Oct 25, 2018, 10:47 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Discussion

New Life for JR XP8103 - Using Spektrum DM9 Module!

Hello good people!

Just a heads up for those that might have a JR XP-8103 laying around without any use and collecting dust like mine were.

About 4 years ago, I was given two (2) JR XP-8103 Transmitters from a very good friend that moved away and didn't want to move these with him. I have had these in storage for all this time and did the following:

1. Purchased some new 3-Cell, 2500mAH, 3C, Lithium Polymers for both.
2. Purchased Spektrum DM9 2.5G (Spectrum) Band module "JR" compatible.
3. Cleaned the radios and adjusted the sticks and that's it!

The Spektrum DM9 2.4G Module works like a charm, however, you need to place the radio in PPM mode and lucky me it was already when I powered it UP after 4 years in storage.

Now I have the better of both worlds, I can continue flying my older fleet that still has Super Narrow Band 72-Mhz radios and my newer fleet with the DSM-2 and DSM-X receivers. The JR XP-8103 was almost a top-of-the-line radio in it's day so, it's just amazing the quality and wide variation of switches and nubs!

JR XP-8103 Manual:
http://www.jramericas.com/manuals/jrp8612-manual.pdf

A few pictures!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2018, 11:10 PM
★★★★★★★★
do you work for NASA ?
Oct 25, 2018, 11:26 PM
Win some lose some
Very nice. Good for you, otherwise it might have gone buy the wayside.

I was at a swap meet a couple years ago and one was selling new in the box , receiver, servo's everything for, 25$ . I was tapped out or it would have been mine. Loved those old JR radio's.
Oct 26, 2018, 02:19 AM
My understanding is that the DM9 being old tech and dsm2 only will not work with all or some of the latest models.
Glad to hear you are happy. This has been available and in use for 10+? years or so.

If in a noisy rf environment DSM2 may not be the best choice.
It was/is fine around my area but............
Oct 26, 2018, 04:39 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubguy
My understanding is that the DM9 being old tech and dsm2 only will not work with all or some of the latest models.
Glad to hear you are happy. This has been available and in use for 10+? years or so.

If in a noisy rf environment DSM2 may not be the best choice.
It was/is fine around my area but............
My "Other" Transmitter "is" the First Generation Spektrum DX7. This transmitter puts out DSM-2.

This First Generation DX7 "Airplane / Heli" being "OLD TECH" as you describe it works very well with DSM-2 and DSM-X receivers with no issues.

The Spektrum DM9 module will be transmitting the same, DSM-2 so, I do NOT understand your post?
Oct 26, 2018, 04:56 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder
Very nice. Good for you, otherwise it might have gone buy the wayside.

I was at a swap meet a couple years ago and one was selling new in the box , receiver, servo's everything for, 25$ . I was tapped out or it would have been mine. Loved those old JR radio's.
Yes indeed, my principal Transmitter is the First Generation Spektrum DX7 with the JR Case. It is identical to another 72-Mhz Transmitter that I have which is the JR XP-7202 and both cases are identical and menus as well. Of course one warns you it is about to transmit 72-Mhz at a specific frequency and the DX7 just does it right after you POWER UP.

Both transmitters have performed flawlessly and I have had great successes with both.

It is my understanding that using the JR XP-8103 with the Spektrum DM9 module will not disappoint as well.
Oct 26, 2018, 05:42 AM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubguy
.......dsm2 only will not work with all or some ..........
DSM2 is alive and well, even in the newest Rx's.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t#post40199796
Oct 26, 2018, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial
The Spektrum DM9 module will be transmitting the same, DSM-2 so, I do NOT understand your post?
While they're all DSM2, there are differences between a module system and an integrated system. The latest T-series receivers do not support the DSM2 from modules very well, but with integrated (DX7) they are fine.

Andy
Oct 26, 2018, 12:09 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
While they're all DSM2, there are differences between a module system and an integrated system. The latest T-series receivers do not support the DSM2 from modules very well, but with integrated (DX7) they are fine.

Andy
Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for that post!

I am glad that I do NOT have any use of Telemetry feature for any of my RC "Scale/Sport" Airplanes in my fleet.

Do not have any "T" Receivers and will not have any in the future.

Carlos
Oct 26, 2018, 12:10 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse
do you work for NASA ?
Yes
Oct 26, 2018, 12:29 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for that post!

I am glad that I do NOT have any use of Telemetry feature for any of my RC "Scale/Sport" Airplanes in my fleet.

Do not have any "T" Receivers and will not have any in the future.

Carlos
Carlos,

You probably will have them in the future, as Spektrum has mostly discontinued non-T receivers in their line.
Oct 26, 2018, 02:16 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
Carlos,

You probably will have them in the future, as Spektrum has mostly discontinued non-T receivers in their line.
Yes, indeed!

This is why I am purchasing every Spektrum DSM-2, DSM-X receivers (Non Telemetry) that I can find.

I am purchasing one a week!

Can't stand those new Transmitters and their prices!
Oct 26, 2018, 02:35 PM
★★★★★★★★
Quote:
do you work for NASA ?
Quote:
Yes
if money is not an issue why don't you recycle all of your vintage radios ?
Oct 26, 2018, 03:05 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
if money is not an issue why don't you recycle all of your vintage radios ?
Sorry! Money is an issue. Got to save so, I can retire like those present at my RC Club.

If I keep buying new Transmitters with the promise that this one is going to be it for a long time then, I would NOT have any $$$ saved.

Ha!

Okay, seriously I believe that these OLDER transmitters are still very good. If I was crying about keeping a entry Transmitter then, I would think that I be a little Pound Foolish.

I have acquired genuine Spektrum AR8000, a high-speed 8-channel receiver and with it's 2400 resolution has resulted in a very smooth and crisp control of my new Tower Hobby Sport 60 Electric powered model while using the First Generation Spektrum DX7.

I can attest that the XP-8103 will be great with this setup while using the DM9 module and the AR8000 (DSM-X) receiver.

I have rid of some entry level Transmitter but, they ALL have been 4-Channel Super narrow band 72-Mhz.

Therefore, for my purposes, I will continue to enjoy the RC Hobby with four main Transmitters for my fleet. (First Gen DX7, XP-7202, and the two XP-8103).

I am sure others here would disagree and that's fine!
Oct 26, 2018, 03:15 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP

AR8000 Receiver and XP8103 with DM9 Module!

Well,

Just noticed that the AR8000 is Telemetry compatible...............

Will keep you ALL updated what happens with this receiver and using my XP-8103 with the DM9 Module.

I am aware that "Compatible" means that you need a separate device to provide Telemetry so, I am certain there will be no issues!

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...odID=SPMAR8000

Quick Reply