Nov 02, 2018, 08:50 AM
Thread OP
Careful!

Open-HD (BETA TESTING)FPV Discussion

***DISCLOSURE UPDATED NOV 24TH***

If you are new, I highly recommend you follow the instructions for the original EZ wifibroadcast project for your first build. It is proven and reliable. OpenHD at the moment is a test bed for some enhanced features which are not fully tested at this point. One person got into a crash using the RC and I don't want that to happen to anyone else who isn't fully experienced with these systems.
https://github.com/bortek/EZ-WifiBroadcast/wiki

This new thread was created to discuss and test A variation of Borteks EZ-wifibroadcast project Wireless HD FPV DIY system as well as any other variations that may be available.

I would also like to encourage the discussion of any variant or fork of the EZ wifibroadcast project. Basically if you have an iso image with certain features that you would like to share or talk about this is the place.

I want to take what we already know and cultivate new ideas or applications that this type of system can serve.

As long as the system is based on Raspberry Pi or another single board computer as the core component please share your thoughts ideas or reviews...

The "OpenHD" version of the project that is attached is more of a concept than a fork of the original project. Everybody has different ideas and applications and like everything it's good to have a little diversity with the thought process and development.

Original Project:
https://github.com/bortek/EZ-WifiBroadcast/wiki

Other Credits:
SVPcom wifibroadcast fork
https://github.com/svpcom/wifibroadcast

User1321:
Lead Developer

Link includes:
-New "OpenHD test image"
-modified fpvvr app for full control of video settings
-Modified ardupilot plane/copter firmware for 16ch rc.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mr52xg0x3...3s2TRCaOa?dl=0

@All

I have been experimenting a little bit and perfecting some features. This has resulted in another ISO image. Most of the bugs have been worked out except the Uplink RSSI indicator on the OSD.

Features:

•Pi3b+ compatibility, 5G internal hotspot is activated so if you have a pi3B+ version you just need to connect any Android phone to the hotspot and all of the air/ground wfb settings can be changed.

•Mavlink2 compatibility

•4 camera switch (plug and play)

Let me know if you have any questions

I'm attaching the following files, feel free to flash and test them out

1. Open-hd (modified wifibroadcast) Image

2. Fpv VR app (modified for wfb setting control)

3. DavidGPs .px4 Plane/copter~pix/pixracer Patched firmware which was released today. (Awesome, Thanks!!!)

**NOTE**

This image is default to 2312Mhz and configured for: Mission Planner/QGC connection over 5g hotspot for video/telemetry. Also, the VR "settings" app and MP/QGC will not work simultaneously, only one at a time. Also, only Atheros AR9271 cards have been tested on the ground and none tested in the air so, please be careful if using it to fly. Or, be sure to change freq. if testing other usb chipsets...

Video demonstrating App
Fpvvr app test 10-30 (0 min 18 sec)

Wfb rc test 57k baud + [email protected] 10 (50hz) (2 min 8 sec)

Wifibroadcast RC stability test Mavlink2 and 16ch RC (1 min 34 sec)

More information to come.
Last edited by Htcohio; Nov 24, 2018 at 08:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2018, 11:03 AM
willfly4$
Thanks for creating a new thread, looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!
Nov 02, 2018, 11:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis
Thanks for creating a new thread, looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!
@Cleatis,

Sure thing! This was not my intention to begin with. But perhaps it's time to have several different discussions going on with the project as more people become involved.

Ez-wifibroadcast as a whole is complicated and susceptible to a lot of disagreements because the possibilities of what can be achieved is almost Limitless because it's using hardware, chipsets and frequencies that are compatible with almost everything.

All of the source code related to this Branch will be made public as it should be.

I have several ideas for Unique enhancements I hope can be implemented this year.

Are you able to confirm that you can view the files on the Dropbox link above? A few weeks ago someone said they had trouble accessing a dropbox link. Please confirm you are able to view them?

Thanks!
Nov 02, 2018, 11:30 AM
willfly4$
Yes sir the link works for me
Nov 02, 2018, 11:53 AM
Build more, websurf less
Tested some capabilities of Open-HD v0.2.5.2 with these results:

Major functions that worked:

1. MAVLink parameters successfully downloaded into Mission Planner on the Windows 10 PC

2. Radio Calibration completed successfully

3. Pulling a flight plan from the Pixhawk into Mission Planner completed successfully

4. Writing a flight plan from Mission Planner to the Pixhawk completed successfully

5. WBC OSD flight modes displayed and updated successfully – the same as in Mission Planner

Functions that did not work:

1. Rally points did not read or write to or from the Pixhawk

2. RC controls are notchy in MANUAL mode

3. 50% loss of telemetry packets. I need to retest with greater distances between GCS and airplane, but have to wait now until it stops raining

4. Telemetry signal strength indicator on the OSD not active

My priority for features needed to fly are:

a. Rally points (I use them for RTL)
b. Reduce RC servo movement stickiness (probably fixed by reducing lost telemetry packets)
Nov 02, 2018, 12:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
Tested some capabilities of Open-HD v0.2.5.2 with these results:

Functions that did not work:

My priority for features needed to fly are:

a. Rally points (I use them for RTL)
b. Reduce RC servo movement stickiness (probably fixed by reducing lost telemetry packets)
Hey buddy,
Just to confirm, are you saying you had the exact same rc problem when you separated the USB and Telemetry rx/tx wires? I've attached a better picture of mine, can you confirm that you have it set up the same way?

