Oct 27, 2018, 03:33 PM
Multirotor geek
Thread OP
Discussion

UK facing longest fall in living standards for over 60 years, finds think tank

Quote:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...1b_HISsSbqfPyw

The UK is on course for the longest period of falling living standards since records began, according to a leading think tank.

The Resolution Foundation said data released in the Budget showed British are families suffering the biggest squeeze in their finances since the 1950s.

It explained in a report published this morning that the UK economy will be £42bn smaller in 2022 than we thought it would be in March after official data indicated dismal growth forecasts in coming years.

Clyde
Oct 27, 2018, 03:38 PM
Useful Idiot
That's more or less my view on what the UK can expect from Brexit.
Oct 27, 2018, 03:48 PM
Flower of Scotland
Mine too, and sounds consistent with the forecasts for the economy by institutions such as the CBI, prior to the referendum, if we voted to leave.

We can't say we weren't warned.
Oct 27, 2018, 03:59 PM
Official Old Git!
'Austerity' - and screwing the public over welfare/transport/education/healthcare, Brexit, totally cocked-up Brexit 'negotiations', no attempt to address any other problems due to whining on about Brexit.... what else does anyone with just half-a-brain-cell expect!

This government over it's entire use has been a total cock-up for the population!

(But they still managed to vote for a 10% rise for themselves...)
Oct 27, 2018, 04:09 PM
And during that same period Britain has become increasingly less of a manufacturing economy and much more of a financial economy. New York is generally considered to be the capitol of the global financial industry. And London is a close second. And yet England now has very little in terms of a global manufacturing economy. When you think of British produced goods, what do you think of? Anything of real substance?

England created the industrial revolution and created the concept of a first world middle class society. But they have now moved beyond that and are an economy centered around a small group of extremely wealthy bankers and old money investors, along with a huge population of middle class or below middle class citizens and workers. If you want to know where the american economy and culture is headed - look to Britain. Itís pretty if you are either already wealthy or a banker, otherwise, it ainít pretty at all.
Oct 27, 2018, 04:15 PM
Official Old Git!
It was Thatcher's intent to push the UK onto being mainly a financial centre. She wasn't interested in manufacturing (from what I remember).

Brexit is doing a number on that, and leaving us damaged!
Oct 27, 2018, 04:15 PM
Useful Idiot
Clyde, there is already a very long running thread on Brexit that is still receiving posts. Might I suggest to you that you contact the moderator's (via report this post) to ask them to merge this thread with that one?

Quick Reply