Mar 28, 2019, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar
That wing loading value is super high. You sure that's correct? Seems pretty heavy if specs are correct.
A 5 foot wingspan model with an AUW of 5.5lbs seems heavy? Calculation is correct, and if you look at the cubic wing loading number instead, it has comparable flight characteristics/floatyness as the FMS 1.4m Stuka, FMS BF-109 and even the durafly trojan.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2019, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dee
A 5 foot wingspan model with an AUW of 5.5lbs seems heavy? Calculation is correct, and if you look at the cubic wing loading number instead, it has comparable flight characteristics/floatyness as the FMS 1.4m Stuka, FMS BF-109 and even the durafly trojan.
Was basing it on a comparible sized balsa plane but it's probably wrong. Anyways, that wing load # rates as very high compared to what many other similar sports models claim but it's clearly not the whole story. I'll admit that in the one video it seems ok.
Mar 29, 2019, 09:28 AM
Yea, I honestly only consider cubic wing loading numbers when AUW and wing area is known. It's a more comparable number and easier to understand the handling characteristics across different sized models
Apr 02, 2019, 06:24 PM
Purdue Engineering
Thread OP
Wing cube loading is a more useful metric than just wing loading for sure. The Ercoupe's WCL puts it in the "scale" category.

That said, a decent portion of the weight of the model is the large battery used for CG. I'm considering a lengthened nose option so that the model can be flown with a lighter pack. A Mooney M10 variant could be cool as well - one tail is lighter than two!
Apr 02, 2019, 10:11 PM
It is a cool design. I particularly like the "knee" of the wheels. Cool look. Also really appreciating how tough it is to create a complete design now that I'm working on a few of my own. Very fun though.
May 24, 2019, 12:46 PM
Rocketman1092 nice website. Other than this model what other ons are you looking at designing? Looking forward to the Hughes. Joe
May 25, 2019, 02:25 PM
Purdue Engineering
Thread OP
Thanks! Next release is a Bell 407 fuselage for 450-sized helicopters, which I've got printed and waiting for testing/documentation. Otherwise, the project that gets the most attention at the moment is a sport/scale jet based on the XQ-58A for a 90mm EDF.

The H-1 needs a few "lessons learned" from the Ercoupe applied to the CAD model, but is just about ready for the internal structure to be designed.

Quick Reply