofoil
Kitesurf

bow of the board

AWUS036NHE chipset RT2870/3070 driver rt2800usb

On the beach I would like to have live video, GPS table position, table speed, table tilt, table direction,
Pi air , two CAM, switch front and back
Any plans on putting one of these on the foil?
Feb 28, 2020, 09:00 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Drandulet2
Any plans on putting one of these on the foil?
Yes
On the board pulled by the foil.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Open 3D Flight Assistant discussion and creation thread racermark DIY Electronics 5 Apr 07, 2018 11:54 PM
New Product <Discussion thread>Hubsan H111C&H111D 720P HD Camera Quadcopter RTF BG Well Mini Multirotor Drones 62 Sep 06, 2016 08:59 PM
New Product Discussion thread---FQ777-124C MINI With 2.0MP HD &Switchable Controller BG Well Micro Multirotor Drones 41 Aug 11, 2016 05:51 PM
Discussion An open discussion about Model Aviation, the FAA, and the AMA dag214 Model Aircraft & Drone Advocacy 46 Dec 24, 2015 11:07 AM
New Product HeadPlay HD FPV Headset w/ 32ch 5.8GHz Receiver - Pre-Order open at GetFPV.com GetFPV FPV Equipment 41 Dec 13, 2015 03:33 PM