Sep 14, 2019, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123
Well yeah. If its possible. I'm thinking more like 160-170mph as a goal
a 36mm Leopard motor can push a FJU over 200mph, I think your 36mm MEGA motor will push your FJU faster
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2019, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac
I would like to add, Multiplex has a winning formula with the funjet, it will fly on low powered set ups, up to extreme speed power plants, so far I have not found anything to compete with the funjet on quality, price, and overall performance.
Winning formula or not, the minimum change it received doesn't warranty a FJ2 label. Hack, most company don't even bump the V1~V2 number for so little of a change.

Multiplex is a very stagnant company. End of story.
Sep 15, 2019, 08:07 PM
Fully Sending It
Thread OP
There will always be haters in every crowd, fortunately for them (and us) there are other places they can voice their disapproval in that prevent the thread from being derailed over senseless bickering. Multiplex has an incredibly high quality product that costs money to manufacture because they prefer to keep as much of it German-Made as possible. It is not always cost-effective to completely overhaul the entire aircraft, especially one that has been around for many years. If they can offer improved graphics, small changes here and there, and an improved power setup, all the while re-using a number of their molds, AND keeping the cost right around where the original model was, then this in my opinion is plenty of justification to offer the airframe in a V2 format.

There has been models in the past from various manufacturers that have offered less changes and a higher price tag, then offered in a "V2" format, that received as much praise. At least Multiplex took the time to make actual changes to the airframe, and ontop of all of this, re-release a classic model that's not hell bent for speed.
Sep 15, 2019, 08:52 PM
Yeah yeah, same old i heard every time. If the company is at all competent, why come up with something new for a change. How many product does HH or HK come up each year. how many does multiplex.

Anyway, I'm sure some will be happy FJ/FJU is no-longer discontinued. It's a stretch to call it FJ2 though.

BTW, I'm not a hater of multiplex. I fly the zipper and the dogfighter regularly and they are among my favorite planes. Every time Multiplex come up with something new, I watched with interest. Unfortunately, it's all been disappointments lately. Such minor change in 10 years its laughable.
Sep 16, 2019, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesd
Yeah yeah, same old i heard every time. If the company is at all competent, why come up with something new for a change. How many product does HH or HK come up each year. how many does multiplex.

Anyway, I'm sure some will be happy FJ/FJU is no-longer discontinued. It's a stretch to call it FJ2 though.

BTW, I'm not a hater of multiplex. I fly the zipper and the dogfighter regularly and they are among my favorite planes. Every time Multiplex come up with something new, I watched with interest. Unfortunately, it's all been disappointments lately. Such minor change in 10 years its laughable.
Does Hobbyking actually manufacture their own plane like Multiplex do?

If not, its a huuuge difference between doing all the reseach, design, producing etc compare to just put an other label on it like I have seen HK do many many times...

I have had several of the Multiplex line of planes over the years and I have never been dissapointed. They are not a mega-huge company but all the stuff they put on the market is high class. Not so from HK....
Last edited by tritan; Sep 16, 2019 at 01:12 AM.
Sep 16, 2019, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan
Does Hobbyking actually manufacture their own plane like Multiplex do?

If not, its a huuuge difference between doing all the reseach, design, producing etc compare to just put an other label on it like I have seen HK do many many times...

I have had several of the Multiplex line of planes over the years and I have never been dissapointed. They are not a mega-huge company but all the stuff they put on the market is high class. Not so from HK....
I think a reasonable percentage of HK models are unique to them ... certainly the Durafly and Avios brands are, and the quality seems OK considering they are at the budget end of the market. I have a Tundra and an HU-16 Albatross and have been pretty pleased with both of those. I'm currently putting together a Durafly EFX Racer ... can't fault the quality so far, and it was 40% less than a Multiplex Funracer (UK prices). I also have a 2.6M Volantex ASW28 from HK which flies great - the closest Multiplex equivalent would be the 2.4M Heron in RR form, which is well over three times the price

I am actually a Multiplex fan - I still use a Multiplex Royal Evo transmitter, and have had four of their foam models including three of the 'Jet' series (Pico Jet, Twin Jet, Micro Jet). But there's a lot more choice/competition out there nowadays.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Sep 16, 2019, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
I think a reasonable percentage of HK models are unique to them ... certainly the Durafly and Avios brands are, and the quality seems OK considering they are at the budget end of the market. I have a Tundra and an HU-16 Albatross and have been pretty pleased with both of those. I'm currently putting together a Durafly EFX Racer ... can't fault the quality so far, and it was 40% less than a Multiplex Funracer (UK prices). I also have a 2.6M Volantex ASW28 from HK which flies great - the closest Multiplex equivalent would be the 2.4M Heron in RR form, which is well over three times the price

I am actually a Multiplex fan - I still use a Multiplex Royal Evo transmitter, and have had four of their foam models including three of the 'Jet' series (Pico Jet, Twin Jet, Micro Jet). But there's a lot more choice/competition out there nowadays.
I also have a Volantex ASW28 , bought from Banggood, and there was many reasons why I bought it instead of the Heron, the fuselage being much roomier, more scale like etc.... of course there is a price diff but there are actually a couple of things that are not ok with the ASW28 such as the incidence problem with the stabilizer, cheap (as in low quality) motor and esc, servos also low end quality etc etc...

