Oct 31, 2018, 08:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe
I'm thinking Mike may be referring to veteran model builders in his post.

Joe
Oops my bad was not totally awake this morning but thank you guys any way for the service and input you provide for guys like myself here!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2018, 06:36 PM
Thread OP

Right wing

Hello folks,
I left the ribs unglued so I could come home and double check everything and not feel rushed. Everything looked good so squared them up one at a time and tack glued with medium ca and no kicker. Then I used one of EJWash's ideas and used a syringe like a caulking gun around all joints ( thanks for the trick EJ). That's it for tonight been running up and down the stairs giving out candy been good night the bowl is almost empty
Thanks for your time
Brian
Last edited by Bwood310; Oct 31, 2018 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
Oct 31, 2018, 10:35 PM
It's cool and damp here today, at the New Mexico house packing stuff up. No trick-or-treaters in our semi-rural area.

That rib and spar arrangement was pretty common in early RC airplanes. Goldberg had several kits with that style of ribs and spars. I have seen it in lots of plans and its; just can recall which ones. I always thought it was an easy way to build but lacked the strength of upper and lower spar caps. With uppers and lowers they work in tension and compression. With the single central spar works against a bending moment.

Many full sized light planes of the tandem seat, fabric covered variety have a one piece spruce lumber spar going through holes in the wings without spar caps.
Nov 01, 2018, 04:44 AM
Thread OP
David,
I have a few Goldberg kits, my son and I each built eaglets about 5 years ago as our trainers wonderful plane they still get flown often. I also have a junior tiger and sky tiger,and superchipmunk kit in the bunch I will have to take a look at the tiger kits and see if this style is incorporated there. Sig kits are top notch haven't seen a bad design from them yet! Thank you for the info on the spar it is nice to learn something new to start the day off
Last edited by Bwood310; Nov 01, 2018 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Add on
Nov 01, 2018, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David2011
That rib and spar arrangement was pretty common in early RC airplanes. Goldberg had several kits with that style of ribs and spars. I have seen it in lots of plans and its; just can recall which ones.

Many full sized light planes of the tandem seat, fabric covered variety have a one piece spruce lumber spar going through holes in the wings without spar caps.
The Carl Goldberg Falcon and Skylark RC planes incorporate the spar through the rib design. Never had a problem with those wings failing though it did take a bit of patience to build the wings. I really like the Falcon 56 model and have build 4 of them over the years. What a nice flying plane.

Joe
Nov 02, 2018, 08:59 AM
Thread OP

Wing servos

Hello folks,
Was wondering on some recommended advice on servos for the wing. Wanted to go with mini servos but not sure on torque requirements,any suggestions would be helpful
Thanks for your time
Brian
Nov 02, 2018, 09:16 AM
I researched mini servos and found that the torque is now significantly higher than the standard older servos that my 1990's great planes and Top Flite kits specify, especially when they are supplied 6 volts. I used standard sized servos but I didn't see any reason mini servos wouldn't have worked. This is just based on the specs I've never substituted a mini servo. I did use a mini digital Hitec for my retract doors and it easily bends the metal pushrod like a wet noodle if something hangs up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwood310
Hello folks,
Was wondering on some recommended advice on servos for the wing. Wanted to go with mini servos but not sure on torque requirements,any suggestions would be helpful
Thanks for your time
Brian
Nov 02, 2018, 09:28 AM
Hi Brian,

I would not want to use a mini servo on the Citabria wing but that is just a personal preference. One of the Citabria builds I did in the past used regular Futaba 3004 servos and the second build used similar JR 537 servos. There are many real good ball bearing or digital servos out there to choose from. Both of the above mentioned Citabria models flew without problems and responded nicely to aileron radio input.

Joe
Nov 02, 2018, 09:30 AM
Good looking Cook+Maid needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwood310
Hello folks,
Thanks for your time
Brian
I used HS-225 for the ailerons - many flights, no problems
Pics from my Blog: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...58&postcount=2
Nov 02, 2018, 10:26 AM
Thread OP
Was looking at those
Nov 02, 2018, 11:49 AM
Hitecs are my main servos these day, both digital and regular, but sometimes tactics as they have some special sizes that are needed sometimes. Hitec is sure making some nice servos with good prices these days.
Nov 02, 2018, 01:37 PM
I put 2 JR 537 in mine but if I did another one, I'd probably go with Hitec 82 metal gear.
JR 537 is 40 oz, Hitec 82MG is 38.8 oz, close enough I think.
Rick
Nov 02, 2018, 02:12 PM
I don't remember what I put in mine and the wing is hanging above my desk!
Nov 02, 2018, 02:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger
I don't remember what I put in mine and the wing is hanging above my desk!
Lol!
Nov 02, 2018, 02:24 PM
Thread OP
Thank you guys for the replies I'm thinking the hitecs are going to be it. I will check out the 82 Mg Rick and go from there.
Last edited by Bwood310; Nov 02, 2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Spelling and punctuation

Quick Reply