Nov 01, 2018, 03:50 PM
Thread OP
New Product

Snipe 2 Electric

Saw this on Vladimir model's facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/GDSHS/posts/1069586299869860

Perhaps this can be good plane for the new TALES format (mashup between ALES and F3K)?
TALES info here:
http://gdshs.org/tales-event-rules.htm
Last edited by tomkelley; Nov 01, 2018 at 03:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2018, 03:56 PM
Thread OP

photos

From the facebook post:
Snipe 2 electric
It isnewest extremely cool small light thermal electric glider and hotliner in the same model.
Strong version. Weight is 292g with 2S LiPo 650 mAh, Sunnysky 1806 kv 2400 motor, 25A Sannysky ESC, 4 X08 servos.
Static thrust is 335g.
Nov 01, 2018, 07:24 PM
E Thermal Hack & Vtail Lover
Wow! That’s fairly light for an electric Handlaunch.
How does it fly? And where did you get it?
Nov 01, 2018, 07:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by airman749
Wow! Thatís fairly light for an electric Handlaunch.
How does it fly? And where did you get it?
I just copy pasted from Vladimir Model Facebook post. Vladimir probably has the only one right now.
Nov 01, 2018, 08:13 PM
Hugh Blackburn
Perfect, finally that's out in the open. I would be happy to fly these instead of F5J. My guess is the cost would be around 1/3 to 1/2 what a 4m plane costs, hence lowering the entry hurdle. Can we make a new class for these? Seriously. We could adopt/adapt many of the standard non-turnaround F3K tasks, say with max 100m launch and use F5J-type engine-run penalties. Without much trouble you could use the same wing and tail for F3K and F5J planes.
Nov 01, 2018, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by floquet
Perfect, finally that's out in the open. I would be happy to fly these instead of F5J. My guess is the cost would be around 1/3 to 1/2 what a 4m plane costs, hence lowering the entry hurdle. Can we make a new class for these? .
We actually came up with a class for 2 meter and under. Recently we had people performing well with 2 meter radians (against more expensive models like q12x). Check out the rules here: http://gdshs.org/tales-event-rules.htm
Nov 02, 2018, 12:39 AM
Hugh Blackburn
Thanks that looks like a good starting point.
Nov 02, 2018, 01:55 AM
Tailspin
No need to invent the event, already done. Check out TALES at www.gdshs.org.

Going through a voting process for changes for 2019 as we speak. Looks like some minor changes to simplify the landing area and other tweaks. Nothing too major to the flying stuff.
Nov 02, 2018, 04:27 AM
E Thermal Hack & Vtail Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by floquet
Perfect, finally that's out in the open. I would be happy to fly these instead of F5J. My guess is the cost would be around 1/3 to 1/2 what a 4m plane costs, hence lowering the entry hurdle. Can we make a new class for these? Seriously. We could adopt/adapt many of the standard non-turnaround F3K tasks, say with max 100m launch and use F5J-type engine-run penalties. Without much trouble you could use the same wing and tail for F3K and F5J planes.
Sounds like a GREAT format. Lower launches, smaller less expensive planes, what could be better?
Nov 02, 2018, 11:50 PM
Great combo
Nov 03, 2018, 07:56 AM
Time for me to Fly...
I have two electric DLG projects that I’m in the planning stages of right now. Both are for TALES competition. If anyone knows more about that motor and the spinner/prop, I’d love to hear about it.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Nov 04, 2018, 08:46 PM
Interesting that it looks like the motor is mounted in front of the firewall.
Nov 04, 2018, 11:23 PM
launch low, fly high
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkelley
I just copy pasted from Vladimir Model Facebook post. Vladimir probably has the only one right now.

There is a class for small electric powered soaring aircraft in China, that appears to have gotten rather popular there. The eSnipe (or whatever they call it) has been doing rather well this year. Eventually, news of the aircraft will show up elsewhere... From what I understand, there have been more than a few that have been manufactured and flown. Okay, many is a slightly better descriptor!
Nov 04, 2018, 11:27 PM
launch low, fly high
As to F5J with more limited span... this is a very interesting idea. The challenge is that the final result points towards ever better eyesight. I really like the increased challenges that result from the lower performance that comes from the smaller wingspan. My older eyes worry about the increased challenges of keeping the plane within visual range!
Nov 05, 2018, 05:22 AM
Hugh Blackburn
Need to find more than one piece of lift per flight ... or make the tasks shorter. Or both.

Quick Reply