May 22, 2019, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksto
Actually, according to this post: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=623

Trebor Link states that wifi link is working on the 5.8Ghz dual band RTLchipset adapters, that's why I started building my WingWingZ84 to try it out as a test rig
That would be nice! - I will start flying with 2.4 RC (FrSky) and only use it for video and telemetry, but I like the concept of only have to manage one link.
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2019, 09:31 AM
Thread OP
Hey Guys, about RC...

IF You use Cards with 2.4 Ghz Atheros AR9271 chipsets WITH RC over USB, You need 3 settings...

1. CTS_PROTECTION= YES

2. RC= mavlink
*Make sure your FC baud rates match the Uplink/RC baud rates in settings.txt file also.

3. EncryptionOrRange= Range
*"Range" represents the same RC protocol used on WFB 1.6 RC6.
#

IF You use Cards with 5.8Ghz RTL8812AU chipsets WITH RC over USB, You need 3 settings...

1. CTS_PROTECTION= NO

2. RC= mavlink
*Make sure your FC baud rates match the Uplink/RC baud rates in settings.txt file also.

3. EncryptionOrRange= Encryption

**The RC option of "ENCRYPTION" was added in order to expand the RC over USB possibilities without having AR9271 Cards and the special CTS/RTS protection frames needed for the original 1.6 RC6.

Basically what it should be listed as is as follows:

ENCRYPTION RC + NO CTS = RC setting for NON AR9271 CARDS

RANGE RC + CTS = AR9271 CARDS ONLY

So, this feature, Specifics listed, And compatibility list has not been fully updated on the wiki yet, but will be.

** @ Blacksto and others, if you would like to contribute to the project and wiki by having access to edit the page with your new information and recommendations just let us know and we can add you on as a contributor. we REALLY could use some help with this stuff! ))).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
May 22, 2019, 09:37 AM
Hello
Frame: 1mm black GFK and printed housing
Eachine motor 1104, 4000KV
GemFan 3-Blade Props 2540
ESC All in one 10A, 20x20mm
FC Betaflight 20x20mm
Lipo 3s450mA
2,4 GHz RC receicer: Taranis DR4
Pi Zero
5 GHz WLan Stick: sorry, unknown, bought 2 years ago, range only about 100m
Total flight weight: 155gr
Flight time: about 7 min
In this configuration i am still able to save10-20gr with lighter componens

My goal: build a brisk flying HD- copter under 250gr
German FPV-regulations allow FPV without spotter when weight is under 250gr and max flight height is 30m
Relativly low latency is important, but not all. I am not a real racer, only moderate flight speed.
With actual 155gr i have 95gr in reserve for my next build.
A little more Lipo, little bigger motors, nicer frame, GPS-module etc.

First i have to buy a better Wlan adapter.
Range about 5-600m would be very ok.
Which light and rel. small 5GHz Wlan adapter would you recommend?

Best regards
Jochen Causemann
May 22, 2019, 09:41 AM
Thread OP
Also, with how many various Wi-Fi cards that are in existence especially with the newer Realtek ones listed on the spreadsheet and post I provided
Here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...php?p=41887939

It is probably best to inquire on this forum before you actually purchase any cards...

As you can see on the list on that link there are variants of the RealTek Cards like RTL8812BU, 8822CU etc that do not work with packet injection and monitor mode yet.

several people have accidentally bought those cards because the seller was advertising them incorrectly.

myself and others on here are pretty well knowledgeable about what to look for and which ones are better than others.

just a quick tip for anyone considering the 5.8 side.

May 22, 2019, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotnbr1
Nice! I am partial to the small builds!

I have been considering a banana pi bpm-d1 and the smallest WiFi card we support to build a “park flyer” setup
http://www.banana-pi.org/d1.html

Could be fun!
I have a bpi-d1 sitting on the shelf. I bought it a while back and forgot about it. I'll have to dig it out and see what I can do with it.
May 22, 2019, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htcohio
3. EASE OF USE WITH OPEN DEVELOPMENT PLATFORM
We needed to create an open platform that was easy for new developers and programmers to decipher and understand. so if you look at the GitHub repository you'll see the image builder which is a step by step building process for new developers to use.
I beg to differ on the ease of use for development (at least from my perspective). The image builder does work very well. I have been able to build my own images from it, but I consider it more of a tool for making distributions than development. The one huge benefit (IMO) of using a Linux SDC over an embedded system is the ability to develop on the platform.

IMO, for development, I would like to see instructions where I could start from a stock raspbian image, install a few dependencies, checkout the repo, build it, and run it.

As it is now, I can run a script to get a magic image that I can put on a couple of sd cards and boot them up, but that makes for an awful long development cycle if you have to do that for every little change. Ignoring the fact that I have no idea how to get debug output from the air side.
May 22, 2019, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbbn
I beg to differ on the ease of use for development (at least from my perspective). The image builder does work very well. I have been able to build my own images from it, but I consider it more of a tool for making distributions than development. The one huge benefit (IMO) of using a Linux SDC over an embedded system is the ability to develop on the platform.

