Jun 07, 2019, 05:46 PM
Thread OP
Flew with a Turnigy 3s-1.8 (more like a 3s-2200 at 5.5oz). With the battery fully forward, the CG was a hair in front of the wing crank, which is what Pontius (Terry) reported using in his build. First launch climbed out excessively, where down trim did not seem to be the solution. Not really flyable but interestingly it was still quite controllable, sinking down and landing it at a high alpha, a good ways into the field. Took the same stomped path I used to retrieve a ME262 the other day and tripped in a groundhog hole that I must have missed before, pulling the weeds out to not hit it during the return trip. That flight is here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=413

Got a small ziplocked bag of change from the car, and added 1 quarter, 2 nickels, and 1 dime to the front of the battery tray, wrapped around the front of the battery. Not much weight and not far forward of the CG location, but it seemed to do the job. Apparently the CG was just a bit aft before. Small stab = narrow CG range, which was a main concern of this model. A bit tricky launching the model while holding the transmitter, but I will never, ever use a launch assistant. Seen far too many fails, and hand launching is a lefty's specialty. Just the mere bit of spare change added from the first launch made it noticeably more difficult to handle and launch, while gripped behind the wing.

Far less than full power is required for flight. The 7000kv QX fans have a smooth sound, for a 32mm fan. Handling is excellent. Actually quite easy to fly. The rudder is mixed with the ailerons, although with the thick fin and non-socketed hinging, it doesn't move far to either side or it will clash. To alleviate that problem and allow maximum mixing, I used overload springs on the rudder linkage at the servo. I had some concern about adverse aileron, which proved not to be an issue. Not having a free channel for diff-ail, there's a bit of mechanical differential used, and the ailerons were reflexed upward somewhere between 1-1.5mm.

This model does not slow well and the glide is forever. Tall weeds made it convenient to simply give it a nudge down into the tall grass, while right in front of me. With a short grass field, I'd probably want at least 150 yards. As always the microphone on this camera is sensitive, making the soft grass landing sound like a crash. My hearing is still 100%, and the train in the background is not that loud in reality. Closest point of the tracks is 1 mile away, if not a bit more. Started flight with the battery at about 12.4V and finished at 11.55V.

Handley Page Victor 46.5" span QX 30mm EDF (2 min 39 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2019, 06:23 PM
That flies well and Quickly too.. All your work is rewarded.
Sadly the video doesn't really do it the justice it merits .. becoming mostly a blur flying by... soon after launching.
Was wondering if some type of cheapo video camera that can do 1080... might Showcase your models .. a bit more ably ?
Couple of moments looking found this ( ~8 $ and being in Eyeglass format will be pointing (in theory at least :-) at what/where the wearer is looking at?
Inspectors Gadget or Clouseau would be delighted

; https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mini-HD-1080....c100005.m1851.
Jun 07, 2019, 08:36 PM
Thread OP
Thanks. New camera one of these days for sure. The "hat cam" in a pair of glasses is a practical idea. Main hold back is just the tech effort of getting something new up and running. Downloads, edits, and uploads don't always work as smoothly as advertised, and require a bit of tinkering sometimes. The camera I have should be much better. My videos seemed to have deteriorated some years ago when You Tube started giving a message saying that they didn't recognize the format, but would still try to process it. They always processed, but at lower quality.
Jun 07, 2019, 09:55 PM
Big gov never Works
Congrats, Bill! Actually sounded pretty nice in the vid. Probably nicer in real life. I've noticed, a lot of white sound is not always picked up by the vid sound, in my flights. It usually pics up whine better.

Fuzz
Jun 07, 2019, 10:19 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Fuzz. The fans were part of the motivation for the build, as the QX fans sounded good in the TU104, as well as performance. I think the fans being buried further in the intakes makes them sound even better with this model. I give a lot of credit to these little fans.
Jun 08, 2019, 04:30 AM
The pin-vice has run off again
Great to see that it flew so well. Love the sound on the vids too - always seem to hear lots of birds in your vids - they didn't seem at all bothered by the flight and knew everything was under control - more than can be said for our learner sparrows trying to fly from the roof of our house at the moment. every now and then one plummets down in front of the window.
Jun 08, 2019, 07:08 AM
That's one good looking and flying model , your build techniques are superb. I must try to build lighter so will try 1/6 and 1/32 wood thickness on my next model very impressed you can build such a large model using it
Jun 08, 2019, 11:02 AM
Pro Hoarder
Super! it flys great...The fans sound butter smooth..Nice work
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jun 08, 2019, 12:01 PM
Design.Build.Fly
Congrats. Looks and sounds good Your 45 cent CG fix had me Thats something I would do.
I would love to see to see your Victor fly off of a hard surface sometime since you took the time to design in retracts.
Jun 08, 2019, 01:32 PM
Thread OP
Thanks all
The park is quite a bird sanctuary. They seem to follow prop models more than EDF, maybe due to the sound. Sometimes they make good model spoofs in the videos, as they come into view. The light weight wood combination works well. I'm convinced much of the strength gain from 1/16" sheeting is required to carry the added load. The weight savings opens up an entirely new door for EDF, with cruise at 50-60W/lb, if not less with some models. I have some Microlite covering stashed, but hopefully someone will pick up production again. Great UK product that really makes the models. These QX fans have been 6 for 6 so far, running smooth straight out of the box. Seems one of their good points, as I haven't heard of any balance issues with them. Incredible turbine like sound for a small EDF. LOL on the 45 cents change fix. Almost wanted to add more, but the CG seemed close and fortunately it worked out. I may do a calculation to determine the lighter equivalent weight that could be added through the front retract doors into the fuse, requiring less weight for the same effect. As of now I just left the bag and change in the battery tray, with a note. I would like to try a ROG also, as it seems to have adequate power and lift, from level orientation. Landing should be no problem, as once I setup the final glide, I was off the elevator for the last few hundred feet. Very steady glide. I used the park road at one time for a GWS F15 and A10 among others in the past, until they added some poles and signs which makes it too risky.
Jun 09, 2019, 10:52 AM
The fantastic plane and build, congratulations!

Any plans for a next beauty :-) ?

Jan
Jun 09, 2019, 01:35 PM
Thread OP
Thanks. Not a jet, but the vintage hand cranked retractable landing gear look interesting on this subject. Printed a plan, got some micro limit switches, and bought a Williams Brothers cylinder last night so I'll have 7 cylinder halves, so it looks like I'm at least partially committed.
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f8&oe=5D9AC81F
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=199

Jun 09, 2019, 05:04 PM
Gosh, but that flies well Bill.

Hat cam is only better than fixed if it is pointing in line with your eyes. I have umpteen useless videos where you can hear but not see the model. Nothing to beat a zoom camera with a proper viewfinder and a cameraperson that has a feel for the likely flight pattern. All very tricky when you are on your own.

Alec
Jun 10, 2019, 08:41 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Alec
LOL I've seen a few of those aircraft absent hat cam and camera man filmed videos. I've taken a few where the aircraft in view was limited a good bit, but not completely absent. Got a pretty good feel now for how to orient the camera on the car roof, to catch most of the flight.
Jun 10, 2019, 11:49 PM
AWESOME!!! CONGRATS! She flies great! We need to find you a video man You gota have a wing man around somewhere that can film it.

Quick Reply