This thread is privately moderated by VicT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 25, 2018, 02:13 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

FT Radian assembly and maiden notes

Got about 10 hand launches and 8 minutes on a new 1300 3S that was VERY tight in the foam fuse. I may remove some foam to get some flow thru cooling. The LED connector on the bottom of the stabilizer (see pic 3 on page 5 of manual) was hanging outside and looking ugly. So I recesssed it and taped over it. See pics below.

Binding went fast as there are no special settings for the DX radios. Rudder is on the right aileron stick but I like to have rudder ALSO on the left rudder stick so I added a mix that is always on. It’s at 50 percent. On the maiden I had SAFE Self Level Off so I could trim her out. The rudder and elevator were aligned with their surfaces but added -64 units of up elevator trim to slow her down. At full power she wanted to go vertical and then inverted just like the original design but with Self Level On and full up elevator she climbs at 45 degrees max and this is what I will be using. Full down gives 45 degree dive and speed picks up just a little to maybe 20 mph. Radian is still a slow poke and picks up lift very well.

Today we had a direct crosswind with a little gust to maybe 10 mph. Nothing that the Radian and experienced pilot could not handle. When the crosswind gets under the upwind wing and lifts it the rudder tries to maintain heading. This sets up a little wobble just like the original Radian. If this design had automatic wing leveling with ailerons then I dont think there would be any wobble. For future ops I will put in spoileron/flaperons in to see if gyro wing leveling will take the “wobble” out.

I removed the prop to inspect the motor shaft adapter and lost one of the blade axles on the floor. I finally found it and to prevent loss I used yellow painters masking tape to keep them with the yoke. Every time I shut the motor down inflight I had a prop blade hanging down. So I will be putting folding prop bands on to keep blades snug against the fuselage.
When I was disassembling the FT I misplaced the two black 3 mm wing screws. They are on the club table and may disappear. So I will use the spare and try and get 2 similar devices from Ace hardware. I may design something that keeps the screws/pegs with the model. I did this with the nice clear canopy as it nose has a tape hinge on the outside and inside to keep it with the fuselage. Sooner or later the magnets will fail and the canopy will open up but will stay with the fuselage.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply