Dec 29, 2004, 03:43 PM
Thread OP
Question

Steve Nolan (eBird) -- Please help me choose a brushless power system

Okay, after flying my Slow Stick for two months, I'm ready to spend the dough (roughly $150 for the motor/gearbox/ESC combo) to upgrade to a brushless / LiPo setup.

I know from an earlier post, you use a PJS 800 motor (I'm not sure what that is), with a Tanic 2150 (3s?) pack.

I just spent a bunch of dough on an Air Devil P-38 kit. It uses Himax 2025-4200 motors, with a Cobri 20 gearbox (5.61:1 ratio), Phoenix 25 ESC, and Tanic 3s 2150 LiPo. I would LIKE to keep with the same equipment so I have interchangable parts.

On the other hand, I like the idea of getting away from the gearbox... Does the PJS 800 motor require a gearbox?

I have a small stash of GWS 1390 props I use currently -- I'd like to continue to use those, if possible, but it's not the end of the world if I need to move on to something else...

I'll be hauling a Pentax Optio S40 camera. I think that's all the information I can give you... Can you please help me choose a good power system? I've only been doing this for about two months now, and I want to make sure I get it right the first time.

Thanks so much,
Guy
Last edited by Red 61; Dec 29, 2004 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Subscribed to my own thread. Duh! :P
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2004, 04:52 PM
I know steve will chime in here but my suggestion is to get the PJS 800 and use plugs to hook it to the ESC and then put plugs on your PX25 and then you can leave the PJS on the SS and just switch the ESC, pretty easy. The battery will work from your P-38 real well. I see you only having to buy the PJS800 and some plugs, Hobby-Lobby has some nice plugs you can get along with getting the motor there. The plugs are MJ21021 and you get three sets, you need more than three sets cause you'll need to put them on the P-38 motor also. I use these plugs on all my stuff, the small ones on the 12amp and under and the medium ones for anything in the 20 - 25 amp range.

Check out the Hobby Lobby site and then maybe shop around for the motor, maybe you can get it cheaper else where cause I see they want $98 for it. The value of out $ has done that for us...

I'm sure Steve has some input but I chime in here because I use the PJS800 on my SS camera plane and its perfect. No gear box...

Gene
Dec 29, 2004, 05:18 PM
Thread OP
Hmmm... To put it simply, I guess my main question is, "What prop would I put with the following setup to haul a Pentax Optio S40?"

PJS 800 motor
Tanic 3s 2150 LiPo
Phoenix 25 ESC

...and a follow-up question is, "What gearbox/prop combo would I use with the following setup to haul a Pentax Optio S40?"

Himax 2025-4200 motor
Tanic 3s 2150 LiPo
Phoenix 25 ESC

Sorry to make it so complicated before -- lots of people tell me I'm "windy"...
Dec 29, 2004, 05:33 PM
Yep, they're right.

My setup goes at 30 oz and I use the APC Electric Flight 10 x 5 prop, amp draw under full power is around 20 amps but it's hauling the SS close to straight up.

I cannot suggest a prop for the gear drive, don't know much about that one. I really like the PJS800 because it's so smooth and quiet. You will need to balance the prop real well as you're turning up pretty good RPM and to take pictures while under power, the way mine are all taken, requires a good balance job on the prop.
Dec 29, 2004, 09:15 PM
Gene,, How much flight time do you get with the PJS 800 and 2150 batteries?
I am assumeing it is a 3 cell pack?????
Ron
Dec 29, 2004, 09:43 PM
Ron,

I get probably more than 10 mins, more time than I need to shoot lots of pictures. I use Tanic 2600 3S packs. I do have a 2200 and it's fine also, little shorter duration but most often I'm down before the pack shows any drop because I play it real safe.
Jan 01, 2005, 11:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquewon
I get probably more than 10 mins, more time than I need to shoot lots of pictures. I use Tanic 2600 3S packs. I do have a 2200 and it's fine also, little shorter duration but most often I'm down before the pack shows any drop because I play it real safe.
Is that 10 minutes at full power (WOT), or are you using some throttle management?
Jan 02, 2005, 11:31 AM
All posts Copyright '07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Hmmm... To put it simply, I guess my main question is, "What prop would I put with the following setup to haul a Pentax Optio S40?"

PJS 800 motor
Tanic 3s 2150 LiPo
Phoenix 25 ESC

...and a follow-up question is, "What gearbox/prop combo would I use with the following setup to haul a Pentax Optio S40?"

Himax 2025-4200 motor
Tanic 3s 2150 LiPo
Phoenix 25 ESC

Sorry to make it so complicated before -- lots of people tell me I'm "windy"...
With the same PJS/ESC setup, I use an 11x4.7
Jan 02, 2005, 01:26 PM

Wot Not

I only use full throttle for a few seconds during takeoff, the rest is half or less. Remember,the setup has PLENTY of power, needed to climb out of tight spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Is that 10 minutes at full power (WOT), or are you using some throttle management?
Jan 02, 2005, 02:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquewon
I only use full throttle for a few seconds during takeoff, the rest is half or less. Remember,the setup has PLENTY of power, needed to climb out of tight spots.
Hmmm -- I was really hopeing for more flight time than that... I'm getting at least 10 minute flight times out of my 8-cell 1050 mah KAN pack. I figured doubling the mah to a 3s 2150 mah LiPo pack would roughly double my flight time...
Jan 02, 2005, 04:15 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
I get very satisfactory flight times out of my Tanic 2150 packs.
I generally fly two 15 minute AP sorties with one battery. When charging, the battery rarely accepts more than 1400 mah meaning I had quite a bit to spare.

The PJS does not use a gearbox, which is a primary reason I love this motor. Very quiet and powerful.
I use an APC 11x7 prop which is ideal for me. It pulls about 18 amps WOT (20 initally then drops pretty rapidly to a steady 17-18amps). HUGE power.

You don't want to use those GWS 13x9 props with the PJS.

I don't own a Himax motor, but I had really good results with a similar motor, the miniAC 1215/16. I used that motor with a planetary 6:1 gearbox and a GWS 13x9 prop on my AP Slowstick with great results. I just feel that, with the PJS, there's one less thing to go wrong (no gearbox) and so that increases the reliability of the whole system somewhat.

I'm just real partial to the PJS800 and Tanic 2150 setup. It's very solid, quiet, powerful, and I get long flight times.
Jan 02, 2005, 05:56 PM
I get the exact same results as Steve!
Excellent setup. No gearbox hassle and easy to mount, very low noise, plenty of power for those gusty sorties, and low vibration.

I love being able to drop my plane down on a sidewalk, street, parking lot, etc.. Rocket into the air in about a 3ft rollout and once its about 70-100ft up it's virtually silent! People walking, jogging by, in their homes look at me and wonder what is that guy looking at! They can't hear a thing so they can't find anything in the air. I just look like some crazy guy outside, hehe

You will be happy w/ this setup.

Matt
Jan 02, 2005, 06:14 PM

I've been lurkin....I need an upgrade!

OK.....been kind of watching this link.....and it sounds like the Slow Stik is a pretty good AP platform. I have the PJS 800, and 3 cell Kokams.....I guess I need the plane, and the camera. I have been using the Aiptek 1.3 mega camera, but for all the effort, my photos don't compare to the likes of Mr Nolans!!!

I need an upgrade for AP!

Are you guys using a Pentax Optio S4 with an electronic switch or mechanical servo?

Is the Slow Stik the platform of choice? Where's a good place to get it?

I know there are others, but it seems pretty simple. I know there are some mods to be done for AP with it.

thanks.....

When I grow up...I wanna take photos like ebird
Ralph Matile
Jan 02, 2005, 06:57 PM
I am using a Nikon 4200 w/ a servo. I've been really happy with the results from this camera, but I still have a lot to learn about it and how to post good crisp pics at 100k. I just got the Adobe Photoshop Elements software and so far its great!!

It's very hard to beat the SS in lightwind conditions! When the winds get above 10mph it can get a little frustrating at times. Although, with a co-pilot on board these winds can be managed a little bit. It can also give you nice level pictures.

There are quite a few people selling SS kits on the FS forum! Otherwise order from www.allerc.com and I know there are others but I'm not sure the prices are much different.

The Nikon 3700 takes excellent shots which alot of people seem very happy with. It can also be found at a good price.

Good Luck,
Matt
Last edited by RCFEVER; Jan 02, 2005 at 07:04 PM.
Jan 02, 2005, 07:19 PM
I also use a PJS 800, but i use a 3s 2480, and i easily get around 15-20 minute flights.

This is with a full throttle climb out to 650 feet, then i throttle back, take pictures until my neck hurts, decend to about 100 feet, and take more pictures..

Plenty of picture time..

ash

Quick Reply