Assuming that issue has been resolved as pictured, I would highly recommend reflashing the image to both air and ground SD cards and try testing them out as is without any changes to the settings. (The stock openhd image should work as I have demonstrated with mav2 and 57k baud). If you see an improvement with that, I recommend changing the RC/telem-baud settings to 5/115k baud as previously discussed.

Also, rally points are a known issue with Mission planner. This was cross-referenced on github. Regular/smart RTL should work for the time being.

thank you very much for all your testing so far we will definitely get it figured out.

Nov 02, 2018, 01:47 PM
Build more, websurf less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htcohio
Hey buddy,
Just to confirm, are you saying you had the exact same rc problem when you separated the USB and Telemetry rx/tx wires? I've attached a better picture of mine, can you confirm that you have it set up the same way?

Assuming that issue has been resolved as pictured, I would highly recommend reflashing the image to both air and ground SD cards and try testing them out as is without any changes to the settings. (The stock openhd image should work as I have demonstrated with mav2 and 57k baud). If you see an improvement with that, I recommend changing the RC/telem-baud settings to 5/115k baud as previously discussed.

Also, rally points are a known issue with Mission planner. This was cross-referenced on github. Regular/smart RTL should work for the time being.

thank you very much for all your testing so far we will definitely get it figured out.
Ok, I never had the Tx/Rx wiring crossed - it was only my incorrect diagram that confused careyer. The wiring was correct from the start and worked correctly with WFB versions up through 1.6RC6.

Re-imaged the Open-HD version from scratch again and made these changes from the default settings:
- changed freq to 2472
- UAV type to PLANE
- Turned off wifi hotspot and activated Etherent hotspot

At 57kbaud, the system worked ok.

Changed to 115kbaud and the system worked a little faster, rc controls still a bit choppy.

With both 57k and 115k there was 50% telemetry packet loss.

And, it still does not read or write the rally points. I do not think it is a Mission Planner issue, since I've used rally points for years and with the same versions of ArduPlane and Mission Planner but with conventional RC/telemetry receivers like ULRS and DragonLink.
Last edited by FlyingW; Jan 06, 2019 at 06:49 PM.
Nov 02, 2018, 01:57 PM
Spearheading an Alliance
Guys, any thoughts on voltage regulators for both ground Pi and air Pi?

Are certain types better than others for this application? Powering a ground Pi with 3 WiFi cards for example.

They seem to come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and varieties now, are there some that should be avoided?
Thoughts on SBEC's and UBEC's?

I asked over in the other thread but question was never addressed and the wiki while having the subject in the side mast does not, as of this posting, link to anything.

Thanks in Advance,

~BG~
Nov 02, 2018, 02:05 PM
UAV Flight Operations Manager
I used a RMRC branded BEC on my Vrx Pi but it whined that the voltage was too low. Still worked, though.

I wasn’t seeing Mbps over 3, though, no matter what I tried. So in an effort to rule out a weak BEC I went with a Castle Creations 10 amp adjustable BEC. It is factory set for 5.1 volts.

I then no longer had any whining about voltage being too low, but still didn’t see an increase in Mbps, either. So my issue isn’t voltage, so take all this with a grain of salt.
Nov 02, 2018, 02:09 PM
Spearheading an Alliance
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy
I used a RMRC branded BEC on my Vrx Pi but it whined that the voltage was too low. Still worked, though.

I wasn’t seeing Mbps over 3, though, no matter what I tried. So in an effort to rule out a weak BEC I went with a Castle Creations 10 amp adjustable BEC. It is factory set for 5.1 volts.

I then no longer had any whining about voltage being too low, but still didn’t see an increase in Mbps, either. So my issue isn’t voltage, so take all this with a grain of salt.
Thanks for the input. I have at least one of those CC BEC's, I'll give that a go.

~BG~
Nov 02, 2018, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoGolf
Guys, any thoughts on voltage regulators for both ground Pi and air Pi?

Are certain types better than others for this application? Powering a ground Pi with 3 WiFi cards for example.

They seem to come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and varieties now, are there some that should be avoided?
Thoughts on SBEC's and UBEC's?

I asked over in the other thread but question was never addressed and the wiki while having the subject in the side mast does not, as of this posting, link to anything.

Thanks in Advance,

~BG~
i use this one for both ground and air . ground using 2 Ubiquiti Std so far so good.

https://www.amazon.com/Servo-Helicop...70_&dpSrc=srch
Nov 02, 2018, 02:10 PM
I'm using this one I found I had and it works good set at 5.1V, but they don't have it in stock anymore. The chip on it is MP2367 if it's of any help.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ge-buzzer.html
Nov 02, 2018, 02:11 PM
Thread OP
@flyingw,

This is really surprising. I know that you probably feel like you have tested and checked everything. But because this has happened for this and 1.6 rc6. It leads me to believe that it has to be something else related to power or the USB cable going to taranis.

I just recalled that the first time I set up wfb 1.6 I used a really long PlayStation mini USB cable that gave me connection problems.

Do you by chance have a different mini USB you could try to the taranis>>pi?

Also, can you confirm that you disabled 2.4 radio on taranis? (Pic)
Nov 02, 2018, 02:24 PM
Build more, websurf less
Castle BECs on everything at 5.2v. A little more expensive but you never have to think about BECs again.
Nov 02, 2018, 02:26 PM
Spearheading an Alliance
Thanks for input guys regarding voltage regulators ans BEC's. I'll at leaset use the single CC BEC on the ground Pi to get started with.

Also....

Good point HtcOhio regarding USB cables.

I've had several instances over the years in regards to various FPV set ups, or firmware flashing scenarios, where a particular USB cable made all the difference.

~BG~

Quick Reply