Losi 1/6 Super Rock Rey 4WD

This thing looks like a beast of a truck capable of 50+ MPH, up to 8S Lipo batteries, AVC stabilization tech and DSMR.

Splash

Super Sized Rock Rey!!!

I love the Rock Rey and you can see my thoughts on the original 10th scale model here. There is a larger version coming this December with the Losi 1/6 Super Rock Rey 4WD. This thing looks like a beast of a truck capable of 50+ MPH, up to 8S Lipo batteries, AVC stabilization tech and DSMR. It can handle tough terrain and jumps with plenty of power to plow through whatever you can throw at it. The large tires and new front end geometry increase suspension travel and improve performance and it really stands out with the new roll cage and body. The Losi 1/6 Super Rock Rey is available for pre-order right now and it should arrive in time for Christmas at price of $799.99.

Optional Add-Ons Available:

• Speedometer Add-On - See your speed in real time and record top speed.
  • Spektrum FPV Mount - Install an FPV system for a different experience.
  • Spektrum Dashboard Mobile App - View speed, temps battery voltage and more.

Check out the Losi 1/6 Super Rock Rey 4WD Here

Oct 30, 2018, 11:33 AM
Looks awesome. I'm guessing this is the Traxxas UDR competition?
Latest blog entry: Life Updates :)
Oct 30, 2018, 02:00 PM
Have you seen my LVC?
I think the SBR would be for a head to head for the UDR...

I've been avoiding the whole large scale RC, and these solid rear axle cars just don't do it for me as a basher RC... but -

I find I have the wants for this one... But $800, I doubt I'll pull the trigger.
Oct 31, 2018, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryRigged
I think the SBR would be for a head to head for the UDR...

I've been avoiding the whole large scale RC, and these solid rear axle cars just don't do it for me as a basher RC... but -

I find I have the wants for this one... But $800, I doubt I'll pull the trigger.
Same here. I want a big scale but feel between lipos and parts they are expensive to maintain. Not to mention harder to transport and they need a huge area to really run to their full potential. 1/8 scale for me is plenty big.

Also not sure how I feel about this whole "scale basher" thing. I get it for crawlers and enjoy that myself, but for $800 I want something I can beat the heck out of and not break, not something that looks scale going over small bumps lol.

Once these are on eBay you could use a discount code eBay does every month or so and get $100 off (usually 15/20% off with a max $100 discount). But still, $700 is a LOT of money for a truck! I'd rather take that and buy several used RCs, but it would be a good deal for anyone wanting to buy one of these.

I'm looking forward to seeing some head to head racing/bashing/reviews with the UDR!
Nov 04, 2018, 06:44 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Looks like we're all in the same boat lol
Nov 09, 2018, 08:27 AM

already have one of these

Since I was invited by Horizon Hobby to test drive the Super Rock Rey at Badlands offroad park with them before it was released, I already own one of their pre-production vehicles. This one is an absolute blast to drive. I wrote the review for Big Squid RC, but they have not yet set it online.
Yes, this car is huge and bringing it home on a plane was not an easy task, but it is so much fun to drive and also durable as hell. With all that weight, something is going to break eventually when going big, but that is true for most RCs. As long as the things that break are easy to replace and spare parts are easily available, I do not see a big deal. If you liked the Super Baja Rey (which I did) you will love this one, too.
Nov 10, 2018, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
...I'm looking forward to seeing some head to head racing/bashing/reviews with the UDR!
I was hoping to find that comparison in this thread
Nov 17, 2018, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Chong
Since I was invited by Horizon Hobby to test drive the Super Rock Rey at Badlands offroad park with them before it was released, I already own one of their pre-production vehicles. This one is an absolute blast to drive. I wrote the review for Big Squid RC, but they have not yet set it online.
Yes, this car is huge and bringing it home on a plane was not an easy task, but it is so much fun to drive and also durable as hell. With all that weight, something is going to break eventually when going big, but that is true for most RCs. As long as the things that break are easy to replace and spare parts are easily available, I do not see a big deal. If you liked the Super Baja Rey (which I did) you will love this one, too.
How does the suspension compare to the Baja Rey? Greater range? More supple/responsive?
Nov 23, 2018, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
Same here. I want a big scale but feel between lipos and parts they are expensive to maintain. Not to mention harder to transport and they need a huge area to really run to their full potential. 1/8 scale for me is plenty big.

Also not sure how I feel about this whole "scale basher" thing. I get it for crawlers and enjoy that myself, but for $800 I want something I can beat the heck out of and not break, not something that looks scale going over small bumps lol.

Once these are on eBay you could use a discount code eBay does every month or so and get $100 off (usually 15/20% off with a max $100 discount). But still, $700 is a LOT of money for a truck! I'd rather take that and buy several used RCs, but it would be a good deal for anyone wanting to buy one of these.

I'm looking forward to seeing some head to head racing/bashing/reviews with the UDR!

What would you recommend in the 1/8 size?
Nov 23, 2018, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyice
What would you recommend in the 1/8 size?
Oh man that is a loaded question

It all depends on budget, what you plan to do with it (bash, race, etc), if you have a local hobby shop for parts support or do online part ordering, etc.

For general bashing around the yard I would say to get an Arrma truck. They are starting to get a very large following and have proven themselves to be very fast and durable. I don't have one (beyond my budget) but have seen many good reviews on them. Should have local parts support as well.

As far as my own experience, I'd say get a thunder tiger MT4 G3. 1/8 monster truggy (monster truck tires and ground clearance with buggy chassis, so lower COG) that is famous for being extremely durable. Parts will be harder to find locally (if at all) but plenty on eBay.

I would recommend starting a separate thread in the off road section here and you will get lots of help. There are dozens of 1/8 scale to chose from, all with their own pros and cons!
Nov 23, 2018, 09:00 PM
Thank you, sir! I may just start a new thread.

Wouldn’t be for racing. Would be for Bashing at the park and the beach, etc. was hoping for that Yeti XL but since you’re in that thread you’re aware of that situation. 🤣

This super rock Rey looks sweet. Haven’t handled the 1/10th scale in-person but maybe that would be a good start. How does the Arrma hold up? Could they handle some light rocks? Or is that not really their forte?
Nov 24, 2018, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyice
Thank you, sir! I may just start a new thread.

Wouldn’t be for racing. Would be for Bashing at the park and the beach, etc. was hoping for that Yeti XL but since you’re in that thread you’re aware of that situation. ��

This super rock Rey looks sweet. Haven’t handled the 1/10th scale in-person but maybe that would be a good start. How does the Arrma hold up? Could they handle some light rocks? Or is that not really their forte?
I would recommend that for sure (starting a new thread) as many more people will see it and help you.

But as far as light rocks, if you mean gravel driveway then any 1/10 or bigger 4x4 will work great on it for the most part.

For big rocks, then I'd say a rock crawler would be your best bet, but they max out at like 12-15 mph max. So not good bashers for speed.

This truck in this thread would be fun on smaller rocks as well as grass, sand, etc. But it's new so not many reviews out yet I'd imagine.

Arrma is usually really tough but they don't have a rock type truck, more of the grass/pavement/dirt type trucks.
Dec 28, 2018, 04:12 AM
Hey guys, just joined the forums. Looking to pick up a Super Rock Rey Myself! Cant wait! The first reviews and vids have popped up in the past few days, looks simply AWESOME!
Jan 02, 2019, 12:47 PM
Best Super Rock Rey action I have come across so far on YouTube:
Losi - Super Rock Rey | Jumps Donuts and Slowmotion (5 min 52 sec)
Jan 03, 2019, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallacEngineer
Hey guys, just joined the forums. Looking to pick up a Super Rock Rey Myself! Cant wait! The first reviews and vids have popped up in the past few days, looks simply AWESOME!
Welcome to the forums!!

I agree it does look awesome, but I am still not sold on the solid rear axle thing. I guess I'm just not used to them except on crawlers.

Good video, but they overdid the slo-mo. I wanted to see it rip! It looks very scale flying through the air, I'll give it that.

I would love to see a video of it head to head with the UDR around a scale type, that would be awesome.

Quick Reply