This thread is privately moderated by Blaze0021, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 30, 2018, 11:38 AM
Thread OP
Video

Force RC F/A-18 Blue Angels V2 64mm EDF Jet Solo Flight

This is the first recorded flight of my Force RC F/A-18 Blue Angels V2 64mm EDF Jet.

Force RC F/A-18 Blue Angels V2 64mm EDF Jet Solo Flight (4 min 31 sec)

I challenged my flying buddy Robert to capture the footage on his iPhone on 1080p at 60fps. I told him.. "surprise me." For someone that typically doesn't video any flights, I was very surprised that he actually did a great job capturing the flight. He even zoomed in a few times for some close-up action.

My Force RC F/A-18 Blue Angels V2 64mm EDF Jet was what I would call, initially a Problem Child. Issues with incorrect manual information, incorrect CG information, and defective electronics were all points of frustration for this model. But because I am a fan of the F/A-18 Hornet / Super Hornet, the success of this aircraft was a must. So I decided to sort through all the issues.

Thanks to the RC Groups Dedicated Thread, I researched and corrected all the issues.. specifically the biggest issue being with the manual's recommended CG range of 80-85mm back from the leading edge of the main wing. Reading the CG horror stories within the RC Groups Dedicated Thread, I opted to never fly it at that the manual's recommended CG range and chose to fly the aircraft with a CG of 63mm back from the leading edge of the main wing. This was achieved with my Pulse 4S 2250mAh 45C Lipo (243 grams) placed aftmost within the compartment and with the front of the battery wedged with a foam block. The foam ledges that the lipo sits on have been reinforced with credit card plastic material and have been epoxied, creating a durable ledge for the lipo to rest on. I also added (1) 7-gram Square Fe Weight in the front nose compartment for ballast. With this, I've found a 63mm CG to be spot on with flight characteristics.

Then during the early flights, I encountered issues with a faulty stock Eflite 40-Amp ESC that was causing throttle shutdowns mid-flight. Both times it happened, I was lucky enough to land the aircraft safely. I immediately tossed the stock ESC and replaced it with a new Hitec Energy Sport 40-Amp ESC with a 2-Amp SBEC. I have not had any throttle malfunctions since then.

I also ditched the ridiculous stock foam side missiles in favor of Freewing F/A-18 64mm Wingtip Pylons that I spray painted with a matching yellow.

Please see attached photos. This is an excellent model, and one that really shines (especially with 3 spray coats of Minwax Semi-Gloss Polycrylic) when you can get past all of the initial issues. Research, patience, and attention to details made this plane well worth it for me.

Blue Six is currently the favorite in my fleet of 95 aircraft.

Hope you enjoy the video and flight footage!

MODIFICATIONS:

1) (1) 7-gram Square Fe Weight in the front nose compartment for ballast.
2) Hitec Energy Sport 40-Amp ESC w/ 2-Amp SBEC.
3) Custom-painted Freewing F/A-18 64mm Wingtip Pylons.
4) Minwax Semi-Gloss Finish Polycrylic Spray Triple Coated Airframe: Maximum paint and finish protection.

TRANSMITTER, RECEIVER, & SETUP:

Transmitter: Spektrum DX8 G2
Receiver: Lemon RX DSMX 7-Channel Diversity Stabilizer / Receiver
Rates Used: 93% Aileron / 23% Expo, 90% Elevator / 30% Expo
Center of Gravity: 63mm back from the leading edge of the main wing
Battery: Pulse 4S 2250mAh 45C Lipo
Throttle Timer: 3:40 Minutes
Total Flight Time: 3 Minute(s), 29 Second(s)
Lipo Final Voltage: 15.22 Volts out of 16.80 Volts (~3.81 Volts / Cell) at 34%

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Camera: iPhone 7 at 1080P / 60 FPS
Cameraman: Robert

Thanks for watching!
Last edited by Blaze0021; Nov 02, 2018 at 12:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2018, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the review. I just ordered one this morning.
Dec 09, 2018, 12:35 PM
Flying with a "higher power"
Great looking F-18 with the Polycrylic semi gloss. Did you feel the need to cover the servos, linkages, clear plastic canopy before your sprayed the semi-gloss on your bird?

Thanks for all of the other tips and photos as well. This bird is a great vale for $120 with a new generation Spektrum Rx even if it has to be modified a bit to make it air worthy.

Quick Reply