Me also being a fan of Multiplex doesnt mean that I dont fly other models - I just pointed out that there is a big diff between a German manufacturer and an Asian one.
Sep 16, 2019, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan
I also have a Volantex ASW28 , bought from Banggood, and there was many reasons why I bought it instead of the Heron, the fuselage being much roomier, more scale like etc.... of course there is a price diff but there are actually a couple of things that are not ok with the ASW28 such as the incidence problem with the stabilizer, cheap (as in low quality) motor and esc, servos also low end quality etc etc...

Me also being a fan of Multiplex doesnt mean that I dont fly other models - I just pointed out that there is a big diff between a German manufacturer and an Asian one.
Very few models are perfect though ... the MPX ones I've had certainly weren't! The original Twin Star had a habit of shedding the wing in flight - they revised the fixing, but I still had the front plate de-laminate on mine (fortunately I got it down in one piece). The Pico Jet had servo linkages that were so flexible it had almost no down elevon throw in flight - they later changed from fus. to wing-mounted servos to address this. The Twin Jet had excessive reflex in the wing and motor nacelles that were prone to cracking - again some changes were made to later versions. The Micro Jet had a few handling quirks ... mine pitched up and down in loops, so it went round in a series of 'steps' rather than a smooth curve (yet outside loops were perfect). And at certain speeds the nose would even nod gently up and down in normal forward flight - speed up or slow down and this stopped.

I'm also not convinced the electronics provided nowadays by MPX with their RR models are significantly higher quality - I would guess they are all generic Chinese items under the labels. Touch wood I've not had anything fail in a cheap ARTF from HK yet (my ASW is 2 years old and the Tundra nearly 3), and the ASW's motor is still quiet & smooth despite running it on a much bigger prop than standard (12x8) from day 1! My EFX Racer has digital servos all round (MG on the ailerons), ball links on all surfaces, 60A ESC with 5A BEC, really nice alloy spinner, etc.

Bottom line ... IMHO MPX models are generally pretty nice, but you do pay a significant premium for this so it's worth looking at other options as well. Some other ARTFs are certainly quite nasty, but others are not far off (or even equal to) MPX quality for a lot less money. Even if (for example) you were to replace a few servos for peace of mind.
Sep 16, 2019, 08:34 AM
You down with EPP?
While some MPX prices are a bit steep, the Funjet is not one of them.

It's like $80 for a rocket ship capable of 150mph without exploding.

Horizon hobby trash is not even in the same ballpark. And they never offer ARF's much less halfway decent hardware.
Sep 16, 2019, 08:47 AM
The Acromaster V1 had a very weak motor mount which required sigificant strenghtenings, the Parkmaster V1 had an extremly weak landing gear and no tail wheel so the rudder got damaged when landing.... but on the other hand, I always modify every plane I buy nowadays to suit my requirements...
Sep 16, 2019, 08:49 AM
Quote:

Horizon hobby trash is not even in the same ballpark. And they never offer ARF's much less halfway decent hardware.
Yes , I am also pretty surprised at the very low price for the Funjet V2 kit!
Sep 16, 2019, 10:32 AM
At least one UK retailer has both the FunJet Ultra 2 kit and the original Ultra in stock, with the Ultra 2 being cheaper?!
Sep 16, 2019, 01:11 PM
All MPX price are steep. 10 years ago it may be justified due to design cost. 10 years later they've mode 0 change hence 0 design cost. The entire cost to them is just making a piece of foam based on old molds.

Yes, Funjet for $80 isn't too bad relatively speaking. Just calling it a FJ2 brings some expectations which it certainly did not meet.

Quote:

Sep 16, 2019, 01:19 PM
IMO multiplex planes are overpriced. But that's not even my concern. The company simply isn't healthy enough to sustain any new development. It only regurgitates on 10+ year old models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
Very few models are perfect though ... the MPX ones I've had certainly weren't! The original Twin Star had a habit of shedding the wing in flight - they revised the fixing, but I still had the front plate de-laminate on mine (fortunately I got it down in one piece). The Pico Jet had servo linkages that were so flexible it had almost no down elevon throw in flight - they later changed from fus. to wing-mounted servos to address this. The Twin Jet had excessive reflex in the wing and motor nacelles that were prone to cracking - again some changes were made to later versions. The Micro Jet had a few handling quirks ... mine pitched up and down in loops, so it went round in a series of 'steps' rather than a smooth curve (yet outside loops were perfect). And at certain speeds the nose would even nod gently up and down in normal forward flight - speed up or slow down and this stopped.

I'm also not convinced the electronics provided nowadays by MPX with their RR models are significantly higher quality - I would guess they are all generic Chinese items under the labels. Touch wood I've not had anything fail in a cheap ARTF from HK yet (my ASW is 2 years old and the Tundra nearly 3), and the ASW's motor is still quiet & smooth despite running it on a much bigger prop than standard (12x8) from day 1! My EFX Racer has digital servos all round (MG on the ailerons), ball links on all surfaces, 60A ESC with 5A BEC, really nice alloy spinner, etc.

Bottom line ... IMHO MPX models are generally pretty nice, but you do pay a significant premium for this so it's worth looking at other options as well. Some other ARTFs are certainly quite nasty, but others are not far off (or even equal to) MPX quality for a lot less money. Even if (for example) you were to replace a few servos for peace of mind.
Sep 16, 2019, 04:06 PM
Fully Sending It
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesd
10 years later they've mode 0 change hence 0 design cost. The entire cost to them is just making a piece of foam based on old molds.
They have to keep costs down somehow, fortunately they've done their engineering incredibly well on past models, so when they breathe new life into them (AcroMaster PRO, for example), they still fly amazing and benefit from the small tweaks they inevitably make.
Last edited by Xpress..; Sep 16, 2019 at 09:34 PM.

Quick Reply