IMO, for development, I would like to see instructions where I could start from a stock raspbian image, install a few dependencies, checkout the repo, build it, and run it.

As it is now, I can run a script to get a magic image that I can put on a couple of sd cards and boot them up, but that makes for an awful long development cycle if you have to do that for every little change. Ignoring the fact that I have no idea how to get debug output from the air side.
It’s a valid point regarding the builder. The thing is that this is a huge step up over EZ which had a repo but really only partially told the story as far as what had been done to create the EZ image.

The pi and it’s its idiosyncrasies have demanded changes that have to be made at the kernel level.. these changes are mostly to prevent packet loss

- cpu voltage and clock speed
- many changes to the kernel config files
- patches that are applied early in the build
- swappiness and dirty ratio of the file system
- package dependencies
- lots of tweaks to save cpu time
- elimination of damons, services, and background processes

So the builder has the stages and the ability to skip earlier parts of the build (after you have already built the first time). Maybe we will add another stage to the builder so that in that last stage it only pulls the openhd source repo and in that way expedites the dev, build, test cycle.

I think everyone has a different workflow when working on this. Personally I usually ssh into a pi and make local changes until it works then make a commit to the repo..

If you are interested in more interaction with this, there is a telegram group that is quite active. I can send you an invite, but fair warning it is a lot of messages everyday!

I am excited to see what you do with your bannana pi- I just ordered that same one!
May 22, 2019, 07:24 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
Quote:
Originally Posted by causemann
Hello
Perhaps it is for your interest:
Size: 130mm
Weight: 155gr incl. 3s450mA
Flight time: about 7 min
Best regards
Jochen Causemann
Nice.
Would this be (about) the smallest possible ezwifi rig?
Latest blog entry: MY notes/ Ascent 2"build notes
May 23, 2019, 12:12 AM
Here is some problem with screens.
1. Full HD works good
2. 5" 800*480 - shows picture, but OSD is too small and goes beyond picture; picture does not fill whole area, there are some black borders top and bottom
3. 7" 1024*600 does not work at all.

In all cases tried following camera resolutions:
1280*720
1920*1080
800*480
May 23, 2019, 12:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvmultirotor
Here is some problem with screens.
1. Full HD works good
2. 5" 800*480 - shows picture, but OSD is too small and goes beyond picture; picture does not fill whole area, there are some black borders top and bottom
3. 7" 1024*600 does not work at all.

In all cases tried following camera resolutions:
1280*720
1920*1080
800*480
@avp,

I have the same screens as you... i think.

7" Pi lcd with ffc DSI cable

5" Pi lcd with hdmi connection

*You say the 7"lcd does not work at all. Did you discommect the hdmi display?

By factory default, those cannot be used simultaneously. we have a patch that we can provide but it limits hdmi to 800x480.

The 5" lcd may work with 840x480 or 720x400

May 23, 2019, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htcohio
@avp,

I have the same screens as you... i think.

7" Pi lcd with ffc DSI cable

5" Pi lcd with hdmi connection

*You say the 7"lcd does not work at all. Did you discommect the hdmi display?

By factory default, those cannot be used simultaneously. we have a patch that we can provide but it limits hdmi to 800x480.

The 5" lcd may work with 840x480 or 720x400

All screens are HDMI, I don't have DSI one.
May 23, 2019, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvmultirotor
All screens are HDMI, I don't have DSI one.
I am assuming you are trying to make these resolution changes within the config.txt file that is in the boot partition (same dir as openhd-settings-1.txt)
May 23, 2019, 07:53 AM
Hello
First FPV-flight with 155gr copter.
Nothing special, but i am very happy with this first result.
Open HD works great! Many thanks.
Most important for me: At max. range Video stream breaks, but allways comes back.
Lot of improvement for me to do with latency, cam settings etc.
Thanks a lot to all of you.
Open HD, 130er Copter, 155gr, first FPV flight (3 min 4 sec)

best regards
Jochen
May 23, 2019, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by causemann
Hello
First FPV-flight with 155gr copter.
Nothing special, but i am very happy with this first result.
Open HD works great! Many thanks.
Most important for me: At max. range Video stream breaks, but allways comes back.
Lot of improvement for me to do with latency, cam settings etc.
Thanks a lot to all of you.
https://youtu.be/j_fOToGaQ4I
best regards
Jochen
Hey, can you share your settings and which camera you used? The image looks quite nice, and sharp.
Cheers, and welcome to the club!
May 23, 2019, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotnbr1
I am assuming you are trying to make these resolution changes within the config.txt file that is in the boot partition (same dir as openhd-settings-1.txt)
No, did it in openhd-settings-1.txt

Quick Reply